Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 59 of 85 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Yes, the Dynon Skyview AOA gives beeps, increasing in frequency until it goes solid sound just before stall. It has nothing to do with speed; it senses wing AOA.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Just to clarify it does not call out airspeed but gives you a beeps based on speed. Solid beep is when your wing is about to break. You can keep your eyes outside and just listen to the AOA. Landing short you want it beeping or you will be long. Trents videos you can hear it.
    Double clarify......It gives you beeps based on AOA, which is effected by speed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Cowl is painted. WOW, painting in not my favorite. To stressful! I can't sleep the night before because I know one little mess-up and I am spending hours sanding it down AGAIN! Decals are back on. Next week..... time for a trip to Idaho. Wish me luck!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Really incredible looking aircraft guys. It’s been exciting watching you both progress through two very intense builds. Bar-raising workmanship throughout. Looking forward to seeing them in person. I’m quite sure even hi-res photos can’t do justice.
    No doubt they’ll both be in the 2021 Kitfox Aircraft Calendar.👍. Congrats and enjoy every flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great work you guys, thanks for posting.

Thanks guys it has been a journey for sure! Cory has 25 hours of the phase 1 done. Fortunately most of the brain damage was done on my plane so it’s going pretty smooth for him. I have a 130 hours and am feeling brave enough to take it to Idaho next week. Weather looks good. Headed to the back country mecca of Johnson Creek and surrounding areas. Tuesday to Saturday if anyone is interested in coming up, or down? TFR south for a fire that we will have to work around. Scott Nobel is the tour guide so bring your big boy pants!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Well I a made it to Johnson creek and back! Crossed a lot of inhospitable terrain to get there. Airmet for turbulence below 12,000 in Utah when I left so I went up to 12500' and found smooth air. Winds were out of the northeast at 40 and I was worried about being on the backside of the Oaker mountains so I went to 14500. Took my O2 with me and ended up just wearing it the entire trip up. When your groundspeed drops to 60, its painfull going so slow. Decide I would rather have smooth air and a headwind. Wind shifted to out of the east so groundspeed picked up. First leg I went to Burley for fuel. Then from Burley I went to Mccall. I ran into the dreaded fuel imbalance problem. Yes.... I am flying level. In fact, I tried to slip it to aid in the fuel transfer but did not help. I have tracked it to do something with the fuel cap. Switched caps and it followed. I stopped for fuel and one tank took 11 gallons and the other tank took 2. And that was after it was on the ground for a bit. I check the vent and it was not plugged. Made sure it felt like it was sealing. Met up with Scott and I followed him into Johnson Creek. It was amazing country, but man I was pretty nervous about losing and engine. Very few if any options of a place to put it. Pretty much have to accept the fact that if you lose your engine, hopefully you will survive but you will most likely lose your plane. Johnson Creek did not disappoint. By far the coolest airport I have been to. Camping was amazing sleeping by the river. So glad to get away from all the "Covid" campers. After getting camp setup we did a trip up to Krassel. (24k) Its awesome country. Woke up the next morning and oil level was low, oil was hiding in the engine somewhere, and the smoke had come in from nearby fire. Made me nervous so we decided to head to Mccall and check things. Let me tell you the Idaho back country is not for the faint of heart. You breakdown back there and it serious business. After Mccall, finding everything was okay, decided to head back home.

Here is a picture of my fuel imbalance. One sight gauge is completely full with no air in it. One is towards the bottom. It actually got worse to where I could not see any fuel in my left tank unless I turned. Didn't want to find out what happened when one tank went empty. Brandon has me trying a few things and I am also going to try a new gasket. On the way home it did it again. When I landed at Burley for fuel I took the gasket out and flipped it over and for the 2 hour flight home fuel balanced correctly. I am thinking the new gasket may resolve it? Lets just say I was glad to have it back in the hangar!

Anotber quick note for G3x users. I have been calibrating fuel flow by going into config page and changing value for the cube. Well I just learned you can go to fuel page on g3x and press menu and you can put in actual fuel burn compared to estimated and it will make the adjustment for you.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 09-14-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun. Sounds like you figured out the imbalance problem. Let us know if the new gasket works.

Clark

Nice write up. Beautiful country. Seems like every time I go there the West is burning filling the air with smoke.

If you want the best fuel cap gaskets get these blue ones from a Mercedes dealer. Lifetime gaskets.
    Been using these for 20 years in 3 different Kitfoxs. Nothing affects them. A little thicker than stock gaskets.
    Still not sure what Mercedes uses them for. Don’t care.😉

7D054466-8B38-422B-AFED-3398830C60D9.jpeg

58F94907-08E8-44F3-8336-FFC570A65C65.jpeg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Desertfox! I actually found and old thread that you had posted them and I pulled the part number and found them on Amazon. They are enroute and should be here next week. I will then test them out. Hoping they fix the issue. My theory is when my tank/gasket gets cold it stops sealing so the pressure from the other tank is pressurizing header tank and not allowing the other tank to flow into it. Both times it happened it was after I had been at altitude and it was below freezing. Since I was able to switch fuel caps and the exact opposite happened I am fairly confident its with the gasket seal. I will report back once I test fly them.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!