Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

This is very exciting. A friend and I are doing the same thing starting in October. Hoping for a 6 month build time( might be dreaming). Each building a sti. Lead the way and keep posting pictures.
    For those with experience in building at what point do you want to have your engine? Can a lot be done before you start engine work or are there things you need to do on fire wall where the engine is required?

LOL. 6 month build, you better order your engine. sort of kidding. It took 2 months for me to receive my engine. There is a lot of work that can get done before engine. All the flight controls, floor, ELT any Autopilot servos if your using, Fabric, and you can finish your panel first as Carl did. Sounds like your going to build in the order Carl did. He might chime in.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

We got our STI's. It was a long day.......left at 4am to drive to Homedale. Arrived after 10 am and left Homdale at 4pm to get home around 10pm. Whew!

Kitfox was great in helping us build a rack to store wings above the fuselages in the trailer. Brought 24 moving blankets and not one two many. Brandon's and his father-in-law helped get it all packed and ready for the road trip back to Utah, after we spent some time looking at Johns STI. Because it has the 915 and they are still testing, they can not give passengers rides in it. So we asked John if he would fly it for us quick? It was awesome to watch it fly. Still working on the numbers and what it will do, lets just say its impressive! Now the fun begins in getting these things built! I like pictures better than words, so here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not to hijack this thread . . . . BUT . . . . I thought those mountains in the background looked familiar. I flew out of Nephi for a couple of weeks during two summers not long past and while there hooked into the strongest thermal I've ever enjoyed just over your back yard - timed at over 1600 fpm!! You live in great flying county and I'm jealous.

I know, no picture - it didn't happen. This was taken flying around the peak of Mt. Nebo.

Good luck on your build - I'm only a couple of months ahead of you but your teamwork plan should have you in front in not too long.

My apologies for the hijacking - I couldn't resist.

Anyone know how to get this to fit? This is on control column. My brother is to this part. I haven't read if there are tips but thought I would post it for him. We have been busy building and I will post pictures this weekend!
    Thanks

Dustin

I remember it being a huge pain. There should be a tip in the instructions about filing out the hole on one side so that you can put it in diagonally. It's still a huge pain, and I remember thinking it couldn't actually fit. I wish I remembered exactly how I made it work, but I definitely removed material from the hole on one side of the CC.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Follow the instructions in the manual - carefully. I forget what caused me a delay but when the day came I did went ahead and put the bearings in without reading the instructions for the umpteenth time - ahead of the control stick. I assure you that you shouldn't do that!! So, now I have a slightly modified assembly.

After reading, did what some others did and ground down the reamer to help get in some tight spots. Very helpful thanks!

Also went with others recommendations and used superfil. Since we are going to cover with oratex I bought some balsa off amazon. Other forum recommendations!

My son really wanted to buy a kitfox, but this is the best we could find. Tried to talk him out of spending his hard earned money, but this one did look fun!
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-07-2018 at 10:43 AM.