Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 85 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

More cowling work this last week. Installed a lip right before the radiators to ramp airflow up into the radiators versus around the bottom. I took compressed air and tried to simulate airflow and found most air was flowing underneath the radiators. Also worked on baffling around the radiators to keep airflow going into radiators. Also worked on getting exhaust cut and cowling trimmed. Need to weld in bunge for the A/F ratio sensor. Stinger needs to be loose to install the cowl and pivot in-order to get ducting up and over the radiators. Access to the t-clamp should not be a problem, as I will need to loosen the t-clamp so stinger can pivot when removing bottom cowl. I think if I opened up the exhaust hole more I may be able to remove bottom cowl without loosening the stinger, but for now I think I am going to keep it as is. Still thinking on temps and keeping things cool, so after seeing others results by adding the bottom lip, I decided to drop my lip down. Added 1.5" to the bottom lip and I left it long. This should increase lower pressure and it also improved volume of "exit" air. Also reinforced the bottom lip to keep it from moving under higher speeds. Powered coating of the panel turned out good. I used lab metal to fill in rivet holes and after powder coating so you cannot see them. Never got a picture before I dropped the panel off to screen printing company that a local avionics shop uses. They are 1.5 weeks out so I think I am back to cowling work. I have lost track but I think I am literally over 50 times of removing and installing cowling This week hope to finish camlocks now that I am done needing to check and recheck cowling.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Nice Dustin. Your modifications look well done. I too have to loosen my stinger.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie! Glad you are out flying and enjoying your bird! I keep telling myself its worth it......20 times every morning.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Cowlings....cowlings.....cowlings. More work on the cowlings this week. I got called out to work and I thought I would be traveling for most of the week. The schedule changed so it was day trips for most of the week. The wife decided to take the kids to Logan to visit her sister so I was able to log some more time! I got the panel back from the screen printer and it turned out good. I am realizing building a plane is like building a house. There are lots of imperfections that you just have to accept and move on. Trying not to look back but look forward. My fingers are raw from installing the cam-locks. Wow those take a lot of time. I can't believe how much work the cowlings have been along with the camlocs, glad I got them all knocked out this week. My work schedule this coming week looks like I have a few good days for building this week that I am hoping to finish plumbing the engine and then I think I have finally reached the daunting job of wiring. I installed the panel and throttle cable installed. I am please to report that the throttle cable works great. Thanks Doug and Scott for help on this! The only thing is I had to use two graduated sleeves from the rotax 912 throttle cable attachment. In so doing the bolt is not long enough into the nylon nut. I have ordered an all metal lock nut and a low profile lock nut to try. Other than some more finish sanding and painting the cowls, which I am not going to do until we fly, they are finished!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    #NACAFox
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Gosh darn that is sooooo cool! You are going to need a step ladder to get into her, and then a mirror on the skylight to see what to do next!!!! I only have 26" tires for mine and expect that she would rather have the 29" as shown, when said and done! Thanks for sharing the passion of the hobby.

Engine is plumbed minus the intakes because I am waiting on the new inward facing injectors from edge. I have been promised them "soon". The oil to water heat ex-changer fits nicely and I am hopeful it helps in keeping oil temps down.
    My reading to work ratio has seemed to get out of control. Feels like a 10:1 right now and my head hurts from mentally trying to wrap my mind around wiring. With that being said I feel like I have made some good progress, at least feeling like I have a clear path now. Almost finished wiring up engine side, with all sensors and indicators going to GEA-24. Going to next start working on vertical power and figuring that out. A couple things I learned. If you are using a UMA temp sensor it needs to have a R for it to work with Garmin. Also trying to figure out how to hook up oil pressure I learned that the new rotax oil pressure sensors operate via voltage variation and now require a resistor in line. I called Stein Air looking for a resistor, and because wiring them are a pain, they decide to build a small pcb with the resistors for the oil pressure and for the RPM built into the board. They where 20$ for 2 shipped. Also installed grips and PTT switch on the control sticks. Thanks Nikk for these. I think a few where wondering on the PTT switch and where to get them. You can get them off amazon. Here is the links for everything. Regular bike grips are too long, so you need to get shorter ones FYI.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5RP7P8OE&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RETUGUKO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4UCZPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3SNLLVFZ6ABAC&psc=1\\

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So I have decided to start building early in the morning before the kiddos get up and have me going other directions. Pretty quiet and lots cooler. I have been dreading the wiring, but now that I feel like I understand it somewhat, its not nearly as bad as I thought. Of course I will probably be singing another tune when I am trying to trouble shoot issues. Not sure if the pile of wire is an indication of how much I have accomplished, or how much wire I waste. I received new intakes with the inward facing injectors, so I switched those out. Need to run the final length of fuel line. Firewall forward is completely wired. Fuel pumps are wired. Ecu wired. Heater is done. Bose 6 pin headset plugs are wired. USB ports are done. Radio and PTT is wired.

I need to finish transponder, and GPS-20, Trim, autopilot servos, ELT, can bus. Its crazy how much wire are in these little planes. A lot more than I would have ever guessed.

Not sure what others are doing, but this is what i came up with. Hysoled a piece of aluminum tubing and then put some fuel hose over it to keep things from rubbing the center column.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Your wiring looks great so far. Very clean. I like your ground bar. The one I bought was more compact, and it doesn't look as clean.

I built the majority of my plane between 4:00AM and 6:00AM in the morning. Everyone else is still asleep, so I didn't feel like I was stealing time from my family.

My wife however, is quick to point out that I was asleep by 8 every night, so I guess you pay the piper some time.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

That pile on the floor looks kinda like what is in my plane. JK Your wiring is looking very nice Dustin. Definitely cleaner looking than mine.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X