Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

If I told you what the secret switches are, they wouldn't be secret! HA! 2 big ones are 30 amp switch breakers. One for each of the alternators. 30amp edge one and the stock rotax one. If I lose my alternator, I can switch back to the stock Rotax one. The other is a trim disconnect switch and the last one is a switch for the cabing down wash LED light in case its to bright at night and I don't like it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Looking really nice Dustin. What prop are you using?
    79" NR three blade
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

She is alive! Engine start went well. I discovered a few more problems. One of them is kind of major. Couple things happened. First we had outdated instructions that showed the fuel filter before the pump. With that we also put fuel flow before the pump. Reading through the manual for the RED CUB fuel transducer, I missed that the fuel flow sensor MUST be after the pump. So you can guess what I did? Filter and fuel flow where before the pump. So this was kind of major to change but needed to be done. Stuff like this bugs me so I worked through the night and had it back running the next day. Had to take intercooler off and redo the fuel system. Had to move the pump and filter and flow meter. It was major, but got its done. Fuel flow now is reading accurate. The other problem was the AFR. Had to get help from the company to reflash the setup. Its not working correctly. I will post a link to the video of the first startup. Notice the smoke on startup from oil in the exhaust from changing out the turbo.
    Ran it in the evening so when it got dark I could test the lights. I ran it the next day with the flow meter moved, fuel flow and AFR are now reading correct. One of the pictures is showing engine gauges after 15min ground run at 2000rpm. Things are looking good. She is squawk free!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/PKCV9TR6SiNhfhvq5

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Nice going Dustin. That was fun right? Glad everything is worked out. Im kinda the same, discover a problem and then can't rest until its rectified.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yeah! This is defiantly the funnest part of the build. Eddie I used the gates fuel line you used and it still smells like fuel in my cockpit. I have quadruple checked everything and I have no leaks. If I stick the fuel hose to my nose it smells like fuel. Is this how it should be? I am guessing the other fuel line must be pretty bad then and maybe up close this still smells?
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 08-29-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Dustin, Gates manufactures a lot of different fuel line products, so just to be sure, did you use some version of Gates Barricade (low permeability) fuel hose? I used this in my plane and I do not have any fuel smell in my cockpit. I haven't stuck my nose right against the line, but maybe I'll try that.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks Brian!
    Its definitely not as bad but still has a fuel smell. I am just very sensitive to fuel smells right now worried that I have a leak. If I stick my nose on the gates lines it smells of fuel mixed with rubber. I used Gates 4219XL. I am thinking I may change them out. What line did you use?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I had this same scenario Dustin. I spoke with John M and I was informed that auto gas is far worse than 100LL. If you have the same lines I have, it will get better. Not sure if you are using 100LL for the initial run ups. I was using auto gas.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Gates 27003 Fuel Line/PCV/EEC Hose

This is the hose I used.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm using Gates 27313 (1/4"), and 27314 (5/16"), and 100LL. You can order 25' rolls on Amazon.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS