Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Good catch and Fix, always something to fix aye. You should get in touch with Jason Gray and have him send pics of the way he stabilized his exhaust pipe. It attached to the firewall , looked very secure.

Just my opinion, but I don't think its a good idea to attach something like an exhaust that moves and vibrates with the engine and has large heating/cooling expansion/contraction to something as fragile as a radiator that is fixed to the airframe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Its rubber mounted to dampen and allow movement. If the bracket was welded correctly I don't think I would have had a problem. In fact without the exhaust attached, I think it would have still broken. With the exhaust removed, when I was removing the radiator to weld, there was alot of lateral force on this mount. The other mount was pulling pretty hard against this mount.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 01-25-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I am BACK! Had to go to Dallas for training on a new aircraft and have been gone for a month! I ran my fuel down low and then added some avgas to the tanks for safe keeping as I was gone. I have been working on designing new doors handles. We tried buying the machined AL ones that allow your door to be popped open but with the stainless piece and the stop it would not fit. Originally when I bought the door handles I did I thought they would allow you to pop the door like the old trim windows in a vehicle. They didn't work. So with EAA giving you a access to solid works I decided to try and learn solidworks. Its been fun learning and seeing parts come to life. I tried to put a logo on the handle but it was not large enough that they told me it would not print. So I changed it and decided to put my tail number and Turbo on the handle for fun. I went out and test flew yesterday with a new door handle and they work great! Little cold but will be nice in warmer temps. I need to make one final tweak to keep the handles from rotating to far when closing but they work great!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

They look a lot like the ones Murle Williams Aviation has been selling since the late ‘90’s. His are from Ford and were used on pickup truck wing windows if I recall. I installed them on my model 4 back in 2003 and on my new 7SS. Work great. Nice job. 👍 Yours have the extra section that allows for “venting” the door where as mine needed to have a slot cut into them to allow the striker plate to hold the door in the vent position.
    You’ll like them. In the vent position they do a great job of bringing cool air into the cockpit during hot days.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes I bought one from him but could never figure out a good way to allow it to pop open, so I decided to take a stab at solid works. I have learned a bunch and it was pretty fun to do! It was printed with great detail and they are very strong. Got me thinking about the possibilities!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

We just cut a thin slot along the bottom of the handle that captured the striker plate and locked the door open about a half inch or so. Yours looks easier to locate than “ hunting” for that thin slot in the bottom of the handle.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Here is the thin slot method:
    IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg
    Last edited by desertdave; 02-26-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Oh nice! I thought of doing that but it did not seem like it would open enough to get some air in. Oh well!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Yes I bought one from him but could never figure out a good way to allow it to pop open, so I decided to take a stab at solid works. I have learned a bunch and it was pretty fun to do! It was printed with great detail and they are very strong. Got me thinking about the possibilities!
    What printing service did you use and what material did you have it printed in?
    -David
    Building Classic IV
    https://carrieraero.wordpress.com/