Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Fantastic Dustin. Can't wait to start these adventures. Keep giving us the incentives.
    Starfox

I went up high, on o2, to try and catch a tail wind. Yes that is a trim indicator that you see. Set it up with a green area for takeoff trim. I wish the hangar was mine, but it’s my bosses who is nice enough to let us keep our kitfox’s s in his hangar.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Regarding the Balance Master, it was reasonably enough priced, so I jumped in and got one too. I want to do some testing with it before commenting too much, and haven't been able to fly with it yet. I've got my own dynamic balance rig (ACES), and my assembly is balanced to 0.05 ips or less. One thing bothers me is the statement by Balance Masters that the assembly shouldn't be pre-balanced, as that can interfere with the operation of the Balance Master (which I'll call a BM ). Common sense tells me that's ridiculous... the BM has no way of telling that there is a weight installed to balance the assembly, or if the assembly is just well balanced all by itself. The BM is reacting to movement of the entire spinning mass that it is installed on. Of course if the assembly is well out of balance before installing a BM, the initial perceived improvement will be more evident and greater than if it was if well balanced to begin with. I'm not saying it is, but this could be a marketing strategy. Next, if you carefully watch the video test on BM's website, with a Rotax and a DynaVibe, you'll see that the balance with the BM is definitely improved with the BM (I'm assuming the assembly had not been dynamically balanced), but is not particularly good compared to a good dynamic balance job at other than high RPM, and it sometimes varies considerably going up & down through various RPMs. So, I'm interested to see what happens.

Hey John,

Not sure if I missed it or not, did you ever post results of your tests on the Balance Master?

Thanks,
    Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Clark in AZ View Post
    Hey John,

Not sure if I missed it or not, did you ever post results of your tests on the Balance Master?

Thanks,
    Clark
    Yes, I did Clark… search for & check out the thread entitled “Balance Master”.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Summer heat is here in Utah and it has been miserably hot. The older I get the less I like the heat. Lately the fun flying is, starting before sun-up, which is my new favorite, and watching the sun rise in the air. Found a couple new places to land. I love finding new places to land, getting out and enjoying the peace and quiet. A couple quick photos for you!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Very Nice! The plane looks great!

Clark

Did you take your mid wing stall fences off or did you never put them on. For some reason I thought they were on at one time.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

I never put them on. The ones that came in our kits where made out of wood and warped enough that I felt the only thing they would do is add drag so I left them off. On Corys we made a set out of carbon and we just haven’t installed them yet.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Got a 3d printer and been making a camera mount. I think its going to work! Off airport landings I can see a camera would be very helpful to not hit a rock or mow a sage brush down that I can't see.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Very Cool! Good job. Which printer did you get?

Clark