Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 58 of 85 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Another note to G3X users. In phase 1 testing I did the "required" adsb test and passed. I printed the report and put it in my logbook. Fast forward and Cory is doing his phase 1. We request a report and it says failed. His aircraft is showing up fine on Flightaware, and flightradar24. When I flew at the same time as him, his adsb is reporting to my aircraft and everything looks normal. So we start digging into it. Apparently his rs232 port 3 from his transponder was off and it should of been selected adsb+gps. We wired both planes identical and I copied the config file from my plane to his. So I checked on my plane and rs232 port 3 was also showing off. So I requested another report on mine and the report came back failed on mine also. I turned port 3 back on(it used to be on) to adsb+gps and went flying. Requested another report for both our planes and both our planes passed. What I think happened is on one of the updates, this got selected off inadvertently. There is no indication in the cockpit and I would have not known I was failing. I had even recently been into Class B airspace and they did not indicate anything was amiss. So, not sure what it was not transmitting correctly, but it is now. So if you are running a G3X and you have not done a adsb report recently, you may want to making sure you are in "compliance" or make sure your adsb+gps is selected on, in your transponder.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 08-24-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Great info Dustin, thanks for passing this along.

Clark

MORE AIR!

Out with the old, in with the new. Pretty sad cutting up a cowl that took so long to paint. Well.... I guess I know the painter and I will have him paint it again!
    The summer months have revealed that I need more fresh air over the intercooler. Based on Corys flight test.....I am going to the larger naca on mine. I also decided if I am going to be cutting up the Naca to make it fit, I might as well open the naca up. Went from a 2" opening to almost 3". Then boxed in the intercooler like Cory did. Flight testing it tomorrow. If all goes well then I will pull the cowl off and repaint it.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Close to 30F cooler intake temps!

Test flying went well. Larger Naca is defiantly the way to go. I would also suggest boxing in your intercooler. I used .025 aluminum and some baffling material. Took a couple hours to build. Cory and I went to the west desert and did some flying. I opened up my Naca to 3" but seems that did not offer noticeable difference. So, not sure that mod is worth the effort. With the cooler intake temps I saw a noticeable performance difference. Lowering the boost another point in the GPC table. So cowling is off back home to get it sanded down and painted. ARG!

Found a couple new places to land on some BLM land. I would have to say flying with another aircraft and doing off airport landings is pretty fun! Testing on Corys is going well and not many tweaks being done. He is sticking to runways until 40 hours so he did a couple fly-bys. He is just trying to get a better feel for the plane before taking it off airport. I have said it before, but the AOA is such a useful tool. Highly recommend it to any builders contemplating it. Really helps you land short, and helps when you are low and slow looking outside the plane. We are used to flying as a crew having a crew member say, "airspeed." Garmins audio for the AOA is so helpful IMO. Its like having a crew member calling speeds for you.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Garmins audio for the AOA is so helpful IMO. Its like having a crew member calling speeds for you.
    Totally agree. The Garmin AOA with aural annunciation is a great help for STOL approaches. I don't look at airspeed but fly the AOA's sound and aircraft's feel. You do need to get it calibrated properly.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I love the idea of the Garmin calling out the AOA. Does anyone know if the Dynon HDX has this function?

Just to clarify it does not call out airspeed but gives you a beeps based on speed. Solid beep is when your wing is about to break. You can keep your eyes outside and just listen to the AOA. Landing short you want it beeping or you will be long. Trents videos you can hear it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I think the back country just waved the white flag and surrendered.
    Beautiful machines.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yeah those two have gorgeous planes and they get to fly in pairs whenever they want. You guys are going to have so much fun. I am so looking forward to when Fred and Todd get their planes done.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Those 2 planes are amazing. Can wait to live the adventures through you. Thx for all you've shared. It's extremely helpful to those of us just starting out! Eddie, I'm looking forward to it too.
    Todd Downing
    SS7 458LK
    Building
    G3X
    915is, Airmaster prop