Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I wish the right number was what the left number is showing! What are most using for engine time? Seems like I spend a lot of time with the engine idling and warming up. Are most running engine time when engine is started or above a certain rpm? I am thinking I switch to above 2500rpm engine time to start counting. My oil is not even slightest dirty at 40 hours.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Everything I've ever had the hour meter starts off of oil pressure. If you have oil pressure it counting time.
    What triggers the right number?
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 11-01-2019 at 09:21 AM.

G3x knows when your in the air. Can’t recall off hand but if I remember it’s speed and altitude combined.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

My g3x is listening to the rotax fadec which records time internally and how it is triggered cannot be changed from my understanding. That being said, mine seems to be going up faster than I would expect as well.

For engine time in the G3x I can selected oil pressure, or rpm, or variable rpm. It takes awhile for these engines to warm up and then my home airport I sit idle for 10-15 mins every flight. I think I am going to change it to not trigger engine time if its under 2000rpms???
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

While I realize that my Continental IO-240 engine requires it more than the Rotax , I have found that preheating below 40 degrees keeps that ground sitting to a minimum waiting for my oil temp to reach the 75 degree minimum required for application of takeoff power. With this homemade preheater with parts from home depot aircraft supply my oil temp is about 85 degrees and the rest of the engine is toasty warm and ready for immediate flight after about a 2 hour preheat. Saves gas, saves engine gets you on your way without the ground stop. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I wish the right number was what the left number is showing! What are most using for engine time? Seems like I spend a lot of time with the engine idling and warming up. Are most running engine time when engine is started or above a certain rpm? I am thinking I switch to above 2500rpm engine time to start counting. My oil is not even slightest dirty at 40 hours.
    You might be concerned about the engine hours for the wrong reason. I found this explaination in an AOPA article:
    The manufacturer's recommended TBO is based on the FAA definition of "time in service" as "the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing" (Federal Aviation Regulation Part 1).

The bottom line is aircraft & engine total time or TIS are based on the aircraft's flight hours. This is the number shown on the right on your screen. Your engine's TBO can be based on the TIS/flight time, not engine time. The engine time on the left is kind of a meaningless number unless you are renting the plane. As a A&P-IA I look at the tachometer on planes that have a recording tachometers for TIS. On digital panels I look at the "Total Time".

FYI I set my engine time to be triggered by oil pressure on my G3X and I ignore this number. Engine time is just like Hobbs time, which is what most flight schools do with rental plane. This is so they can charge the users for ALL the running time. Hobbs time has nothing to do with the legal TIS.

The G3X is programed to record "Total Hours" exactly as defined by the FAA, it uses a couple parameters to determine when the plane is flying.

Just like Bruce I preheat my IO-240 for a couple hours when it is below 50. Like he says, the oil is already warmed up and you can safely do the run up and take off without having to wait and waste fuel.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Rotax factory bases all their maintenance time intervals on total running time (Hobbs). This is per the Rotax-Owner website forums.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Phil thanks for that explanation. The aircraft I have always operated we go by flight time (time in the air) as you have said, for MX intervals.

So Jiott your saying oil changes at 50 hours of engine running, not flight time, is what rotax is saying though?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yes, Rotax 50 hr oil changes, 100 hr inspections, 200 hr carb inspections, 800/1000 hr gearbox inspections, etc. are all based on run times (Hobbs). This has been discussed many times on the Rotax-Owner forums, and the factory experts all seem to agree on Hobbs time.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS