Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

I added the tabs and I also added the razorback/antenna mount on my 5. Basically the aluminum angle that was the turtle deck original attachment point will be used to cover the new mounting tabs and the fabric will go over it. Really wasn't a whole lot of extra work if you don't mind welding a little. I don't know about just using hysol to hold tabs on. Maybe a bracket wrapped around the tubing and glued, but just gluing tabs to the tubing....not sure that would hold especially if you fly with the doors open.

turtle deck tabs.jpg

Jerrytex - Thanks for the pic. That helps a lot.
    Agreed on the tabs wrapping around for added strength if your just gluing with hysol. I'll be welding.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

My idea for the tabs was to make them like adel clamps, and then hysol in place. However, this would create a raised portion in the fabric unless you use something to level it across the whole length of the tube, or only do a partial clamp that does not wrap all the way around.

I'm likely going to weld them however, as I plan to install an antenna plate behind that same tube welded to the next diagonal cross-member which requires welding anyways. I may even see if Kitfox can throw in some of the factory tabs in my next order.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Team kitfox comes through again!

I found an older post on installing the Ring Mount dating back to 08-03 2012. Thanks to
    Jiott and Dave S for the Info. Search and you shall find all sorts of goodies.

Spent a good part of the day tackling the installation. The Rotax 912ul is a Zipper high torque 1484cc with cam from Hal Stockman and makes 110hp on 87 oct. The old motor mount could not be used so I ordered a Ring mount from Kitfox a few months back. It was a real PITA installing it, Arggg! Lucked out and did NOT have to modify my water pump coolant tubes. I did have to grind the powder-coat off the mount facing the engine a little at a time to get it on for a nice snug fit.
    To cold to cover or paint so moving on with other stuff. Wings, rudder, stab. and elevator are now removed.

Grandchildren stopped in for a visit so I deviously planted the flying bug in their young minds...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

One more thing about the 5 to supersport turtle deck change I forgot to mention earlier. Since you will be adding tabs and wrapping fabric around the fuselage tube, you can no longer use that tube to support the rear of your cargo bag. Gotta make a tube that can be installed right below it.

With the new kitfox, that piece comes with the cargo kit I believe. You can see this in tropicaltubas build log here.

600.jpg

Unfortunately cant just buy and use that piece on the 5 since our fuselage tubes are different in that area.

Just thought I'd mention this, as the ideal time to make this piece is pre-cover so you can use the fuselage to jig the pieces while you tack weld them.

Can anyone confirm this piece is just hysol-ed in place?

I will confirm that. Hysol.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks, I appreciate the info rcbif. I got all excited and placed the part on the plane and - oh gee, I have the 7 short turtle back. Lol. I never placed it on the plane before today.
    When I ordered it I just said I wanted the one piece turtleback and Kitfox knew I was building a Outback. I just assumed it was the full size 7 part.
    So looks like this part - #11153.201 short 7 - works with how the five is set up normally which makes sense if you want to upgrade. It is heavy at 7.1 lbs so if I swap it out for the larger one it will weigh more and I don't mind the crossmember (I think) at this time and who knows after I live with it for awhile? By then It will be to late to do any changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brett Butler

Well at-least it's one more part of your build that can be straight forward and less head-scratching.

I have bits and pieces for the aluminum deck that I will not use, and have not ordered the lexan one yet. My main reason for going with the longer deck is that with the stock 5 setup, a typical folding bike would have to be further disassembled to fit in back.

Random side note - I have both 5 and 7 build manuals, and the 7 manual I have incorrectly shows a 5 length shorter lexan turtle-deck. This made for some confusion as I was trying to figure out how the rear edge of the turtledeck terminates and where the fabric starts.

"Well at-least it's one more part of your build that can be straight forward and less head-scratching."

Agreed. Due to weight, I even considered building the original turtleback. But aesthetics won the day as I like the look of the tinted one piece TB a lot more and the bubble doors and windscreen uses the same light smoke tint. Very torn on getting the larger TB. Not crazy about that crossmember.
    I know someday loading up the 5 for a weekend I'll be thinking back on this moment...

When talking to Kitfox some months ago, I wanted the 7 manual as a cross reference and they were very clear with me not to confuse the 7 vs 5 manuals and build details saying there were enough differences as to only confuse a 1st time builder. Looking back I have to agree, so the only supplements I have is the firewall forward and bubble doors.

Brett Butler

You probably wont have much of an issue selling that turtle-deck here at the right price to someone looking to ditch their aluminum turtle deck if you decide to make the swap. It is sorta weird that such a significant fabric attach point gets riveted on when they could have used the existing tube, but I guess they didnt have another solution for the baggage hang point like they do on the 7 now.

And ya, there are some subtle differences in the manuals, and it's interesting comparing them. For example, the 5 manual has you rig dihedral off the rear spar, then adjust twist with the front strut bracket position. The 7 is opposite, and makes more sense I think. Base dihedral on the front, and adjust twist on the rear.