Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Thanks for the info Dustin. I am currently flying/own a 2008 CTLS and the parachute definitely gives me some peace of mind (as well as my wife!)
    I've looked at getting a twin of some sort in the future but for now I'm just enjoying flying for the fun of it.

Tom

I had an engine failure in a 210 last year and dead sticked it into a field. Upgraded to a Baron. I completely understand your concern over having one engine. That’s the biggest hurdle I have in getting my wife to let me build a kit Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dentist, I'm curious why you had to dead stick into a field? I thought all you twin flyers feel safe because you can keep going on one engine.

I have no personal knowledge on this, but I have heard of more than one twin engine pilots say that many twins cannot hold altitude with one engine out, to say nothing of the difficulty in maintaining control with only one engine at full power. Could it be that some (not all) twins give you a false sense of security? If I'm going to come down, I think I would rather be in a light single engine with good glide ratio and control-ala Kitfox. Just sayin-FWIW.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim you may have read it wrong, but he was saying he lost an engine in a 210 and dead-sticked the 210. Now he has a baron so that he has the safety of a twin. You are correct in thinking some times having a twin doesn't help engine outs. The saying we used to say is when one engine quites the other just takes you to the scene of the accident. Most twins including some turbo props give you no guarantee that you can takeoff let alone climb on one engine. Not saying they can't, but heavy, hot or high you can start looking for a place to land. I agree the kitfox goes soo slow, you increase your odds just by the fact you can go so slow.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yes, I did misread it. Was assuming he was talking about dead sticking a twin.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Got a few goodies to try! Did not have time this week to put the VG's on, but looking forward to soon. I am going to put them closer to the leading edge like everyone who is getting good results. 2" is what I am thinking right now. Excited to try those. Corys kitfox is getting closer! We flipped the switch and got the Vertical power programed. Of course it was much easier than mine because I just transferred my setup to his. Since we wired his the same. We are having some can-bus problems but we should get those sorted out quickly. Trying to figure out how to transfer my setup from G3X touch to his because everything is wired the same. Trying to copy the config file to a SD card and load it on his. So far his is not seeing the config file. I am hoping that after I update his to the same version it should start to work. It would save hours of programming engine limits and alll the settings if I can get the config files to copy.

Okay now for what I am most excited about! I was skeptical of the balance master. I had spent over two days balancing my prop and getting it as perfect as I could. I used the Dynvibe G3x and went from .89 IPS to .05IPS. After seeing Larrys review and putting one on the Mangy Fox, I decided I wanted to give them a try. To get my prop balance I added close to 25 grams. I balanced mine at 5200 rpms because I figured this is where I will spend a lot of time. With the added weight 5200rpms was smooth. The problem I felt is when I powered back there was spots that where not as smooth. I called balanced mastered and ask them if I should leave the weight on because I had gotten mine balanced down to .05 ips. Chris told me that I need to remove all weights because they only help at a certain rpm, but will hurt it at others. He told me just put on the balance master and it will help through all ranges. I honestly felt it was going to be a snake oil and did not seem the amount of weight I had added that this would work. Mind you I was about to buy a dynavibe because I wanted to balance my plane every year and always keep my prop in balance. Went and flew it and I all can say is WOW! I can't believe I spent the hours I did balancing my prop when I could have done was put this silly thing on. It doesn't weigh much, maybe a pound, but did not seem like it had enough weight inside to help. I put it on and started my plane. As I was waiting for my engine to warm up I thought to myself, this stupid thing didn't help. My plane seem to have a hop up and down with the prop as I was waiting for the engine to hit 120F. Once I released the brakes and began to taxi it seemed about the same, but no better around 2000 rpms. Doing a runup still did not seem to be worth it and I was pretty skeptical. Once I rolled the power on and headed down the runway, I maybe for a split second felt vibration, but then immediately it went smooth. After I was up in the air I let go of the stick and could not believe how smooth the stick was. Defiantly much smoother than before. I went over to the practice area and tried different power settings. It was smooth through all power ranges. All I can say is I am sold. Pretty cool invention! Its pretty amazing how well it works. Through all power ranges its smooth. We are ordering another to go on my brothers Kitfox and will put it on his from the beginning. Like Larry said, this makes the Dynavibe obsolete.

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

Last edited by Shadowrider; 01-05-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Dustin, is this a direct bolt on item or did you have to modify any of the holes to get it to mount?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Direct bolt on. Took 10 min to install. Goes between spacer and prop backplate.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So I wonder if the engine will always be rough on the ground/startup until you get up to take off RPM. OR if the balancer was just centering and will hold a reasonably good position for your next start up?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    So I wonder if the engine will always be rough on the ground/startup until you get up to take off RPM.
    That is what I would be concerned about. If the vibrations are worst than stock on startup and initial idle, you are going to be spending lots of accumulated time during warmup running the engine rough till the balancer takes effect.

So rough startup & smooth cruise, vs. average startup and nearly(?) perfect cruise via traditional balancing.

I would think engine cold would be the absolute worst time for it to have any imbalance.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio