Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I am using Autogas for right now and it has improved over the last couple days, but still smelly. I think I am going to switch out to the stuff you have Brian and give it a try. Easy to do right now with very little fuel in it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Gates 27003 Fuel Line/PCV/EEC Hose

This is the hose I used.
    That is the stuff I ordered, but Amazon sent me 4219XL. Just barley noticed it was not the same number as what I ordered. DOH! Its too smelly, so I am going to switch it out.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Bummer, but, its such an easy job. No skin loss compared to all the fuel system changes you just finished.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So true. This is an easy one. Should be a quick change. I love amazon.....new fuel hose on it's way.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So the list is getting shorter! I need to install windshield, (its ready to go on), boot cowl is getting painted, turtle deck, install interior, install flapperons, rig it. Then I am going to move it to the airport. What do I need to move it? Isn't there a rod that needs to go through the tail? I see some have supported the tail with tires? What is recommended? Any and all info welcome. I have a tilt deck flat bed that I will be using. Thanks in advance! Wings will be on and plane should be complete when I transport it. I have about 15mile drive ahead. Good thing I am adjusted to getting up at 4am as I think that is when I will move it. Probably will be going about 1 mile and hour so I should make it by 7pm.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

There is always the transport kit offered by Kitfox. But, some people have just bent up a few pieces of 1/2 " pipe. You will need a length that supports the front spar down to the lift strut attachment point at the bottom of the airframe. You will also need two more that will attach to the through pipe at the vertical fin transition. These will attach at the other end to the wings at the strut attachment points. You will need to protect the vertical tail from the flapperons. The transport kit comes with the sleeve to slip over the top of the fin and the foam pads that are attached sit between the flapperons and the vertical stab. I supported the underside of the airframe with three tires as Josh did. I traveled at 55mph on the freeway. No need to crawl. Just make a safety stop and check it all out for security a few miles down the road. Nonetheless, you'll be glued to the rear view mirror. I like my transport kit. I feel that it gives me a bit more piece of mind should I need to retrieve my plane from someplace with a trailer. I would be stuck otherwise since you will certainly ruin it trying to transport without the support. I posted pics of my transport kit someplace long ago when someone was looking to fabricate their own. You can try a search on the subject I suppose. There are a couple threads titled Transport Kit. Several pics are there on the second page of threads.
    Last edited by efwd; 08-31-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Homemade conduit supports.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Added notes on transport...

Tie down the front at the gear, meaning the wheels/tires. Let the main gear provide shock absorption to the fuselage. Do not strap the front of the fuselage down.

At the rear, use the two 5/16 carry through tubes to anchor the rear with proper support... not on the tailwheel spring.

Ralph

Congrats on the engine start! Just catching up on your build... I take it there was no issues with the G3X going down while cranking?

No issues none at all. VPX does a good job keeping g3x alive. I put g3x and gea-24 to the master switch so I have engine instruments while cranking. Then the rest of the avionics on the avionics master. Its sweet how you can just change things around as needed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!