Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 40 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Smile Re: Dual STI build log

So the welded muffler that I reinforced with gussets only held up to about 10 hours and hairline cracks have already began to show. Luckily Edge Performance stepped up and got us new designed mufflers ASAP. Little disappointed I found a flaw in the weld.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Thanks for the post on the muffler.

Cool Re: Dual STI build log

Here are a couple pictures of my flying adventures. The last part of the 40 hrs phase one seemed to drag on so I decided to venture out a little bit. I had a 100nm restriction (leash) so I decided to venture down to Cedar Mountain. First time I did a couple passes and the winds where a little hard to tell what they where doing. It is because Cedar mountain sits fairly high so I think you get swirling winds. I mostly defaulted back to the garmin that was telling me winds where out of the north. Once I flew overtop I found the wind sock that confirmed northly winds. Being up on a mountain and the approach end is on a 1500' drop, the approach is a little tricky to determine your height but not bad. I landed and was surprised at how good of condition the runway was in. I had cell phone service so I did not feel to isolated. It did make me a little nervous shutting down the engine by myself though. Hopefully it would start again. Took a look around and decided to head back out. Flew a total of 3 hours that day. Decided that was fun and wanted to do more. I checked the distance and Mexican mountain was under 100nm from Provo, so I decided I may try it if conditions where right. I flew to Cedar mountain and landed. I also took lunch with me to eat. Pretty fun! Excited to go airplane camping. When I was at Cedar Mountain an aircraft flew overtop doing a pass and then came in and landed. It was a 182. I was impressed that it did just fine getting in. He said he was headed to Mexican mountain next. I felt better about going to Mexican Mountain knowing someone else was coming in behind me. Decided to give it a go. Flying into Mexcian Mountain, the most nervous part of flying there is knowing if you lose your engine, its not going to be good, and possible may not survive. Sure lots a places to land, but lots of times there is nowhere good to set it down. Mexican mountain was awesome. So quiet and no one around. I went exploring for a bit but decided to get back into the air to try and get the 40hrs burned off. I landed to the west and decided to takeoff to the East because there is more options if you lose and engine. The STI performed nicely getting out and I just mashed the throttle and climbed straight out of the canyon! As I was climbing out I heard the 182 starting approach in.

In the phase 1 the only test that had me a little nervous was loading it up to max gross and max aft CG. I left that test for the very last. I loaded the aircraft with 5lbs bags of stainless steel bags that my brother sells for reloading. (Cleaning brass) I put them into duffel bags. Looked like I was hauling something I shouldn't be. I needed 175 lbs in the passenger seat and 150lbs in the cargo and full fuel. Got it loaded and got a little nervous because I was surprised at how heavy the tail was. Triple checked the math, and it all checked out. T3 spring was bottomed out, so I had to jack the tail and tighten the spring 3-4 full turns. I could not pick the tail up. Didn't seem like the little elevators would have enough to get that tail in the air! Firewalled the throttle and manifold pressure hit 46". I guess I have just been so used to the aircraft being light and pinning me in the seat on takeoff, just didn't seem like we where moving very quickly. Take off was double maybe triple distance. Probably around 300-400' I was surprised at how the weight affected performance. I saw about 1000 fpm on takeoff and 500 fpm climbing. I decided to make sure it could still get to altitude so I took it up to 13500' I could defiantly feel the weight. Controls where much heavier and its not as responsive. Decided to try and stall it and see how it felt. Stalled much faster and took more rudder to keep it straight. First stall I just took it to buffet, nose lowered so I relaxed the controls. Second stall I decided to try and get it deep to see how it reacted. Was surprised to see how much the left wing dropped off and it fell to the left. I will say I defiantly like how it flies light versus heavy. Still manageable but not as fun to fly. I could compare it to my 1500 silverado pulling my boat. It pulls fine, but you know its back there and have to plan ahead or you can get yourself into trouble.

