Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 76 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

You are correct Jim, I remember the thread and sealed the holes on the edge of my caps at that point.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Photo below shows where to look and seal the cap edges.
    FF01BD88-8793-4652-92DC-5A791F254660.jpeg
    The yellow marker tip shows where to seal using J.B. Weld.
    Usually four locations around the rim to fill with a very small amount of J.B. Weld. These caps don’t always bypass the ram air from the cap tubes during flight but enough do that it warrants taking 10 minutes and sealing these areas.

The photo shows the Mercedees blue gaskets for a better seal of the caps. They are permanent replacements for the lower quality black rubber gaskets that come with the caps. They can be tight for some caps but a little “adjustment” of the cap retention tabs usually takes care of that issue if you’ve found your original black rubber seals not working or worse, breaking down from age.
    A little wipe periodically of engine oil or fuel lube on the blue gaskets can make removal and reinstalling the caps much easier.
    9C93EDD6-B3D1-4F7D-8A5F-D8807DAA8485.jpeg
    Mercedees part number for blue cap seals.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Kitfox is brazing those holes closed now. Well, they were when I got mine in Dec '20. See the attached image. The 4 holes on the outside go nowhere after the vent holes are brazed shut.

IMG_8630.jpg
    Last edited by yocum137; 04-13-2022 at 01:36 PM.
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

Hey Dustin,

What did you use for heater fan speed control? Looks like a PWM control of some sort.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looking good! I am excited to hear the full flight report?
    I don't have a decent flight result report and probably won't ever have one. There's a story here, not a "hold my beer" type so the details are a bit boring to anyone that isn't interested in the math or finer points so I'll try and be brief. First of all, once I got into the details of the analysis I "discovered" the premise of my approach was flawed from the get go so I had to back to what could have been. (My approach works with a constant speed prop - which I don't have.) Second, I didn't take enough baseline data to absolutely validate the accuracy of foundational data points. Third, as reported earlier, after installing the fairings I wasn't able to fly in calm (enough?) conditions to get reliable data. Cutting and chopping through the data I did discover there is really good reason to believe (know?) I was using less power at the same RPMs to achieve the same speeds. The picture was unmistakable and the final output report looks like this:

Drag reduction is somewhere between 5.4 and 8.4 pounds (which compares favorably to raw aerodynamic drag calculations based on the physical attributes that says it should be 7.3 pounds).

Putting the numbers into the formula indicates that the maximum (potential) speed improvement will be 3.7 knots (4.25 mph)

I just couldn't help myself (maybe a form of OCD?) but I went back to my glide speed graphs and, using that data, discovered that level flight at 96.2 knots (1127 pounds) takes 57.5 HP and using Rotax graphs a 912 ULS at 2000 ft density altitude and 5500 rpm is putting out slightly less than 65.4 HP. All this goes to propeller efficiency which would mean mine is running about 87% efficient - a number much larger than I would have guessed but within range of some of the best modern props.

All of the data and analysis seen here is not much better than "back of the envelope" calculations but, on the other hand, I was surprised at how well everything meshed within bounds of reasonableness.

A really short version of the long answer to your question - I'd not expect a speed improvement of more than 3.7 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by yocum137 View Post
    Kitfox is brazing those holes closed now. Well, they were when I got mine in Dec '20. See the attached image. The 4 holes on the outside go nowhere after the vent holes are brazed shut.

IMG_8630.jpg
    Exactly. I had a little pinhole on one of those welds that was causing a little loss of pressure on that tank. Also, if you have the blue gaskets and the cap still isn’t as tight as you’d like it, you can gently bend those 2 tabs to correct it. I did that too. Worked great.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

New fuel caps have been working great. I still get about 1/3 tank fuel imbalance and then it will finally equalize when it gets lower fuel levels but its not pushing fuel into the opposite wing anymore.

Did a trip into Johnson Creek prior to going to the Kitfox flyin. Idaho back-country is not for the faint of heart. Its an entire different game up there. Flying down the bottom of a deep canyon with no options to land if you had troubles. Plane ran great and performed like a champ. I went into a dozen different strips. The highlights where "Mile High, and Dewey Moore." Loved flying into the lodges to get breakfast after hitting a few new strips in the morning. Great to have an seasoned Idaho pilot (Scott Noble) before going into some very inhospitable terrain. Did a post flight inspection today and everything looked good. Only issue I have is some finishing tape on me tail is starting to separate. Debating on pull it all off or trying to salvage it? Sent of an oil sample to check the health of the engine to also make sure everything internal is still happy. I took a gopro to try and film some but it turns out you have to remember to turn it on and off. Didn't get any of "Mile High" and only the landing of "Dewey Moore". Here is a couple of photos. After JC we flew down to check out the flyin. Pretty fun to check everyones planes and talk kitfox's.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Its been hot and TS here so not much flying going on. Working on making some new parts.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Oh yeah, I've been thinking about how to put a trailing edge on the Monster shocks, too. Particularly that bare section. I'll be interested to know how much speed you get from that. Looks good!

Its been hot and TS here so not much flying going on. Working on making some new parts.
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

Shadowrider,

I have the same engine and had a few questions if you don't mind:

1. how did you get the Boost Temp in the Garmin? Which probe and where did you attach it?
    2. I'm running a vernier throttle, but I have it it running through the 90° bend (which I hate). Did you have to do anything else special with the throttle arm Aviator97 made for you or was it pretty straightforward once you have that part.

Thank you so much,

Jeff

I have had some ask on parts needed for the G3X and running the edge912STI. I copied part numbers and what I could think of. Don't hold me to anything!

Throttle cable we ran the Mcfarlane MCTV3035-048. You will need a throttle arm. You can make one or get in touch with Brian, Aviatior79 and buy one from him.

ES-50054 from stein air. This is a pcb board that integrates the require resistors for rpm signal and oil pressure signal.

Intercooler. (edge will build you one) We bought a 915 takeoff. Rotax part number 888962

Oil to water heat exhanger https://www.batinc.net Laminova cooling by Sem c43-90 mocalusa.com

Silicone hose for heat exchanger 1.000" ID 90 Degree, 10" Legs
    Siliconehose.com

Naca for intake and intercooler.
    https://www.pro-werks.com (Had to modify the 7x14naca) C42-030

Kitfox sold us a naca for the intake.

K&N Filter RU-830 (Summit Racing)

Intake temp guage.
    UMA Temp Probe 1/8 NPT 1B1R Must be 1B1R. If it does not have and R it will not work. Recommend to order directly from UMA. You will also need 3/16" Barb to 1/8" Male NPT Adapter

Manifold Pressure.
    UMAPressure Sender ABS 0-60 1/8”F NPT

EGTS Spruce part number 15-09438 IM-927 EGT TYPE K SENSOR 6ft.

Fuel Pressure.
    (Kavlico P4055-50G-E4A)

Fuel Flow
    (2) FT-60 fuel cubes

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
    Silicone Connectors= $33.98
    1 x 2.0" Silicone 90° Elbow, Blue (SIL000029)
    1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 2.0" (SIL000696) = $14.99
    1 x 2.0" Silicone 135° Elbow, Blue (SIL000650) = $19.99
    1 x 2.0" Silicone 1' Straight Hose, Blue (SIL000186) = $24.99
    6 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.00" Silicone Parts (CLA000100) = $15.60 (I think the next size up would be better. Use 2.25 and one of the tclamps go to the next size above 2.25 for the throttle body connection.)