Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Your wiring looks great so far. Very clean. I like your ground bar. The one I bought was more compact, and it doesn't look as clean.

I built the majority of my plane between 4:00AM and 6:00AM in the morning. Everyone else is still asleep, so I didn't feel like I was stealing time from my family.

My wife however, is quick to point out that I was asleep by 8 every night, so I guess you pay the piper some time.
    Ha! That’s the same thing I am doing! I seem to be going earlier everyday. This morning I started at 3:30am! I keep telling my wife I wish there was a pill. She laughs and says there is but you will would lose your medical.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-30-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

We see a lot of your plane. How is the other one coming along?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I am usually too lazy to walk over and take some pictures. Cory is about a month or so behind me. He got sick, then got burned out so he took a month off. He is back at it now. Because there is a lot of unknowns with the engine install, the plan is to finish one and then see what mods need to be made to the other. His cowl is cut, just waiting on Naca ducts....ect. He is getting close to start wiring. I am trying to get wiring done first, because only one can wire at a time. Only bought one set of tools.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-30-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The wire pile is still building! I usually like to clean up after each day, but this one I am enjoying leaving a pile. Makes me fill like I am making progress.I am down to the last servo, then I need to run can bus to each. I am also down to the last row on the ground bus. I still have the wings grounds, but I think I will have enough. Then time to power it up.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Man, looking good Dustin. Even the pile of scrap.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie! I need to get tail number ordered. Can you post your details of what you did? Color/font? I thought I had a picture of it but can't seem to find what you did.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I used Aerographics.com out of Denver. You can select "registration numbers" from their column on the left and choose one of three styles. I believe I have Semi Round.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I read through AC No:45-2E https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_45-2E.pdf and did not find anything stating what color your tail number or experimental label has to be? Does anyone know if it's not high contrast if that could be an issue, like same color of the aircraft?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

It could be. I'm certain in can't be the same color as the aircraft unless you have a very generous and lenient DAR. From the AC:

7.3 N-Number Legibility.
    The N-number is required to be legible and written in capital Roman style letters without any ornamentation. You may use shading or a border only if it makes the number more legible. Use the following guidelines:

7.3.1 Make sure the color contrasts sufficiently with the color of the fuselage to make iteasy to read. Be especially careful when the background is highly decorated, as in checkering. Consider applying the requirements of 14 CFR 23.811(c)(7)(ii) or 14 CFR 25.811(f)(2), Emergency exit marking, as a test of whether the color of the N-number contrasts sufficiently with the background.
    Do you know who will be doing your inspection? You could ask him his opinion before you do anything permanent.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Ah thanks! I thought I read that and couldn’t find that. Thanks. I better not go with silver on silver.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!