Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 85 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Dual STI build log

Its official! Kitfox called saying our STI's are ready to be picked up. We drive up this Monday to bring them back. I will post as we travel along this journey that is about to start! Actually.......it started awhile back in building a shop, in order to build an aircraft. I guess I need to back up even further, we needed to build a subdivision to build a house to build a shop.
    All my siblings now live by me in the subdivision we partnered on so they are now partnering in the kitfoxes.

Why two you ask? Where one is good, two is better right? Actually I was originally going to build a heli and my brother was going to build a kitfox. I decided a kitfox is a little more family friendly, because the heli was a single seater. So now I am building one and my brother is building one. We have now roped my younger brother to be partners also. He is not a pilot, but will be soon! Anyways, we are excited to get building. My goal is less than a year. Plans so far is its a STI, 29" tires, all the options. Oratex covering, edge performance 912turbo. Unsure on the prop for now, but will decide later!

Only pictures I have now is building of the house and shop. Last picture is the trailer we are hoping to have STI's in next monday! Plane pictures to come soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Dual STI build log

HI Dustin,

Great story! sounds like everything is coming together in life for you! Well done and looking forward to the twin Kitfox build stories to follow.

ross

ps. That set up is perfect for the Airmaster prop system!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Sweet! So, since you planned out so far ahead for the STIs, have you got plans for fellow Kitfoxer fly ins yet. Im nearing completion and looking for future trips.
    Eddie

Yeah let’s do it! You flying out of Fullerton airport? I lived in Yorba Linda years ago....

You could join us when we fly to Alaska.....

Do you run the air master?”

Corona will be the ultimate home base (last of the open security locals) but 1st flight will be Chino for safety reasons. Much larger runway and open fields abound.
    Ive been wondering how to make an Alaska trip possible. We will see.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Do you run the air master?
    Yes. love it. Expensive but gets the most out of the set up.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Sweet. I wish I could get some feedback on someone running it on a STI? Everyone keeps telling us that we don't want constant speed for a bush plane because of weight. Leaning towards a 80" catto. Also looking at the DUC props.

Awesome. That'll be great that you guys can work together and help each other out. That Edge Performance engine really will want a constant speed prop. Paul Leadebrand told me that if he could choose either the turbo or the CS prop on a 912iS, that the prop wins hands down. He felt he couldn't take full advantage of the turbo 914 with a fixed pitch prop. He and John both rave about what an amazing combo the 914 and airmaster make. I'm sure the same will be true for your EP engine. IIRC, it'll cost you like 12 lbs. Not insignificant, but also not the thing that will keep you from clearing the trees on takeoff.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Natalie and I just got back from Stick and Rudder. She was in the 912iS with the AirMaster the whole time and I was in the 914UL with the fixed Whirlwind. They were probably 50lbs lighter than us.

The 914 had a hose stop so that it generally only made 100HP with no over boost.

We out climbed them everytime and the plane showed its stripes once the DA started getting above 5000' but they were faster and could catch us everytime in cruise. The AirMaster with a turbo should be the best of both worlds.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3