Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Wow! Great to see your plane in action!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thank you Dustin for the amazing content and participation on the forum! You have done the kitfox community a great service with your build and inspired many to keep pushing through! Hope to see you in the air soon!

Thanks! The forum saved me many times....just trying to repay!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

We have been working on getting N53TF wired up (#2). Amazing how much I forgot, and have to lookup again. We are wiring them identical. Getting closer to powering it up. Almost time to run the Can-bus to each LRU and flip the switch.

I have been testing scoops on naca to see if airflow can be increased. I tested the naca for the cabin air by adding a scoop. The air velocity was increased from 50mph to 55mph out of the vent. I added to one side and not the other. I tested using a kestrel hand held weather station. So I tried applying a scoop to the Naca for the intercooler see if the temperature dropped at all. I need to review over the data logs but initially I am saying there was no drop. This could mean I have already max out possible airflow. I have not yet painted the cowl because I am waiting until we fly my brothers to compare temps. Once that happens then I will pull the cowl and paint it. I am also considering doing an annual at this time. Should be right around 100 hrs on the engine and I can reset the clock for the annual during winter when flying is slower.

One thing I don't like about the oratex is the staining. You can see from the pictures the exhaust stains the oratex and wax is not helping remove it or prevent it. Oddly enough Non-ethonal fuel stains it quicker than ethonal fuel, but they both will stain over time. Still curious if 100ll will stain? I wish I had a solution but have not come up with anything yet. I seemed to have tried everything. Only thing that works is laquor thinner. It removes some, but not all. It cant be good for the fabric though. I think I am going to contact Oratex directly and see if they have any suggestions.

The edge engine is running strong. Its fun to climb steep and hold on. Took my younger brother who wants to get his license up for his first lesson. Everyone's response has pretty much been the same. "Holy Cow!"

Tundra-lite users be careful! I got a bad shimmy last time landing. Felt like a flat tire. I did not realize the tail-wheel tension had loosened up. Jim states in his instructions you will get a shimmy if the tail is loose. I did not realize that it would loosen up over time, so check your instructions on how to set tension and make sure you tension does not go too loose. Other than that I have loved the Tundra lite. I don't ever lock the tail anymore, but its there if I need it.

This plane still makes me nervous flying, but I am starting to build more confidence.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yeh Dustin, I see the yellow. I burn 100LL exclusively and when my wing fuel valve caused the leak I got the blue stain off with Isopropyl Alcohol. All of it. All I get down along the exhaust trail is a white residue that seemed to wash off pretty well with nothing more than the Oratex cleaner. I have pretty much run out of it so I will be testing something else now. And for those trying to rig your tail wheel correctly, call the wheel manufacture or understand that you can't use YouTube unless its your exact set up as I did. Now you know what I was experiencing Dustin. That wheel goes nuts when set up incorrectly. The Matco Wheel that comes with the Kit must have tension on the springs always where as the Scott style wheel needs slack, for those who still need to get there.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Yeah the yellow staining does not come off with alcohol, acetone, gas, soap, ect. Very frustrating! As far as my tail wheel, the tundra lite is a full castering so no springs or cables. You just tighten the bearings down so it will not pivot around as easily. Takes 2 seconds, just didn't realized it had loosened up.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hi Dustin, your plane looks great! Congrats.
    I am ordering the T3 tailwheel spring from KF and looking at the Tundra lite tailwheel.
    Could you post a couple up close pictures of the final installation? Would be appreciated. I have also recieved and going with oratex.
    Thanks,
    Joe Leeman
    KF5
    912uls

Dustin, if you don't mind answering, what is the cause of being nervous?
    Is it just because it's new and you're building confidence in the airplane as you fly it more or is it because of the handling/power characteristics?
    My buddy and I just bought an S7 and leaning toward putting in the 915iS.

Thanks

Joe if you look back through the thread there are some pictures. post #183 page 19 on how I view it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Okent,

I have been out of GA for over 15 years. The last 15 years I have been flying a part 25 aircraft, and we train for single engine takeoffs, approaches, landings, and figure single engine climb gradients, ect. Now only having one engine, I keep saying to myself....."what happens when I lose the only engine I have?" Suddenly I find myself on short final!

I am not nervous in the construction or flight characteristics of the aircraft, but more in the fact there is only one spinning thing on the nose and its not burning jet A.

With that being said it has been fun getting back into GA flying and learning some new skills.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 12-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!