Originally I was going to do max gross weight test, then come back to unload the weight and finish the last 2 hrs I needed to do. I decided I wanted to get as much experience as I could being loaded heavy so I just decided to keep flying heavy. Autopilot gains needed to be adjusted to hold Altitude. I could for sure tell I was aft CG because she seemed to be more pitchy than normal. After flying for close to 2.5 hours and doing stalls and turns and climbs and decends I decided to head back. One test I also did, is you can go to the info page on the G3x and it shows glide ratio. Decided to see how she glides heavy. First test was with the wind. I was getting 10.1 glide with the wind. Then I turned 180 and was getting 7.5 into the wind. Decided probably 8.1 is pretty accurate. I am going to head to Ibex lake bed and I am going to try seeing how she flies with the prop stopped. Overall the glide is better than I had thought it would be. I headed back to Provo where I was told to report the right down wind for 13. I was asked if I could take 36 and the winds where calm. I was 1000agl about 1 mile south, figured I would just slip it in and I could accept. Power went to idle and I started down. I kicked the rudder pedals hard, like I usually do in a pretty aggressive slip. Nose dropped and right wind dropped hard. I didn't look back at the logs but I was very surprised to see how much airspeed I almost instantly lost. Tail also kicked hard to the side. Usually I just relax rudder and it will track back but I had to push opposite rudder to get it to come out of the slip. I was not expecting that. Once I got it out of the slip and airspeed control under control I had lost quite a bit of altitude.

Hopefully anyone who is reading this and has not done your Max gross weight test, just be ready for it to fly a lot different. I did not find anything unsafe, just very noticeable across the envelope the added weight. I am going to add into my POH to use caution when slipping when heavy to do it cautiously as it may react differently than expected. Overall I am glad to be done with phase 1. I have not painted my cowl yet, and I think I will wait until this winter. We are trying a little different Naca vent on my brothers and are going to compare intake temps. If we see similar numbers then I will paint. If his is intake temps are lower, I may change mine also. Intake temps: cooler the better!

Question: Which one do I like to flying the best???

Answer: Which every one I am currently flying!

Anyone know what this is? I found these scattered all over the west desert. I am low level in the Sevier B MOA. Military repeater??

BOOHYA!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for the detailed update and superb pictures. Keeps those of us still building focused.

Really appreciate you posting your findings. Great pics. Glad your a/c performed well.
    I can only imagine with such low hrs. in phase 1, how you felt and how I would feel in your shoes. I would have calculated w/b a few times as well, just to know what I think I know, after loading the plane to max aft cg. Interesting hearing about the flying qualities in that heavy condition.
    Great report!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Congratulations Dustin. Looks like the fun is about to begin. I'm currently grounded in Phoenix on account of weather. Don't much care as I don't have to be anyplace until Monday anyhow. 120hrs on mine now and enjoying it immensely. Have fun and fly safe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie the fun has begun! Took my youngest son and we went with a friend to the IBEX lakebed. I had no idea that you could have that much fun on a dry lakebed. A neighbor friend has a 172xp and I talked him into coming with. His son and my son are buddies so they had tons of fun kicking rocks. We setup cones and practiced takeoffs and landings. I was impressed with him as he is a brand new pilot was able to land his 172 in 600' and takeoff in 700'. We need to takeoff his wheel-pants and head to some more back country strips. I setup cones at the threshold, 300' 500' 750' and 1000' I was excited as I was able to consistently get under 300'. I need to spend some time and get the VG's on so I can approach 5mph slower. That should shorten it up some more. Takeoffs I was seeing about 120 to 110'. I was at half tanks and she still has more power in her. If I turned it up a bit more and got better on my technique I think I could be under 100' DA was about 5000'

We decided we are coming back to the lake bed with dirt bikes for the kids and make a camping trip with dirt bikes and airplanes!

I posted a video on youtube you can check out below!

*I know I need to paint cowl..........this winter!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Your technique doesn't look too shabby from where I'm sitting

That engine does sound nice. Quite a bit more 'throaty' than the normal Rotax.

Beautiful. I am envious of all you guys out west. Someday I will make it out there....
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Nice video! Thanks for posting and congrats on the 40hr fly off. Looks great!

Clark