Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 48 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

That looks great the 2nd time for sure. It should look even better once its on the plane!

Your cowl looks excellent, you guys have done a great job. Glad to see your exhaust arrived, glad you talked me into waiting for the new exhaust, worth the wait. You have been very helpfull, and thanks for posting. John

My brother got his livery done.....well mostly done. I didn't think it would come out as well as it did. He used knife-less tape and rolls of vinyl. I went aerographics route but wishing I did the same as him. May just have to down the road. Interior is going in, and then he is pretty much finished up. Waiting on exhaust from Edge to switch out to the new version then we need to do some ground runs.

Finished condition inspection, and got new exhaust installed. In the process I discovered the egt on #2 is too close to the oil filter. I have to say Edge performance makes great products and on top of that have great customer support. They are making the correction and will send out new updated header. So something that had bother me from the beginning is how the exhaust is staining the Oratex. I tried every cleaner and considered every option. Oratex was will to replace all the stained oratex, but I was not quite willing to recover to have the same problem. So the best solution I came up with was painting oratex to cover the stains and protect it from future staining. On Corys we extended the exhaust to try and get it away from the fabric, and are going to try and ceramic coat the fabric. I decided to move my exhaust also, mostly because it looks better I think but should also help keep things clean.

I checked the weather on Saturday and looked like I had a window to get it painted. I am using a poly urethane single stage paint. I have painted some test fabric and its been on for over a month. It seems to have the flex needed and it cleans off so hoping this works. I even taped a piece of painted fabric to the gear leg where its staining and flew for a couple hours. Stains came off the painted section with some simple green. I was nervous about getting over-spray on the plane so I did my best to cover the plane up. I started to painting and weather turned and started to snow. Luckily my other brother Trevor, (two brothers live next to me) came and helped hold a sheet of cardboard until the paint flashed. I was sweating bullets! Turned out good and paint came out a really good match. I don't enjoy painting because it is very stressful. The best part of painting is taking the tape off! Time to start putting it back together and get it back up in the air!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Man Dustin that is beautiful. I don't understand "knifeless tape, vinyl roll" though. So, Im curious. In the end, will your aerographics look the same?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Mine will have a stripe but I didn’t have the vision to do all the details Cory did so stripe is pretty simple. Knifeless tape you basically lay the design out with small tape with a wire in it. Then you lay a sheet of vinyl overtop. Then you pull the wire and it cuts it. Bunch of videos on YouTube. Pretty cool stuff.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Just watched a video on the knifeless tape and that looks like that would sure make the vinyl work much easier. Thanks for posting it.

Shoot! Looks like I am waiting on parts to get back flying. Shock on T3 didn't last long. Seal is bad and leaked the oil out. Called Alaska airframes and they said they would try and warranty it and they would call me back. Never heard from them so I called and they have a message that they are shut down. Found the same shock on amazon and ebay. Anyone wondering its Gusty 165mm 1000lbs spring. Just waiting for shipping. I ended up getting one of Ebay because amazon says 2day prime shipping will take 2 weeks.
    https://www.amazon.com/GUSTY-Mountai...8-8&th=1&psc=1

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hi Dustin
    Are you not just going to replace the O-rings?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I thought about rebuilding it but these shocks are cheap china shocks that are like 50$. I think there is something also wrong with the internal valve. By the time I get the new seals and dissemble and refill with oil just decided to buy a new one. Thought about sourcing a fox air shock, but I actually prefer a spring because they are pretty failsafe. Blow a seal like I did you still have spring, just no rebound control. I noticed it on my last landing as it was springee on the tail.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Going to look at mine, I know they upgrade from the original, just don't know when. Thanks for the heads up.