Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser CPS Parts EarthX Batteries
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

I like the longer stringer that ramps up the vertical stab. Where you trying to create an off-set that would reduce the need for a fixed trim tab? I'm rebuilding a model III and would like to eliminate any tacky add-on ... but the tail surfaces are all single plate on the III, so it would be tricky to make it streamlined instead of kinky. Anyone tried this fix?

Thanks for reading my thread and commenting!

No, tbh I wasn't trying to reduce the need for the trim tab at all. I will be adding a small fixed trim tab block on
    the lower side of the rudder that I saw on one of the builds. Small, simple and effective. I will fabricate some
    threaded inserts so I can experiment with the size of the block easier.

My build incorporates most of the series 7 mods. Larger elevator, longer motor mount and smooth cowl among
    many other minor changes. This tail transition offered a cleaner look and it ties the tail in better imho.
    I have read from previous build threads that the base of the tail was a bit tricky to cover. So I hope this helps, not
    aggravates that.
    For lack of a better term I'll call it the razorback mod, lol. Looks a lot better imho and is very light and strong.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Building: Model 5 Outback with 7 mods

BRRRRRR it's cold! 7 deg atm.

Not to anxious to work out in the non-heated shop today. But prior to the deep freeze, we were able
    to get the wings drilled and all our measurements remained constant, yay! Nerve racking to say the least.
    I'm glad That part is done! Now we need some warm weather to attach the chrome-moly reinforcements
    to the spars and set our butt rib and #1 rib in place. Thinking about the epoxy under 32 deg.
    I need to see 50+ deg for me to be comfortable with the glue.

Received an AE three stack relay board, Garmin G3X gap 26 pitot tube/tubing kit and GSA 28 connector kits.
    The relay will be for the "hat" switch for trim and a third for a spare.
    I'm still looking at nav/pos/strob wing lights, and wing mounted taxi/wigwag lights. Not sure which way to go.
    No night flying for me these days but I would like the plane to be night flight legal.
    Any Suggestions?

Working on the paint scheme was fun. It was nice to sit in the warmth of the fire and color away. Stumbled
    onto a distinct color scheme that I liked. I was going to plagiarize the Legend super cub scheme that I
    absolutely love but it irked me that I was going to copy another plane. Last thing I wanted to hear was there's
    the "little legend" or god forbid a "There's the "mini legend"... but only in his own own mind",
    no matter how true/untrue the statement was! lol.

Still playing around with some ideas. This one is a little busy but fun.
    My favorite colors from my favorite flag!

wing settup5.jpgparts delivery ac spruce.jpgresized americub.jpgpaint scheme.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Building: Model 5 Outback with 7 mods

That paint would be awesome.
    Eddie Forward
    Building
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X