Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I had that same thought. If I built another plane, I might go for the airfoiled struts, mostly because I think they'd be a lot more durable for ground handling. Saving many hours of sanding would be bonus.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looking back the chromoly air-foiled struts where looking very good about half way through sanding the plastic ones.

I really really have a hard time with Kitfox prices on that. A set of standard struts are $700. The aerodynamic 4130 struts are $3500 for a set. Looking on ACS I can get that aerofoil tubing for $20 a foot. 36 feet of that tubing for two struts is $720 extra. There looks to be the same amount of welding but lets say it's 4 more hours of labour at a high shop price of $100 per hour. That's still only $1120 more. So shouldn't those struts cost closer to $1800 than $3500? The math isn't adding up...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Funny I did the same thing but I ended up buying them. I justified them by factoring in my time for prep of the fairings and the cost of painting them. I also didn’t want to continually tell my kids and friends not to push on them all the time. I can tell you that I am very happy with the quality and finish.

Dustin, beautiful work! Your thread gives this hack something to aspire to ;-)

Do you have a sheet metal break? How is everyone making these custom mounting plates? Shopping it out? I have an anvil and a hammer HA but they won't be pretty!

I think I may have saw your engine being testing on instagram! They take the 912is and turbo it? What does that run you? shortens TBO?

Yes I have a sheet metal break, if you can call it that. I am not a fan of harbor freight, but sometimes I need a few more disposable tools.

This one works to do this small stuff.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inc...ake-67240.html

.060 aluminum sheet metal

Edge performance takes the 912ULS, weld the crank, upgrade the pistons, install oil squirters, new heads, fuel injects it, and then turbo it. We also put the additional alternator on it mostly because the fuel pumps draw a lot. TBO......yet to be determined 33k
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

OO nice! I love a disposable break!

Id be interested down the road to see if they would turbo a 912is!

Any local sheet metal (HVAC) shop will bend your pieces on their brake for pretty cheap if you have them all cut out and bending lines drawn on.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was asked what I did to grind down vise some grips? I tried to grind them so when squeezing the rivet they are level. I did a few test to try it out. I know a bunch other have also done this. Fill free to post a picture if you like. Also this is the handy tool you can get from spruce to countersink the holes. I got two different sizes.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Those are really nice, thanks for taking pictures. I think they are a very nice upgrade...cleans up the look alot, and I bet the total weight is less than a combo of Round Tube\Fairings\Bonding\Superfill\Paint plus all the Labor on top of that.