Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

In the process of working on a new spinner my condition inspection became due. I pulled the center console side panels off to inspect and was surprised to find as much pieces of junk in there. I thought I was thorough in building it keeping shavings vacuumed up but there was quite a few metal shavings. Took a vacuum and cleaned out the metal shavings and a lot of dirt. Compression was perfect, plugs looked good and exhaust welds looked good. When I put updated exhaust to the new version, the fitment wasn't great. The exhaust is for the Edge Gen II engines which are slightly different because of new turbo, so I needed to extent the exhaust slightly.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Finished the spinner and it turned out great. I was able to drill it and get it to track true. I took the spark plugs out, setup a ladder with a stick and a pencil. Then I rotated the prop and was able to position the spinner so the tip tracked true within about 1/16" movement. Carbon is definitely a pain to finish. When I was making the spinner I put a coat of resign in the mold before laying the pre-wet carbon. Still got some pin holes but not to many. I then re-coated the spinner with resign and rubber squeegee to press the resin into the holes. Then sanded and took some clear coat and dropped clear on the remaining holes. Then sanded, cleared, sanded and cleared. I took all the weights off my back-plate including balance master. I then re-balanced the spinner and got it down to .05ips. Then re-installed the balanced master and have gone on a few flights. Overall it does feel smoother having a spinner that's tracking true. I was flying an noticed what appears to be very old foundation. Decided to do some uphill landing practice and go check out the foundation.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!