Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 44 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Curious to see others results with the balance master. We received our second balance master and we put it on our 582 powered parachute. It runs very smooth now!

I have been on the road, but I am back in town now as I have the next 2 weeks off. Going to get the VG's installed this week and go flight test them.

N53TF wiring is complete. Just waiting on an Ipad and landing lights and its complete. Programming went smooth and very fast. Because we wired both planes identical programming went very fast, and brain damage on the second STI was minimal. What took me what seemed like a week to program everyting on 33TF took about and hour on 53TF. I learned that you can just export your config file, then import the config file to the other G3X. G3x will not recognize config file unless both G3X versions are the same. It will then copy everything except calibration settings. Makes it very quick to setup. All my limits that I have been programming got transferred over. Cory only really had one mess up that took out the canbus. He had the wiring for the shield incorrect and the ground on the GMU wrong. Garmin is very helpful and he got all the troubleshooting taken care of pretty fast. Plan is to try and make sure the wiring is good by just running avionics a bunch, hoping if anything is going to die, it will die sooner than later. Getting ready for the first engine start and then its getting close. Windshield and doors are done. Turtle deck needs to be finished and flapperons need to be installed. Oh... and Cory needs his tail endorsement.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Sorry I thought I had figured out how to embedded a google photo. I will try again.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 01-13-2020 at 06:35 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That is a very nice looking wiring job. Can you reach the water that goes to the heater shut off valve from inside the cockpit ?

Yes. So you can shut it off when it’s warm outside.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thought I would post a solution for the tall pilots. I did not want the top of my headset scratching my window. I used some extra Hydro turf from my standup jetskies glued to the top with CA. Its like duct tape, many uses. Its soft enough it wont scratch and weighs almost nothing

Last edited by Shadowrider; 01-15-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

VG's are on! It was a little tedious to prep them and paint them. Once you start installing them its not bad and it goes fast. Half tanks of fuel before vgs, I am stalling 47mph power off and 42mph power on full flaps at 8500MSL. WX looks good tomorrow so I am hoping to see how much they help. Hoping for 5mph!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

It ended up to be bad weather for a few days before I could get out and test the VGs. I went out yesterday quick before the next storm was due in. All I can say is WOW! The STI wing loves VGs. Stall speed was reduced almost 8-10mph. 10mph power off and 8mph with some power on. I was stalling at 34mph at 6000' Temp was 40F. Aircraft weight was 1124lbs. I put VGs on the horizontal stab and the along with the wing. Spacing between was done at the recommended spacing. On the STI wing I am 46" from the trailing edge to the front of the VGs. That works out to about 1.25" aft cord from leading edge or 2" from the leading edge on the top camber. It worked out well because that is also where the seam of the oratax overlaps. I was told that you really cant place them to close. I didn't want to go to much closer because it would be a bigger pain to clean the bugs off that we get so bad in the summer. Oh,.....and like others top speed is not reduced which is crazy to me. When you walk up and look at them it seems like a lot of parasite drag being created. Its hard to believe they work as good as they do.

With VGs I have alot more elevator control and does not run out of elevator like before. With power it will just settle in and you can really get a good AOA going. With VGs it does break harder but you are much slower. I am comfortable lowering my approach speed 5mph and with some more practice and some power 10mph I think is doable. Here is a screen shot of my Datalog showing when the stall breaks. If my math is correct that should be about 25' shorter landing distance reducing aproach speed by 5mph (speeds are in knots)

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That's promising. What was your empty weight again? Just curious for my STi build.

Empty weight, ready to fly #879
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    It ended up to be bad weather for a few days before I could get out and test the VGs. I went out yesterday quick before the next storm was due in. All I can say is WOW! The STI wing loves VGs. Stall speed was reduced almost 8-10mph. 10mph power off and 8mph with some power on. I was stalling at 34mph at 6000' Temp was 40F. Aircraft weight was 1124lbs. I put VGs on the horizontal stab and the along with the wing. Spacing between was done at the recommended spacing.

I have to say I was doubtful of you getting the 5mph you were hoping for but 8 to 10 is really surprising. I've never been around vgs but I would say they are a necessity on a STI wing for sure with your results. Thanks for posting all the info you have. It will be very helpful.