Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Fingers crossed that final inspection happens in a week. Scheduled for the 5th. In the meantime Cory has been working on small odds and end jobs. We where not satisfied with the supplied wood stall fences because ours where severely warped. I am currently not running any. Cory has been determined to figure out this carbon fiber stuff. I think this time around he has got it figured out. Switched to infusion and it worked better. I have been flying mine quite a bit. Decided to fly down to the IBEX lake bed and go camping with the family. It was fun giving rides. Lost track around 20 on how many landings I did. One lucky kid got to ride down and the wife brought the others in the truck and dirtbikes. Could not get much funnier than dirt biking and airplane flying! First night she spend the night outside.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Looks like a great time Dustin. Thanks for posting the pics. I stole your idea of the under wing lights for my SuperSTOL. Looks great!

Clark

Dustin, that looks fantastic all lit up on the lake bed. I have been prepared to camp with mine for some time but Covid has my destination down in Barrego Springs closed down. As you can imagine, CA doesn't have a lot of options for camping in the back country. Ill get it done hopefully in the fall. Im certainly going to get some camping in on Catalina Island as well, as soon as the stars align.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Clark I am exciting for you. Your fiends with Terry correct? Excited for you to fly it with edge motor. They pull hard and throw you back in the seat on takeoff.

Eddie Catilina would be awesome! You will have to post some pictures. I am hoping to get out to some back country strips next week.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-26-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Clark I am exciting for you. Your fiends with Terry correct? Excited for you to fly it with edge motor. They pull hard and throw you back in the seat on takeoff.
    Dustin, yes, I'm friends with Terry. We just got the wings back on his Kitfox. He's moving along working on his panel now waiting for the engine. Yes, I've got an Edge Black Edition Epex 300Ti coming soon for my SuperSTOL. Can't wait! Terry and I will be covering my fuselage in the next week or so. We're living vicariously through you and others videos and stories. Thanks for posting your adventures!

Clark

All the best on your inspection. That night pic is cool!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Looks like you had a great time Dustin thanks for sharing.

Well bad news.....we failed inspection. Unfortunately the DAR I used for 33TF retired. We have been waiting for a new DAR to be hired to get N53TF inspected. He was hired recently by the FAA, or appointed, and the day before inspection we where informed two FAA representatives would be showing up with the DAR to watch over his shoulder. DAR told Cory to plan the inspection to take a long time because the previous day it took half a day to inspect a plane that was already flying. Sorry if the DAR happens to read this, don't take it personal, but I feel he was nit picking items. I guess I understand his position, that he felt like he had to because the FAA was present. He failed safety wire because the end was not bent over which could cut you? Safety wire had to much space between the bolt and and was not twisted to "spec". Biggest item he did not like was how we passed the brake lines through the fuselage. He wanted them to pass through fabric like manual shows. Cory argued that was for the grove gear and not the Cabane gear and some details are not outlined specifically. Ultimately he lost and was written up and will not be passed until we comply. I completely dis-agree with how he wants us to run the brake lines through the fabric. Grove gear it works fine but not as good on the cabane gear. By doing it through the fabric it will change the pivot point of the brake line and will have much more moment in the brake line. We went through the fuselage and down the back of the gear to keep the brake line as close to the pivot point of the landing gear attachment point to reduce any stress on the brake line. That is how I did it on mine and its been working great. My brake line is sleeved with heat shrink and then secured to the fuselage in the hold that it passes through with black RTV making it somewhat rigid to the frame. The brake line then travels down the gear leg to the caliper. I tested this when the gear was on and moved the gear. There is very little travel of the gear at the pivot point so there is no stress or movement on the brake line. I then included extra brake line in the gear leg so if there was to be stress or pulled it would pull excess from the gear leg. DAR did not like that. He wants it in the fabric. Cory did his best on discussing why we dont want to do this. We are working on some possible solutions that will hopefully satisfy the DAR.

Now the good news! N33TF is running and flying great! Been to the backcountry of Utah camping and I will post some photos later!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That's a bummer. So do you have to pay the guy to come again after you get things corrected? or can you correct things and contact via photos and phone calls to the dar?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

WOW! Sounds like a perfect storm. Sorry to hear this. I know you guys will get it worked out, it just sucks for the delay. Especially for those items discussed.

Clark