Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by yocum137 View Post
    Oh yeah, I've been thinking about how to put a trailing edge on the Monster shocks, too. Particularly that bare section. I'll be interested to know how much speed you get from that. Looks good!
    I gained about 1mph. I noticed that there doesn't seem to be as much buffeting on the belly when going fast in a decent. At 5200 rpm I used to TAS of 105mph and now I am jumping between 106-07 but mostly hovering around 106mph. Made some more parts, and everything adds up but they seem to help TAS at 107mph now.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 09-03-2022 at 03:39 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

ON TOP!

The landing spot is called ON TOP. Conditions have to be just right, and they where so we got both STI's on top. Landing is uphill so it short and takeoff you can fly down the canyon. Pretty fun!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Jquayle View Post
    Shadowrider,

I have the same engine and had a few questions if you don't mind:

1. how did you get the Boost Temp in the Garmin? Which probe and where did you attach it?
    2. I'm running a vernier throttle, but I have it it running through the 90° bend (which I hate). Did you have to do anything else special with the throttle arm Aviator97 made for you or was it pretty straightforward once you have that part.

Thank you so much,

Jeff
    1. UMA Temp Probe 1/8 NPT 1B1R Must be 1B1R. If it does not have and R it will not work. Recommend to order directly from UMA. You will also need 3/16" Barb to 1/8" Male NPT Adapter

It wires into the GEA-24 and then you can call it what you want. On Corys we ran two temp probes. One at the turbo and one after the intercooler. Interesting we see 250-270F before the intercooler and then after the intercooler around 110 to 120. (WOT Summertime temps) 130 degree temp drop across the intercooler....its doing its job! You need an aluminum bung and weld a bung into the charge tube after the intercooler. Then you screw in the 1/8NPT Temp probe. Keeping your intake temps down are very important on keeping your engine alive! I will post some photos if I can find them.

2. I did not run the 90 degree bend. I followed Scott Noble and built a throttle arm and ran a straight shot. I used two clamps, one to the other, to hold the cable housing. I bought a rotax cable clamp to clamp the cable to the throttle arm that allows it to pivot. I also don't prescribe to rotax's thinking that if your cable breaks it goes to full WOT so I removed the spring. In cruise with a fixed pitch prop, if my cable broke and went to WOT my engine would over-rev and grenade quicker than I could probably react.

You can see the probe right before hose that hooks to the throttle body.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks! I saw the list of parts, but wasn't sure the UMA probe was the one you were referencing for the Boost temp. Like your idea of measuring before and after the intercooler to measure efficiency. Definitely think I'll go that route. Appreciate the additional pictures as well. Not seeing the 1B1R part listing on the UMA site or anywhere online. I'll call directly and see if I have better luck. (Found the
    UMA TEMP PROBE 1/8 NPT 1B1 NON TSO probe). What does the 'R' signify that makes it a requirement?

Jeff

I had to call and order it. I ordered the one without the r and it didn’t work. Garmin manual states you need a resistant type sensor and I think that is what the R stand for.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the info on the sensor. I'll contact them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    On Corys we ran two temp probes. One at the turbo and one after the intercooler. Interesting we see 250-270F before the intercooler and then after the intercooler around 110 to 120. (WOT Summertime temps) 130 degree temp drop across the intercooler....its doing its job! You need an aluminum bung and weld a bung into the charge tube after the intercooler. Then you screw in the 1/8NPT Temp probe.

Did you run the 2nd probe in the intercooler itself? Thinking it must be here?

Attachment 30797

Your link didn’t work? There is a port on the turbo, you can remove it and the probe screws right in. It’s on the compressor side.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I had to call and order it. I ordered the one without the r and it didn’t work. Garmin manual states you need a resistant type sensor and I think that is what the R stand for.
    Called UMA - none in stock, ETA 4 weeks. Checked with about 10 of their distributors and none even had it in their system. $97 + $3% cc fee. Have the part on order.

Thanks again for the info. Neither Jason at BadAssPowersystems nor Mike at StolCreek knew which probe was needed. I think you just saved me several weeks or perhaps months trying to find the right part!

(for anyone else looking - sales@umainstruments was the email to inquire. Susie is the contact for sales)

Quote Originally Posted by Jquayle View Post
    Called UMA - none in stock, ETA 4 weeks.
    Just a quick update - UMA had the part out to me in just over a week! In this day of supply shortages, it was nice to get something WAY ahead of the expected delivery date.

Dustin - if you see this, I tried to PM you but your message box is full and won't allow you to receive any new messages. I was going to ask about trying to source that throttle cable you had built. If you knew of anyone else that I might be able to get one from. I reached out to Aviator79 a few weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet.

JQ

Sorry just cleaned the inbox. I got the throttle cable from McFarland. I think I posted it awhile back? I will look through photos tonight and see if I can find some info.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!