Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 52 of 85 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Here is some photos of my recent flying adventures.

This is a photo from going down and visiting a friend who was camped out with his family. Brought him some hot home made brownies for his wives birthday. Found a road to land on close to his camper.

On our way to Mexican mountain I had to stop and show Cedar Mountain to my son. His favorite part was the takeoff and dropping off the 1500' on the South end.

Mexican Mountain was awesome!

After visiting Mexican mountain, we went west to land in the desert. Found a cattle road that was not a bad landing spot. I think up there with airplane camping, finding places to land is pretty dang fun!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Too cool. What amazing scenery.

Been following this thread closely. I appreciate the work that you’ve put in to both builds. I live in southern Utah. Would love to find a time to eyeball both you and your brothers Kitfox’s if possible. I’m getting ready to begin my own adventure with Kitfox.

Anytime! We are at KPVU.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

DAR was able to sign-off N53TF via pictures. Time to move it to airport and start flying!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That is great news! We can't wait to hear about your first flight.

Did you end up rerouting the brake lines?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

No we where able to keep them the same routing, the DAR was okay If they passed through a grommet and not have them rigid mount to the frame.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

See, No FAA guy standing there over his shoulder. LOL
    Great news Dustin. On to the first flight!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Dustin,

I just spent the last 3 days reading your whole thread. You’ve heard it all before, but let me pile on a bit, too: Fantastic job, beautiful plane(s)!

Now that you’re “done” and have had a little time to reflect, what would you do different? What would you do the same?

It seemed like you guys did a ton of work on the electrical system. Now that Kitfox has a 4 pre-wired panel options, would you skip doing it yourself and buy one off the shelf?

Likewise, the cowl work you did to accommodate the EP912sti seemed to be never ending and in the end you aren’t getting high enough temps without taping off the oil cooler. Would you put in smaller NACAs? Not raise the inlet as much, or at all?

Oh, and did you ever add up all your hours?

I hope I can do as nice of work as you’ve done! 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks,
    Dan

Hey Dan thanks for the compliments! Looking back there is not a lot that I would change.

The pre-wired options kitfox is providing is great option for those that don't want to tackle the wiring. Nikk is involved in building them, so seeing his work first hand I know they will be top quality. Not sure if its and option, but we love the vertical power and having an Ipad also. My kids like watching movies as we head out to landing spots, because you are not setting any ground speed records! In fact Friday I was watching cars on the freeway pass me!

Not much I would change doing it over again. One thing I would probably not do was the rheostat for the cabin heater. I think I would just put a switch. Seems like when its cold the heat is on High and when its not cold its off. Maybe wire it like kitfox does with a two position switch. Low is one fan, high is two fans. I would defiantly switch the fans out to higher CFM fans.

On 53TF we ran he exhaust straight out. I went back and changed 33TF to straight out also. It looks better, keeps the exhaust of the gear leg, and I think gives you a little speed. Speed is probably wishful thinking though. Also keeps the Oratex from staining.

As far as cooling I would still leave the bottom lip on and drop the cowl. This provides more exit air so you don't over pressurize the cowl. Also gives you the room to run straight out exhaust. I ran two NACAs for the intercooler and Cory ran one large naca. We have not flown his yet but on the ground runs his intake temps are staying very cool. I think his intake temps are going to be cooler than mine. They will need to be significant for me to go back and change it. His right now are under 100F at 44" map on the ground runs so things are looking good. Update on 53TF is that we have done all the initial tuning and ground runs. Wastegate table is all set and prop pitch is set. We pitched for 5400 RPMS and 44" MAP static. At 60IAS should be around 5600 and 46map. Possible flight testing starting next week. Once in the air, now with the new reg allowing a passenger(crew member) on flight test, I am going to go up and help tune. Nice thing with the Edge ecu as you can dial the egts withing 15F of each other. I am also not a fan of trying to get peak efficiency, so I don't mind burning a little extra fuel to keep the egts down to a more comfortable level.

The edge912STI is a great engine. Amazing power to weight ratio. I can takeoff in about half the distance I can land at. I am getting better at landing, but takeoffs will always be shorter. So, no regrets there. Some ask if I would have gone the EPEX300hp if it was out when we ordered our engine. That would be crazy to have double the HP I have. Not sure I would want to be the first one figuring it out (on a Kitfox) so I would have to say I would still choose the EP912STI.

Brandon from kitfox is saying he wants to do STI photoshoot! Hopefully this happens and we get some cool photos with 3 STIs! Brandon and Heather have been awesome to work with and very helpful on the builds!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Dustin,

Thanks for the thoughtful and complete feedback. I should have qualified my questions by asking “what you do different... to make the build portion go faster?” I think the pre-built wire harness would save weeks, as will using aerodynamic struts instead of the tube with the clip-on streamlining.

Fiberglass work... ugh. That’s something that concerns me. Granted, I’ve watched a friend build a cowl from scratch for his Bücker Jungmann over the last 10-15 years, so I really shouldn’t judge fiberglass construction on his speed (or lack thereof). He also has something like 8-10 aircraft in various stages of disassembly, so I REALLY shouldn’t look to him as an example of how to get stuff done. We bought him a hat that says ‘TFR.’ He wasn’t amused. 😂

But, I digress.

The other time saver is the Oratex. The last time I thought about building a plane Stewart System was the new kid on the block (yes, about 10 years ago). Seeing how quickly you all covered your planes just astounds me! And the attention to detail you put into it... just stunning!

Anyway, thanks again., and good luck flying off the hours on your brothers plane!

Dan