Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Called kitfox and they said they are getting away from PERMASHIELD.....
    Did you ask them what they are using as a replacement?

I have always used Fuel Lube because that is what we have where I work. We have been using it for decades on certified aircraft.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    John was going to check and let me know........I have not heard from him yet. Just wanted to know what everyone else is using. He was saying they have had problems with permasheild if you run autogas. I plan on 100ll but want to make sure I am good for all fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post

I have always used Fuel Lube because that is what we have where I work. We have been using it for decades on certified aircraft.
    When I search for Fuel Lube this is what it brings up?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...php#review_tab

Thinking of using PST 565 for the threads on the fuel fittings into fuel tank. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    When I search for Fuel Lube this is what it brings up?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...php#review_tab
    That's it. It's a great helping hand for assembly, as well. Just the right amount of stickum for washers in cramped places, etc.

Yes, that is what I was talking about.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Frustrating that none of the photos work. I think I figured out how to embed photos now that are fullsize so hopefully this will work. I have been working a lot and not posting much. I was in Cali for work and was able to visit Eddie and check out his plane! It is looking good! Thanks Eddie for showing me and giving me some ideas.

Nick flew into Provo and we where able to meet up with him. Took me and my brother up. Gave us more motivation to keep plugging along. Amazed that Nick built his in 5 months. Did a stellar job, wiring is top notch.

Installed the extended baggage kit from kitfox and got the boards drilled. Going to remove for covering. I just realize there are a lot of small jobs in between the big ones that can get done.

Man the tail access is a pain! Took two full days to get that done. I was able to get both sides done and ready to cover. Not sure if we are going to powder coat or not? Anyone tried just covering it with Oratex?

Almost finished up with the wing. Need to tackle the leading edge and then plumbing.

Leading edge was a lot of work but glad to get one wing finished.

Not real happy with the wingtip stall fence so I took it off. Kitfox is going to build a new wingtig that is carbon wrapped. I am going to leave it exposed and clear it. Didn't like how fragile the stall fence at the end is as worried someone will bump into it and damage it easily. Excited that kitfox is starting to build more carbon parts. Carbon Kitfox STI........??? Stay tuned and I will post pictures.....of wingtip🙂

Wingtip doesn't match up well with the leading edge so I think I am going to blend it better??

Hoping to be able to cover by Christmas. We talked to Edge and planning on taking delivery around Jan for engines. Oh, brothers is the same place. Trying to stay close.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 10-03-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Glad to have you over Cameron.
    Things are looking great in these pics. Given all that dang light you have to work with you could really mess up the circadian rhythm and end up working through the night. You two will get these built in short order as you have four hands and two backs and the knowledge from one to apply to the second bird. I think these will go together quicker than you might think. The Oratex adhesive is so strong that the panel could be covered with fabric very easily. I don't believe I would have liked how the fabric folds around the corners. There are significant complex edges to deal with. I think you could find a good rattle can automotive spray paint that will match the fabric pretty good. Use white primer if you do spray it. I have silver paint and I used a green zinc chromate on two parts and I do believe these two parts are off a bit as they have a green hue to them. Other places I have used the same paint and its a near perfect match where there is white primer underneath. Pep Boys has auto paint and the Ford Silver is quite a good match for the silver Oratex. My access covers were painted with Poly Tone silver and that silver is what I would call a perfect match for the Oratex. Not the best stuff for metal though. Im betting I will be repainting much of what I have used on metal with some other more sticky paint.
    Last edited by efwd; 10-04-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: omission
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie! Trying to find the silver you used as it’s such a close match. Neveda Silver or Rancho Silver? We where thinking of painting edges, then covering and trimming using a blade and not wrapping it but just covering the exterior.

Dustin

Hey Dustin,

I folded the baggage sack in on itself and tied it up like a roast for covering. No real need to remove it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS