Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 36 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Happy for you Dustin. Fly safe but maybe hold off on those really steep climb outs until a couple flight hours accrue. First flight or two you just want to try to get back to the airport and land with the same number of airplane parts you took off with. And also. Don’t melt the engine.😀 Have fun.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks guys! It was fun, and scary! Honestly I was not but intending to climb that steep. It just leaped off when I rolled the power in and that was me holding it back🙂 I just wanted lots of altitude quickly. Vibration in the stick was bad enough it had me concerned. Below 5000 rpms it was acceptable. Took it up to 9500msl did some slight turns, three stalls and came back and landed. Power off flaps up she stalled at 47 indicated at 9500msl. I am not running VGs or the stall fence so that number should improve. Right now she is grounded. Edge is more than likely putting out a SB on the mufflers. They went to a 2” exhaust which flows more and makes more power but is stressing the end cap on the mufflers. I am going to gusset mine until the new one shows up. Headed to the dunes this weekend, so hopefully back going next week. I threw a GoPro up for the maiden that I will have to put up.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I wondered if that's what happened. I too came off the ground and it went for the sky. I had to push the nose down to avoid the severe angle. It can do the angle (the plane) but I wasn't comfortable at that moment. I think I let it climb for the same reason. Altitude is your friend. However, now I have seen the video Steve put up and I will be doing some practicing on that light in the seat method.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Congratulations. Keep to the test profile. Every flight planned for specific tasks. Good luck, enjoy the process and you will enjoy the Kitfox.

Ralph

What a fun day! Kids where as excited as I was. They came down early before school! Grateful to my wife and kids for being so supportive in this journey! I edited it down because I have a short attention span! Just realized I put the wrong date at the start of the video. Oh well you get the idea. Enjoy

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Got to say, after watching the video I wish I was 3” shorter or the kitfox was 3” bigger🙂
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

When I watch my video, I wish I were 3" taller or the cabin slightly smaller.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Congratulations. I've been looking forward to seeing your first flight.

Thanks guys!

Okay here is the down and dirty. CHTs and oil temps are looking good. In fact I think I may have too much cooling..............maybe? I guess that is better than not enough. On the first flight oil temps only reached 130F and CHTs only reached 175f. So far she is running cool. Of course OAT was 60f. Intake temps where 120f with a max manifold pressure of 49" momentarily. I then pulled the power back to 40" for the climb out. I am going to adjust boost in the ECU. Egts had a split of 75F split between #1 cylinder and #4 cylinder. Not a real big deal but nice thing with this ECU is you can add or subtract fuel trim to get them closer. I am going to add some fuel to cylinder #4, which from what I understand is normal to run hotter in the rotax. Bad news is I found a crack in my muffler where the down pipe bracket is mounted. I have been concerned from day one that the stainless is going to fatigue and crack because its a little thin walled. I contacted Edge and they are in the process of a re-design to address the issue. They will be sending out new mufflers because when they went from 1.5' downpipe to the 2" downpipe fatigue cracks have been showing up. In the meantime I have got it welded up and added some gussets to keep it from cracking again. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the repaired muffler back on and finish balancing my prop. If everything goes well I am hoping to take it back up. When I stalled it first flight I did it with no flaps and power to idle. It buffeted at 47IAS.(MPH) I am going to start adding flaps and checking flight controls with flaps. I still have lots to do on the build. Stall fences still need to be built. Wing cuffs need to be built, its windy without them. Install VGs at some point also. Then we need to get #2 finished up now that I am pretty sure our cooling is going to be sufficient.

Gussets are only welded on one side to help keep from heat warping pipe and that is anti seize on the inside to help slide in the down pipe.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

It's impressive that you're running so cool with that firebreather up front. Do you have an oil thermostat? IIRC, you installed a coolant/oil heat exchanger. The oil thermostat might bring up both your oil and CHT. I bought one from a race supply with a higher setpoint than the one sold most often for Rotax (205 F), and have had great luck with it. Oil temps are almost always in the 190-210 F range. I guess you could also consider taking out the heat exchanger. Right now the indication is that it's doing its job too well.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS