Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Thanks Dan! Yes the air-foiled struts for sure. I thought we got every option, to later find out kitfox has a hidden menu. The struts took soo much time to finish. Oratex was a huge time saver and weight saver. Was a little "alot" frustrated with it when it started to stain. Fortunately I was able to match some single stage polyurethane paint and paint where the exhaust was staining it. Corys is ready to go minus the out of balance spinner. Trying to decide what to do. It runs very smooth but now he put the spinner on it has some bad vibrations and this is with a balance mast on. May fly it without the spinner? We love the NR props but the spinnners, not so much.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

My initial thought is to layup (tape, to test?) some thin strips of fiberglass on the inside of the spinner until you get it into balance, but a quick google search came up with this discussion on the Vans forums that looks pertinent: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=156016

If there’s a spinner backplate, it might be warped. Also, the screw holes might not be lined up. Both of which could put the spinner into a “wobble.”

I’m sure you guys will figure it out. 👍🏻

Thanks for the link yocum137. Interesting reading through it. We are thinking maiden flight will be without a spinner until we come up with a solution. First we may just try rotating the spinner and see if we get different results.

On a different topic I know that there has been some discussion on what ELT to get. I will have to say I could NOT recommend the ACK elt. Both ELTs in our planes our ACK ELTS and where installed exactly the same. I decided to do a self test via the remote button and nothing happened. (Worked when installed) Tested the other one on my brothers plane and his does not work either. (Also worked when installed) I unplugged the remote (the phone cord) and plugged it back in and now the remote button is working. Corys still does not work. Honestly my issues with these elts are the buttons and remotes are not the best quality and the buttons feel very cheaply made. Now to try and trouble shoot it and figure out what is up with them. When sending power to the ELT, it does do its self test and beeps once along with the light flashing, so I think the batteries are good, just pressing the reset/test button does not do anything.

Onto a different topic of something I just learned talking with Garmin. We have the G3x and we have the GTX45R transponder. The adsb weather has always worked but I have never received Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast. When doing ground runs with Corys plane we where checking the WX and noticed it downloaded all these options. Both of our planes are wired identical. In fact I just copied the config file from my G3x and transferred it to his and everything was setup and working. (This saved me hours) I always thought Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast was additional services that where not available currently. In trouble shooting I noticed that my Ipad is getting Turbulence forecast. The Ipad is bluetooth to the GTX45R so the transponder is receiving the info. After consulting with Garmin they where baffled why this was happening.

Well after digging deep in the manual we found the solution. Deep in the manual is a small paragraph stating the Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast is only available on the G3X via Bluetooth. RS232 cannot transmit this Data to the G3x. Because I had connected my phone via bluetooth to the G3x it kicked off the transponder. G3x can only have 2 bluetooth connections going at once. G3x was connected via bluetooth to the IPAD and Transponder but when I connected my phone it kicked off my transponder. The weather data I was receiving was coming to the transponder via rs232 but was not getting Lightning/Cloud Tops/Icing Forecast/Turbulence Forecast because you can only get that data via bluetooth to G3x. So I just had to forget my phone ong G3x and now its receiving all WX data.

On a final note I purchased an O2 system. Flight levels.....here I come!

Hoping to Maiden Corys this week. On the ground runs he is seeing hotter CHT'S than mine and we are working on a solution. We have a couple theories, and if we get this figured out we are shooting for WED. FYI he got his tailwheel Saturday in my plane!

Here is how mine has always looked since day 1.

Here is what is looks like now. The Sigment had not downloaded yet but should.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Great info Dustin. I enjoy all your posts as they are chock full of pertanant data. Oh - and your plane is over the top cool. Lol. Safe flying!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks Brett. I really have used this forum a ton and it’s a good way to keep track of stuff.

Well maiden is off, or postponed. We did a high speed taxi test to check controls and tracking. As soon as we hit 40mph adahars failed. Troubleshot it and anything over 40mph and it failed. We used the poor mans pitot static test. Air compressor spraying air at the pitot while one person watches airspeed. I started at 10’ and slowly walked closer. Airspeed would start indicating anything over 40mph and reboot. Hopefully garmin can get a new one to us quickly.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Cool Re: Dual STI build log

You glass pilots! All that fancy gear and you get grounded by a malfunctioning ASI! You know, back in the old days, pilots flew by the seat of their pants and they used Johnson Airspeed Indicators: http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=28288 Guaranteed not to reboot!

I *am* giving you a hard time, but plenty of flights have taken place with the old Vane Type ASIs.

Hope Garmin gets you a replacement unit ASAP.

Cheers!
    Dan

Yeah back in the day pilots didn’t live as long either! Glass is where it’s at. Lighter, better, and safer. I know your giving us a hard time.....right back at you.🙂

Garmin should have us something shortly.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I can say I read this whole thread between last night and today. Amazing and great looking planes. If you’re ever looking for a navigator 😂 I’m in Heber and would love to ride along

Thanks Jay!

Garmin sent us a new GSU-25 and the adahars is still failing exactly like before. After about 3 seconds of reading airspeed it reboots. Canbus connection stays connected but the GSU-25 reboots. We checked everything I could think of. Shut everything off except for the G3x and GSU-25. Still fails after 3 seconds of reading airspeed. Unhooked Static source and AOA and still fails. One thing we did discover is the data (adahrs info) that is being bluetoothed to the IPAD is in correct. G3x shows 15 degrees nose up on the ground, which is correct. The Ipad is showing 10 degrees nose down. The interesting thing is the ipad is getting its attitude information from the G3X. After checking everything, the only two possible solutions are the GSU-25 they sent us is bad. We are going to call garmin and see if this is a new unit, or if its like certifed aircraft, this was sent back as a bad part from someone else and they bench checked it with "no fault found" and sent it to us. Or, the only other thing would be the G3X is bad. Going to consult Garmin but I am now thinking the G3x is bad?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

For those of you following along and wanting a list of things to do different, here is one for you! I would highly recommend getting banjo fittings for the fuel. They are expensive, 100$, but will could save you down the road. I detected a small leak develop coming out of the right fuel tank. I had pressure tested my tanks for days with no leaks before installing. This is after a couple months of no leaks. I detected a slight yellowing of my fabric. So I talked to Brandon and he suggested banjo fittings. Kitfox sells the kit. Just get them when you order. Decided to try and operate. Well operation went well and I have leak checked them and I am good now. This was the tank that I remember not being able to get the fitting as tight as I wanted but worried that if I tried to go another 180 I would crack the tank. The nice thing about the banjo fitting is you are not limited by where the 90 ends up. So I had to carefully cut the 90 off to spin out the brass fitting. Then I had to open up the rib slightly to fit the head of the banjo fitting. All this while making sure you don't get debris in the tank.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!