Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Just in time to start some spring adventures into some neat airstrips. Have fun Brett. Bruce N199CL

About 50 hrs. on this aircraft and a few squawks have shown up.
    One has been solved (fingers crossed) the other is still there, but a fix is on the way.

The first involved the primary alternator voltage regulator c/b popping during climb-out.

I have the B&C LR3D-14 coupled to the B&C L-40 alternator. Checked the installation and wire routing and when that turned up nothing unusual, I sent the regulator in for test & check. It tested fine, but on that call to B&C, I turned up a nugget of info. The tech told me that the regulator c/b popping has been known to happen when the field connector terminal on the alternator was making intermittent contact. The connector is a nylon "T" style with female spade type terminals. I squeezed them a bit smaller, reconnected it and the squawk is gone. After 10 hrs. of flying, I'm declaring it fixed!

Alternator close-up.jpg

The second one is still plaguing me, but a fix is in the works, and it involves the oil thermostat.

Usually on the first flight of the day, on climb-out, the oil temp starts to max out in the red. By about the time you catch it and throttle back it hits about 230deg, then it quickly comes back down to 160-180 and is usually fine after that but then after a complete cooldown it then repeats.
    Not the most confidence inspiring thing to happen!

I have the Perm-cool thermostat and it's supposed to activate between 180-190 deg.
    Oil Thermostat.jpg

I troubleshot the wiring and it all tested good. I had a new oil temp sender, so I replaced the old one just to eliminate one of the puzzle pieces. No joy. The thermostat is in "no man's land" behind the engine. Here in SW Missouri, the bigger problem is excessive heat, not cold so I'm going to bypass the thermostat on my next foray under the bonnet during the next oil change. It's a real pita to remove and replace it atm, I've decided to permanently leave it bypassed. Someday I'll remove it when it's practical to do so.

Other than that, it's been fair winds and following seas!

I was able to overcome my excessive fear of crosswinds and really tackled them head on by getting out there and practice, practice, practice!
    If I get to crossed up, get off centerline, or bounce, I go around and try again. Max crosswind component I have been in is 10-15mph gusting to 20. I prefer wheel landings almost all the time unless it's dead calm. You can usually find a time it in between the gusts to get her down safely.

You must respect the wind! (quote from my CFI)

While I prefer 5-10mph winds right down the runway or a quartering crosswind vs. a full 90 deg, you cannot fly in the mid-west and not have some sort of crosswind, especially in the afternoon. So, you just learn to deal with it and conquer the fear. More than a few times the upwind wing has started to lift on rollout and a quick reaction and application of flaperon takes care of it. Being quick and lively on the rudder goes without saying! I do not use any flaps in a crosswind.

IMG_2227.jpg

I'm going to Oshkosh this year if all in my world aligns properly. If that does happen, I hope to see you all there!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I had the exact same problem with another brand oil thermostat, took it off and have had no other temp problems. Water thermostat is all one needs for quick warm up. The warm water will warm the oil right up I have found.
    Glad you are getting it all lined out and some good flying in!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw