Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Cruise is smoother, way smoother. All power ranges are smoother. I will take low frequency “hop” for a few mins to have it smooth through all ranges. Impact to engine is a lot less having it smoother every where else. When I was letting it warm up it was not really a vibration but about every second a hop felt through my squishy tires. When you hold the balance ring and you turn it you can here the mercury running around so I doubt it stays in any location on shutdown. Honestly it does not concern me one bit that it’s not as smooth at idle as before because it’s noticeably smoother through all ranges.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Ah, well that answers my questions as to how it works. I was trying to figure out how the thing floated on the back plate. Liquid, got it. I look forward to hearing more as you put a few more hours on it.

Thanks for the report

I am interested but am more than a little concerned about the initial warm-up vibration for "several minutes". I am reminded of a carb balance I was doing several years ago and the idle sync was way off. I of course had the upper & lower cowls off and was amazed and concerned as I observed the engine vibrating severely. It just about threw off an air cleaner and I was visualizing the internal carburetor float and needle parts jumping around; fuel coming out the vents. I shut it down and fixed things right away, not wanting to let it run this way for even a few minutes. By the way it was smooth at rpms above about 3000. If the Balance Master allows anywhere near this kind of idle vibration every time you start it up for several minutes I would personally remove it and stick with conventional balancing and carb synchronizing. I would be very interested to hear from several who have installed the BM and have gotten out of the cabin and stood by the engine idling with the cowls off right after starting and report what they see for several minutes. If the engine/accessories, carbs, air filters, etc. look like a visual blur with fuel spurting from the vents I think we would all want to know this.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim nothing like you are stating. No buzzing or vibrating, but more of a slight hop at 2000rpms that I didn't notice before. I was thinking of doing a before and after but didn't want to go to the effort it would have taken. I would not even call vibration but a hop. Like I said very low frequency. More probably to do with my NR spinner, as they don't track the truest. Nothing you would have even noticed other than I was paying close attention. All I can say is I would have to agree with Larry, they are amazing, and I don't think you will be disappointed. I think they will take it back minus shipping if you are not happy. We are ordering two more. One for my brothers kitfox and one for our powered parachute with a 582.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Regarding the Balance Master, it was reasonably enough priced, so I jumped in and got one too. I want to do some testing with it before commenting too much, and haven't been able to fly with it yet. I've got my own dynamic balance rig (ACES), and my assembly is balanced to 0.05 ips or less. One thing bothers me is the statement by Balance Masters that the assembly shouldn't be pre-balanced, as that can interfere with the operation of the Balance Master (which I'll call a BM ). Common sense tells me that's ridiculous... the BM has no way of telling that there is a weight installed to balance the assembly, or if the assembly is just well balanced all by itself. The BM is reacting to movement of the entire spinning mass that it is installed on. Of course if the assembly is well out of balance before installing a BM, the initial perceived improvement will be more evident and greater than if it was if well balanced to begin with. I'm not saying it is, but this could be a marketing strategy. Next, if you carefully watch the video test on BM's website, with a Rotax and a DynaVibe, you'll see that the balance with the BM is definitely improved with the BM (I'm assuming the assembly had not been dynamically balanced), but is not particularly good compared to a good dynamic balance job at other than high RPM, and it sometimes varies considerably going up & down through various RPMs. So, I'm interested to see what happens.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yes, that bothered me too John. Still a few questions in my mind, but I am all ears.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    ...One thing bothers me is the statement by Balance Masters that the assembly shouldn't be pre-balanced, as that can interfere with the operation of the Balance Master (which I'll call a BM ). Common sense tells me that's ridiculous... ...
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait to hear your results. I was ready to purchase one based on Dustin's report alone but I'll wait for some more feedback...

Thanks!
    Clark

John I had the same thoughts you are having. I ran my prop close to what felt like 30 times with a g3x to get it as perfect as I could. (Mostly trying to set it up correctly) I ended up at .05ips. I thought the same thing why not leave the weights on and pre-balance it before? One thing to think about is when you are balancing dynamically you are only balancing at one rpm. I balanced mine at rpm at 5200. I felt after getting my to .05ips its was much smoother at 5200 but some rpms where not as smooth with the weight on. I had close to 20 grams. I called and asked BM and he said to remove the weights because they are not needed and some rpms they have found the weights to make it worse. I guess I can kind of understand that because my prop felt smooth at 5200 but it was worse are certain rpms. In fact in all my runs going through certain rpms I thought I screwed up the weights because it was worse on the g3x until it smoothed out at 5200. I was trying to find app to measure vibrations in the air so I could do a before and after in the air. All I can say is my prop is not only smoother at 5200 rpms with the BM then with my dynamically balanced prop that was dynamically balanced to 05ips.

I did watch the video on was not that impressed with the numbers and the video made me more skeptical. In fact when I was dynamically balancing mine I found the balance master but was not impressed. The only reason I bought it now was because of Larry and Mangy Fox review.

I will report back after a couple more flights if I am still liking it. I will be the first to admit I will pull it off if I feel it’s not as good as it was before.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 01-06-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Thumbs up Re: Dual STI build log

Very interesting. I eagerly await the testing results.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

This forum is sure costing me money. The last few purchases have been driven by discussions and/or recommendations read here. (Prop and balance master the last two. It'll be a few months for me before I can test them out.) Don't tell my wife where I get the ideas.