Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 57 of 85 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Smile Re: Dual STI build log

Eric not at all!

VPX was never able to duplicate the error we where seeing (momentary power interruption on plug J1 pin 2). So they replaced the circuit board for J1 plug. Basically the circuit board that all the J1 pins are connected to. Sounds like they way VPX's are built is each plug has its own separate circuit board that drives the pins on that plug. I am assuming that is why they recommend separating critical components to different plugs.

Thanks Eddie!

Looks like maiden is happening next week!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Great pics Dustin. Can't wait to see some videos of both of them flying together.
    Starfox

N53TF is FLYING!

Maiden went well. We opted for a two man crew, so I went up with Cory on the maiden. Not sure I like riding right seat??? Took the laptop and got the tune pretty close on the first flight. AFR's where pretty good, but fuel trims between the cylinders where off. I adjust the trims and the tune and got it pretty close. Only slight tweaks after the maiden to adjust the boost and richen up the fuel map in one spot. We learned a couple of things in regards to the balance master. On Cory's we decided not to balance his prop and just run the balance master. Flying back to back I can tell a difference between mine and his. Below 2500rpms we had vibration that was noticeable between our airplanes. We discovered the spinner is what is causing the vibration. After removing the spinner and flying it both planes run the same on vibrations levels but it looks funny with no spinner. So we rented Pateys dynavibe and put his spinner back on to balance it. .7IPS with the spinner on. (No balance master) After 3 runs we had it down to .06ips and called it good. Balance master works great, but it was unable to smooth out the spinner wobble below 2500rpms. So with the prop and spinner on and balanced, we put the balance master back on, and its running very smooth now just how mine is.

Okay G3X users we also learned some valuable info. We where having a problem with calibrating the AOA. We learned that if you don't press clear, and only pressing calibrate, you are only trying to fine tune the number already in the AOA if there is one. Cory tried multiple times to calibrate the AOA and it was trying to fine tune a .09 so it kept failing. (we are not sure how that number got in there as stall AOA should be around .7 .8. in his plane) After learning that you need to hit clear, then calibrate we got the AOA indicating correctly.

Cory has now passed 10 hours and has ventured out away from the airport. I took my up and went flying to compare numbers. Fortunately/unfortunately his intake temps are 25-30f cooler than mine. (Cooler intake temps=more power, and farther away from Denotation) So, looks like I will be changing my Naca vent. I am going to cut in a new naca, and will have to sand and repaint the bottom cowl. Not looking forward to this but its significant enough to make it worth it. I am running two smaller nacas. Cory ran a single larger naca. I have the new naca on order and aerographics has already shipped out new decal that I will need.

Here is a couple pictures of some flying I did. Its been too hot for flying so I tried to find some cool air. Decided to try out my O2 bottle and went up to 17,500'. I climbed on autopilot, but hand flew it when I was up there and I can say the STI wing handles the altitude great. Before I take it up into the flight levels, I am going to hold off for the new oil pump from edge as you can see oil pressure was down low due to the low ambient pressure. Thomas is desigining a new oil pump to remidy this problem. Flew over one of my favorite spots, the sand dunes and at 17500 they looked small. Then needed a bathroom break so I circled down and landed out on some BLM land.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Big congrats!!! That’s one sophisticated Kitfox Dustin.👍 Amazing workmanship Sir. Enjoy.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Always with the valuable intel Dustin. Appreciate the AOA "clear" button heads up.
    Interesting perspective from 17.5k up. Nice pic.
    I'd say OAT of 24 deg. got you cooled off and then some! Enjoy!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    N53TF is FLYING!

