Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I suspected they would be heavier. Anyone know for sure?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

They are lighter than round tube with fairings but I don’t have specific numbers. Brandon also informed me that A LOT of extra labour goes into the fitting and welding of these
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Wow - those lift struts really are the bomb! I did the same for special tools. Appreciate the pic's!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Good news we have the engines! Avionics also showed up. Got to be honest, little overwhelmed by trying to figure all this stuff out. Having a little buyers remorse.....wishing we would of bought a quick panel. Also thinking the goal of flying this summer may be a little optimistic. I know that we just need to break it down into a bunch of small steps. Right now I am almost finished mounting avionics/ecu/vertical power. Still waiting on our battery from kitfox so I can get the battery mount built and finish mounting firewall stuff. I finished up the never-ending sanding on the lift struts and called uncle, dropped them off to a painter to finish. Also took our flaperons to the painter to get those painted. Almost finished cutting out the panel and getting it ready for powder coating. Its about time to order a bunch of wire and get going on starting to make the harnesses.

Edge is top notch quality for sure. Everything is build quality and impressive welds and machining. Excited to see what these little engines can do!
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-07-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

This is fantastic! Stoked to see your installation progress as we prep for ours.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

Wow that looks like a sweet engine! Looking forward to the details on what it takes to set it up on a Kitfox.

I think you said you were going with a Garmin setup. Does the power plan need a separate ECU like the 915? Or do you control it all through the Garmin?

It started life as a 912ULS, then its built into a fuel injected turbocharged motor. It runs its own ECU with the map built and tuned from Edge. When you add fuel injection you need an ECU to control fuel and boost. It spend an hour on the engine stand being tuned by Thomas. We are running the GEA 24, which will do engine monitoring to the Garmin G3x.

We went with the 914 firewall forward kit and kitfox just removed the stuff they knew we would not need or use.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So Dustin, does the already hi compression of the 912uls plus the turbo boost not overstress the engine? Or does Edge change to the 912ul lower compression pistons like in the 914?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Different pistons than 912 and 914. They are forged and coated and have oil squirters. Lower compression heads. Crank has also been welded to handle the boost.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

This week spent a lot of time looking and figuring........ Have been reading through Garmin install manual, and Vertical Power configuration. VX online programmer is very user friendly so far. You can go through spec out what you have and it builds a wiring diagram and pinout for you. You can assign switches and what circuits are activated by what switch. I think we will be able to figure this stuff out....fingers crossed! I am finished with cutting out the panel and just need to figure out throttle cables so I can get the last hole drilled. From there I think the panel is ready for powder coating. I decided to counter sink the rivets and filled in holes with all metal. I called the powered coating company and he recommended using ALL METAL to fill rivets. Its a pain to work with and I recommend getting the thinner to get it to lay down smooth. Was going to go with a on-off-on rocker switch for the fuel pumps that matched the other switches, but decided I wanted something different and a little better quality of a switch. Decided on a ON-OFF-ON locking switch to prevent inadvertently shutting off fuel pump. Hoping on Monday all the fuel fittings how up to get the fuel filter, fuel flow sensors, and fuel pressure regulator mounting. Then we will hang the engine and start trying to figure out an intercooler. Fills like things are going slow now that we don't really have instructions to follow so we are just trying to take it a step at a time. Thomas had wired up the engine and has all the routing of wires nicely done. Did not want to take the wireharness and route it through the firewall so we came up with a way to get the harness through the firewall. I feel it should seal up fine.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!