Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 74 of 86 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Nice!
    How much infill did you use on the print? Do you know how much the whole upgrade weighs (you said super light)? Did you put the elevator hinges at the seams?

These wouldn't be hard to draw up in a CAD program, but are you willing to share the STL files?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

So with the statement they are attached between the stab and elevator are you saying this is just a friction fit between the two?

Phil, 10 percent infill. Guessing they are around 1 pound for all the pieces but I will weigh them when the next set finishes. I made some adjustments on the second set, and I am happy to share the STL files after I make sure they fit. Maybe thingiverse as I am not sure I can post files here? There are 3 different pieces. Yes they are seemed at the hinges with a flap the covers the hinge.

Flybyjim, Yes they are just stuck between the elevator and horizontal stab. Took about 8-9 versions to get one that fit to my liking. I will get some more pictures and it will make sense. Pretty simple print just takes a long time to print. TPU you have to slow down to get a good print.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Was able to do more testing. Gap seals make a huge difference! They make almost as much difference as VG's. Stall speed, power off, is slower because I have more elevator control. Landing distance is now shorter because I can land slower now. First landing off airport, I flared and found myself starting to fly again when usually I just run out of elevator. So far my estimates is I am 2mph faster in cruise with them also! I am printing another set for Corys plane, and once I check the fitment I will post the STL files on thingiverse. If you know CAD its not hard to draw these up. I will help those looking to print your own once I finish with the second set. I felt confident enough with them that I took my wife and flew down to Mexcian Mountain to go on a hike and have lunch. It was cold and shortly after landing I check the fitment of the Gaps seals and they where riding perfect.

The static port gaurd has corrected my indicated airspeed. On the G3X, I now have an accurate indicated airspeed, my TAS is now accurate which gives me an accurate winds aloft readout. I used some 3M 468MP 200 MP Adhesive to attach it. I have posted it on thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5317115

The layout of these are not correct, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 03-13-2022 at 07:32 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote: Was able to do more testing. Gap seals make a huge difference! They make almost as much difference as VG's. Stall speed, power off, is slower because I have more elevator control. Landing distance is now shorter because I can land slower now. First landing off airport, I flared and found myself starting to fly again when usually I just run out of elevator. So far my estimates is I am 2mph faster in cruise with them also!

Well now I have to buy a printer, where does it end! haha
    Great job and great results!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

While not as fancy as yours (made mine from rubberized copper tube foam from lowes, split in half) , my results were similar on my Series 5. I found that elevator control especially at the end on the flare is much more responsive and allows slower touchdown speeds. Amazing what you youngsters are doing with this 3D printing stuff, very professional looking , nice job. Bruce N199CL

I'm wondering if there are any safety issues with using gap seals like this. If the plastic material can degrade with
    weather/time is there a possibility that it could crack/break and bind up your elevator? I love the idea but it's a bit
    scary installing something that could bind up your most important flight control.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

The material used is called thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU). In the formulation used in 3D printing, it's a soft, flexible material and is not subject to embrittlement or cracking.

The only concern I would have is layer separation leading to portions of a gap seal flapping in the breeze. If the part has sufficiently thick cross section then there should be plenty of layer adhesion to prevent this. Judging by the photos above, I don't think it's a worry with the parts Dustin has designed.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Dustin - how much paint did you use for everything you painted - cowl, flaperons, lift struts, gear, etc.? A quart? A gallon? Thanks!
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

A gallon for two planes.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!