... We learned a couple of things in regards to the balance master. On Cory's we decided not to balance his prop and just run the balance master. Flying back to back I can tell a difference between mine and his. Below 2500rpms we had vibration that was noticeable between our airplanes. We discovered the spinner is what is causing the vibration. After removing the spinner and flying it both planes run the same on vibrations levels but it looks funny with no spinner. So we rented Pateys dynavibe and put his spinner back on to balance it. .7IPS with the spinner on. (No balance master) After 3 runs we had it down to .06ips and called it good. Balance master works great, but it was unable to smooth out the spinner wobble below 2500rpms. So with the prop and spinner on and balanced, we put the balance master back on, and its running very smooth now just how mine is.
    Nice report, Dustin! You're aware of the testing I did with a Balance Master comparing dynamic balancing, so I'm still interested in other's experiences. When you say spinner "wobble", do you mean that you can visually see it wobbling, or are you just talking about some measured/felt vibration? .06 ips is good, and it's unlikely that a normal human could perceive a difference with anything lower than that. Did you measure the vibration level again after balancing to .06 ips and then re-installing the BM? When you say you had it down to .06 ips after 3 runs, what rpm was that at? What was the level below 2500 with, and with out the BM? What brand is your spinner?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Great info Dustin, thanks for sharing. You guys need to plan a trip up here after it cools off.

Steve thanks for the compliments!

bbs428.....yeah at 24f it felt so nice up high!

John the wobble in the spinner is a visible wobble at idle. We are both running NR spinners that came with the NR 79" 3 blade props. If you look at the tip of the spinner they are moving at least 1/2" around center. We did not measure the IPS after installing the balance master because I do not like doing ground runs at WOT or almost WOT. We have to strap the plane down and I am honestly amazed the dynamic balancer works as good as they do with the aircraft shaking as much as it does because of prop wash. Feels like something is going to let go! Not really but makes us nervous. We balanced it at 5200 rpms because we figured balancing it at cruise power where it will spend most of the time is probably best. Based on back to back flying here is the order of what we prefer in regards to the BM. I prefer the balance master and a balanced prop together the best. I know you got different results, but in the air that's what we are feeling is best. The balance master seems to make it smoother through varying rpms. Not a good way to validate this, but maybe in the air its smooths it more than on the ground because of the prop tracking or how the prop is loading and unloading?? Next I like a balanced prop with no balance master, but noticeably not as smooth on certain power settings. Then a balance master without balancing the prop, although below 2500-3000 there is noticeable shake/wobble we are feeling. So if you don't have access to a dynamic balancer, I would put a a balance master until you can get one and you will feel noticeable smoother operation. Then get your prop balanced for even smoother operations. At least this was our experience on both our aircraft.

Another note on the beacons or ELTS. Make sure you register your ELT! If you bought your airplane from someone, make sure you also register your ELT and update its contact info.
    https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/

We have also started oil analysis on both our aircraft from avlab. Cory had 7hrs on the engine when he sent in a sample. His aluminum reading was 22ppm. I sent mine in when I had 30 hours since oil change and 130 hrs total time on the engine. Avlab contacted me that they are concerned that I have 66ppm aluminum. All other readings are normal. This is my first sample and it was taken after I had flown. I pulled the sample from the oil can using the tube then send. My plan is to change the oil at 150 hrs and see what the trend is doing. I am thinking that its mostly do to the motor still breaking? My first and second oil changes I cut the filter and found aluminum partles in the filter. Edge Performance says this is normal for the first couple oil changes after a new engine build. I was surprised and concerned finding anything in the filter, but I was assured its normal. This is a picture of the second filter change. I thought after the first it would of cleaned out everything, but apparently not?

Interesting enough I cut the filter off our new boat with the raptor 440 engine in it. (aluminum block) At 100hrs and 200hrs the filter also had small aluminum particles that look similar. I would think after 200hr you would get all the particles out from manufacturing, but apparently not?

Any one else have experience running oil samples?

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Dustin - I just received the oil analysis report from my first oil change (25hr). For what it is worth my aluminum came in at 5, chrome 1, fe 22, cu 15, pb 1578, tin 0, moly 1, nickel 7, manganese 1, silver 2 potassium 4, boron 77, silicon 23, sodium 4, calcium 2628, magnesium 24, phosphorus 1764, zinc 1794, and barium 70. I'm running 100LL with decalin. Our engines are Rotax but that's were the similarity ends - 912uls on the front end here.

I too had plenty of aluminum specs in the oil filter media - more than I expected but about the same as what your picture shows. This Rotax experience is a first for me - anxious to see what the next one reveals.

Thanks! Here are my other numbers. I usually run 91, but I have ran a few tanks of Avgas.

Iron 24.5 Copper 9.1 Nickel 1.7 Chromium .6 Aluminum 66 Lead 521 Silicon 8.6 tin .1
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!