Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

No because I am 100% confident it is not wiring on our side and I don't really want to do the trouble shooting for VPX. That was my next step to prove that its not a wiring issue if we have to but I prefer not to. They keep telling us that there is nothing wrong with the VPX but for a millisecond the voltage changes enough to cause the garmin LRU (first the adahars, now the GPS 20 to reboot) They said they tested it 3 times on there bench test, but I am telling them their equipment is not detecting the voltage change. Cory talked VPX into sending us a bench test unit they had to try. We put it an and low and behold.....guess what it works! No reboot! Now to try and figure out the next step. First we would prefer they replace our unit with a new unit, but sounds like they wont. They keep saying they will not replace it because nothing is wrong with it. I guess this is the hard part about experimentals is they have to deal with amateurs who don't know what they are doing. My guess is I am going to have to video it and come up with a way to prove to them there is a problem with the VPX. I just don't really want to tear my plane apart to do it. Cross our fingers they will believe us there is a problem with the VPX even though their bench test equipment is not showing anything. I have a electrical engineering friend that has some fancy equipment. Almost tempted of having him put it on his scope that can monitor and record voltage enough to prove to them we have an issue. Fingers crossed......
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-07-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Awe man, the Gremlin has got ahold of you. This is why I wanted to have my wiring done professionally. Certainly wouldn't have aided in this problem. I have the VPX as well. I guess I lucked out.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I think they are pretty solid and I love how they work. Sounds we just got really unlucky and they are skeptical of us because they have had no failures in 7 years since they switched manufacturers.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

One would think that the fact the issue migrated from one line replaceable unit (LRU in their language) to another with the same symptom from the same source and then follow up with replacing the unit with a known good bench unit clears the issue would alleviate some of the skepticism. One fail in how many units isn't a business calamity. Wonder what it takes for a trifecta to convince them. I was planning on using the VPX unit in my build but am really pulling on the reins now in seeing how they are handling this. Just doesn't make sense.

G

Good news is they finally believe us there is a problem! They have told us to ship the VPX back to them again and they will replace the board. We where going to keep the test unit they sent us to test but they said we don’t want the test unit because it’s old and has the old boards in it. So now we wait again for the repair probably 2 weeks. I guess on the bright side it’s pretty hot to fly here in Utah right now.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Excellent news Dustin. Glad Vertical Power came through for you and Cory.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

VPX is back in the plane. Need to do some taxi test and make sure its working properly, then its time to maiden N53TF.

In the mean time got a couple flights in. Flew a friend up to Bear Lake. Picture doesn't do it justice, but flying over bear lake feels like Caribbean blue!

Finally, I went out and did some off airport stuff. Fun times!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hope you don't mind, Dustin, but I'm using that last picture as my computer's desktop image (until I have one of my own plane!). Beautiful photo!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Awesome! Dustin, did VPX give you any feedback as to what the problem was? Did they actually find the problem this time?

Thanks,
    Clark

Damn Dustin, if that pic doesn't put a smile on your face nothing will. Really nice.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X