Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 63 of 85 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I guess that's the only "ghost" image on the ground were going to see this year. Airventure 2021 is the next we hope. Very nice Dustin, Thanks.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Dustin, I tried to message you but your folder is full. I have a few questions regards to your EP912sti could I possibly email you or talk? my email; haypartington@gmail.com

Robin

Fixed. Sent you an email.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Couple flying photos. First one is on new years day, providing air support for the ground vehicles hunting coyotes. My brother has an old jeep that he bushwack's in and I was helping him by spotting. Low ceilings and low visibility made it interesting. Hard to spot without much snow on the ground. Flying around for 3 hours at low power settings and I still landed with 15 gallons.

Next group of photos is finding a landing spot on a ridge. Can't tell from the photos, but its fairly steep. (at least for me as a novice) Steep enough that it would roll backwards without the brakes. I learned that when turning around on a ridge, turn into the wind and be careful, bush wheels have no traction. It started to slide of the side, which made me pretty nervous.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Living the dream Dustin. Nice photo's!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I really enjoy all your flying photos, Dustin. They're great motivation, so keep 'em coming!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I got the shutter built! Found a local guy who has a water jet. Pretty cool machine. It is accurate to .003" I had him cut the holes for the dowl pin and the pins pressed right in just like they where meant to. I know I didn't come up with the design, but still fun to draw it up and have it all come together. I did some testing and figured I needed to increase the size of the shutter by about 30%. I wanted it big enough to keep things warm in the winter and small enough that I still have plenty of cooling in the summer. I got it installed, using velcro and a piece of angle I bent. Went to test fly it and I saw close to 200 on oil in the climb with it closed, (it was a warmer day of 45f) and then opened the shutter and oil temps dropped rapidly to 160F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Getting ready to go to mineral canyon and I was inspecting things and found a crack in my radiator mount. As I started looking closer I discovered that the mounting bracket was not complete welded. For some reason they never ran a bead across the top of the bracket and it has been flexing which caused it to break. Fortunately I have been practicing tig welding aluminum and felt like I could weld this up safely. Its one thing to run a bead on some practice pieces, but when it really counts I got fairly nervous. Really didn't want to a burn a hole! Interested thing is both of our radiators where welded this same way, not welding around the perimeter of the mount on this side. The other side of my radiator was welded top and bottom of the mounting bracket. Tried to figure out if there is a reason, but just guessing it just got missed? Decided with the added stress having my exhaust secured to the mounting bracket I wanted to stiffen it up some. Welded a gusset on the inside to help transfer some of the loads. I would of just ran a bead, but the gap was too big for my liking and aluminum is really hard to fill gaps. Maybe someone with more experience could but I didn't want to risk it.

After welding up the radiator, I got my shutter installed and went for a test flight. No leaks and everything seems to be running good so we planned to head to mineral canyon. My younger brother was going to come with me and a friend was going to bring his 172. Morning of the weather looked like we would have another cloud layer to deal with. Forcast winds aloft where forcast to be around 15mph. When I got to the airport the standing lenticular had me a little nervous. Flight ended up being smooth! We decided to go down at 11500' to clear the mountains and take advantage of the tail wind. Funny how 125 mph feels fast! I checked the night before and most of the land around mineral canyon is BLM including most of the green river. We flew over the river looking for a good sand bar to land on. The are tons of them on the green river! We landed at mineral canyon and decided to go check out the old mine right by the airport. Pretty cool. We went clear back into the mine, far enough that it was getting hard to remember what turns we took and far enough that the air felt like it was pretty stale. After that I decided to fly up the river and land on a sand bar and drop my brother off. Went back to mineral and picked up my friend to take him to the sand bar. Bucket list checked off landing on a sand bar. Decided I am going to come back in the spring and camp!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Nice!! Must have been a lot of fun! Good job on the welding also, Dustin... hope that fixes it for good. Do you have a MIG or TIG machine? What kind of wire (or rod)? I usually use 5356 rod when welding aluminum with my old Lincoln TIG 250 IDEALARC.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have a mig lincoln with a spool gun from years ago, but I recently decided to try the everlast 255ext tig and have been very impressed with it. I have been using 4043 rod. The radiator had a lot of oxide which made it very challenging to weld. Definitely should of cleaned it better. In fact its probably why originally my radiator leaked. When it was built they didn't get the best cleaning action so I have a very porous weld on one side that will weep radiator fluid when hot.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!