Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

I took factory advice and went with the T3 and A3200 tailwheel and not the Tundra Lite.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I just watched this video of that combination. Damn does that tail wheel take a beating. The terrain seems kinda typical for a backcountry spot, except big rocks every now and then. Im not sure how my steel spring could take that?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Wow, those are some loose tailwheel springs! He seems to to be able to get almost full rudder deflection without moving the tailwheel. I also noticed he brings the tail up, then hits the ground again with the wheel as he rotates. Sorry for getting off-track on this build log!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Getting ready to cover the fuselage. Autopilot servos are installed. Elevator is rigged. FYI for installing garmin autopilot, you need the autopilot install kit from kitfox, if you don't want to build a mount, and it does not include the servo extension arm that you need. Make sure to order that at the same time. I need to just anti tamper each bolt and then I am ready to cover. You oratex guys and tips for covering the fuselage? I "think" my plan of attack is to do the bottom, then left side, install static port, then right side. I plan on wrapping triangle windows when doing the sides. I will take any tips anyone had. Thanks!

Any pics of the AP install? I did order the kitfox mount, I don't care to recreate the wheel. I'll get the servo extension arm too.

Along these lines, I saw a comment in another thread about the initial clocking of the servos. How did you set that up?

Thanks and good luck on covering!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    Any pics of the AP install? I did order the kitfox mount, I don't care to recreate the wheel. I'll get the servo extension arm too.

Along these lines, I saw a comment in another thread about the initial clocking of the servos. How did you set that up?

Thanks and good luck on covering!!!

I was not too concerned about the aileron as things will change when final rigging and you can access it fine. The elevator I had already rigged it, I just needed to shift the length of a control tube toward the back tube. Hard to explain, but it makes sense once you install it. Basically I needed to shorten the forward control tube and lengthen the back tube so the servo did not bind.

You can see the aft control rod is lengthened and the front one is shorter. (I verified that I can still see thread in the hold of the rod end)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    … You oratex guys and tips for covering the fuselage? I "think" my plan of attack is to do the bottom, then left side, install static port, then right side. I plan on wrapping triangle windows when doing the sides. I will take any tips anyone had. Thanks!
    Sounds like a good plan to me. That’s how I did mine.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Anyone have pictures of the underside tail area with covering? Trying to figure out how to cover around tail wheel attachment plate? Do you go under it I assume? I guess I should re-read instructions again.....

Smile Re: Dual STI build log

Made some progress!!! Fuselage is completely cover on one plane, the other one needs the right side. (Tomorrow it will be done) A lot more work than we thought. Here is some pictures. Really liking the oratex. A few times I was not sure it was going to turn out. That stuff is kind of magic how much it shrinks and in the end looks good.

I am now working on the wingtips. Brandon from Kitfox arrived monday bringing gifts. We received our firewall forward kits and a some carbon fiber. Carbon tech Kitfox......oh yea!

While in the oratex mode we are going to cover the wingtip in oratex. Then once the wingtip is finished install the wingtip fence. We are also going to make a small wingtip replica and install them on the ends of the flaperons to match the wingtips.

Looks good Dustin! I like the Flaperon tip idea.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7