Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Very nice, keep the good times coming!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

The kiddos have been off for fall break and wanted to go flying. Went to the airport to fuel the plane and pre-flight it. I found my exhaust bracket broken. I have about 60 hours since I changed the exhaust routing out the back of the cowl. Fortunately I recently purchased a tig welder so I took it home to weld it up. I have been practicing welding Aluminum with the hopes of building a better intercooler. (After I learn how to draw it up in solidworks) I have not practiced stainless that much, so I cut some stainless bar and practicing welding for about an hour. After I felt like I could weld it up I decided to give it a try! Not my best work but better than my worst.

I decided to add a reinforcement piece to help with possible side loads. When I reinstalled it, based on where it was before, I realized I had it under some tension by tightening it to tight against the stop.

This TIG welding is harder than it looks. I have almost gone through a tank of argon, and this is my best aluminum weld so far. Fun stuff learning a new skill though.

Next day, thanks to have the welder handy, we went out flying for a couple hours. Rusty, my son wanted to take guns and go shooting and flying. Giddy UP!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

New high flow oil pump going in from Edge Performance. Thanks Thomas for always innovating. If testing goes well, I am going to work on a plan to take the STI up into the flight levels. Also, the other good news is I think the stock pump is where the aluminum was coming from in my oil analysis. Changed the oil and filter. After I get a few hours I will be sending off oil to see if the aluminum count is down.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Working on getting the new oil pumps installed, we discovered that our oil to water heat ex-changer is greatly reducing flow. In fact with the new oil pump, the oil pressure was actually worse because I think the pump was having cavitation issues. We have the heat ex-changer on the suction side. Thomas was worried if we put it on the pressure side we would build up to much crank pressure and then we would run into oil consumption issues. We bypassed the heat ex-changer and oil pressure went up significantly. We are now working on removing the heat ex-changers. Right now I completely have the oil cooler covered and struggle to get to 180F so I think we have excess cooling to work with. We will be doing more testing and post the results, but looks like the heat ex-changers greatly reduce oil pressure.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Interesting, what kind of oil pressure where you seing before and after the removing the heat exchanger? You could try a oil thermostat, they work . I have one you can try, let me know.

Oil pressure was 40-50. Thomas wants to see 60-70. Mostly for when you go high the oil pressure has plenty of pressure. We saw a 15psi jump in oil pressure when the heat exchanger was bypassed.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

We tried to go to Mineral Canyon, located in Southern Utah, but the clouds got in the way. Southwestern Utah look good so we went to IBEX lakebed instead. 2 STI's and a friends 172XP. We encountered some clouds so we climbed up above the clouds. Dont worry left side was cloudy and right side of aircraft was clear. He is much faster so he went ahead and radioed back saying there was snow on the "dry" lake bed. He said "I will wait for you big tire guys to check it out and let me know if I am good to land." Had fun for a couple hours and then headed back home! Turns out when the sun comes out and melts the snow, the dry lake bet is not dry anymore. Top layer got muddy, so I went to the shore of the lakebed. 30 min later and all the mud dried out.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-29-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Beautiful photos Dustin. Post card quality. Fun day.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Those really are beautiful! Just great!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Excellent! How beautiful. Thanks for posting Dustin!

Clark