Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Petersen View Post
    Something that will help with rudder pedal fitment (and in other areas) is notching the forward floorboard to clear the welds and tabs rather than having those things hold the wood artificially high. Easily done with a dremel tool.
    FYI...

Thanks! Good catch in the picture. Yes that is what I ended up doing. The welds on the side holds the floor board up on the end at an angle so when you tighten the bracket down it angles the bracket and causes to much friction on the plastic bearing. I also noticed, what others have also noticed, that the rudder pedal assembly does not sit level. I had to put washers under the middle and pilots bracket. Pedal will both drop freely without the springs on. For whatever reason, my entire assemble was to long.

I also had to shorten the torque tubes in order to make the bolts align in the channel on the frame.

I mean that I spent time unwisely by staining the wood first. The interior kit will cover all the wood making my stain work useless.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Got you! I almost went down that rabbit hole. The instructions are a little misleading by telling you to select the best looking wood grain and being careful when drilling and using wood backing to drill into. I thought I am going to change these out for carbon and make them look sweet, then realized they are all covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    For whatever reason, my entire assemble was to long.

I also had to shorten the torque tubes in order to make the bolts align in the channel on the frame.
    I had the same issue. My rudder pedal assembly brackets ended up not centering over the channels because the assembly was too long overall. I actually notched the channels so that the washers would fit underneath instead of shortening the torque tubes. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

My recollection is that I used MS21043 nuts with NAS620 washers. The reduced OD allowed them to fit and to get a socket on the nut. I also upgraded the screws (NAS1351 I think).
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I posted this on another thread, but here is re-post. Things are going well on the build. Some parts are more enjoyable than others.

Build Update

I knew my RC tools would come in handy! Apparently you can only upload little pictures now???

We are onto the wings now. Don't have a picture but working on the fuel tanks now. Rib1 done, flapperon attach points done, attachment doublers done. Build is going good, just trying to stay steady building every chance I get. We are working on getting the firewall forward order as we don't want to be held up with parts. John and Thomas(edge performance) are working with us on what we need. We are going to run the Edge Performance turbo 912. Some ask why are we not using the 915? Well....edge performance turbo 912 is lighter and makes more power than the 915, so it should have some good performance. (and cheaper) Obviously lots of things to figure out, but we are up to the challenge.

New from kitfox, they now offer an extended baggage. They are going to trade ours out and we are going to get the extended baggage.

We are to the part of the build that we need some help on doing it the best way. We are building the wings and need to make sure we get everything in them that we need. We have decided to go with the Garmin g3x touch. Garmin pitot tube install kit from kitfox on order. I think we need to install the remote heading in the wing somewhere? Any input on the best way to do this?

Also we just received our Aeroled pulsar nav/strobe combo. What is the best way to wire these up in the wing? What wire should we use and what connectors? Best place to get the wire and supplies? Sorry I know there is a lot of questions any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good!

I hope these are helpful for ideas:

This is where my OAT is:

Routing pitot and AOA:

The bottom side of the wing at the tip. You can see the pitot/AOA routing, but you also see the bottom side of a wood mounting plate and the brass screws that mount the remote magnetometer. (Let me know if you need brass screws, I have tons.)

Top view before coveirng. You can see routing and magnetometer.

Wiring to lights in the wingtips, cable for the magnetometer, and the pitot/AOA tubing will all run through the rear spar to the cockpit when the wings are on. I'm using standard molex connetors to detatch wires at the tip so I can remove the tips if I need to. In my case, that will be very near the end of the build. I can't get wings on my plane in my garage - not even if they are folded.
    Last edited by aviator79; 08-23-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

There were "Molex" connectors included with my AeroLEDs.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Sweet thanks for the pictures! What are green and blue wires for?

For sure he has a pitot tube along with a AOA . That requires two tubes to the instruments. Likely his is set up in two colors so that pitot side is one color and AOA is the opposite. Thats how mine is done anyhow.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X