Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

It's resolution is 800 x 600. Made by Raayoo. Looks better in person. Lot's of install solutions for this little camera. For me, it looks fine for taxi purposes and the $18.49 price is hard to beat.
    I'm trying to mount the camera so it's out of the slipstream and I won't have to mess with the wiring when the cowl comes off. Vibration is an issue to deal with. Still experimenting!

Amazon.com: Reverse Backup Camera,RAAYOO L002 HD 170 Degree Wide View Angle Universal Car Front/Side/Rear View Camera,2 Installation Option,Removable Guildlines,Mirror Non-Mirror Image,12V only : Electronics

This 1080p camera on Amazon is $36.00. Might be a good choice if you need the higher resolution. Definitely a bigger footprint and more challenging to mount.
    For the STI crowd, it might be ok to just mount it under the fuselage as you guys don't mind the drag! I'll apologize ahead of time for this flagrant attempt at humor!

Amazon.com: GLK Backup Camera Rear View Camera AHD 1080P Night Vision Reverse Camera, Startlight Night Vision Wide Angle IP69 Waterproof CVBS-AHD Metal Housing for Car Truck RV Pickup : Electronics
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Jason - I did have two pairs carved. Both tips curved into the trailing edge. After they were glued in, I realized it was the old pair!
    Argg! Just my luck, the better pair was lost somewhere in the move to the new house...

It was one of those moments where you just sigh, shake your head and move on. They still look really good but could have been better.

Attachment 31837
    Thank you for posting this, I will likely follow suit on this. I am thinking going about using a 1/3 build up with a 2/3 taper inboard. Although I like the smooth contour that your flaperon tips feature.

I am unable to see the rivets you put in the trailing edge. Did you Superfil these?

Jason - I used flush al rivets and filled the imperfections with Evercoat filler. I used the Super fill on more substantial bodywork on the lift struts, tips and cabin joggles. Flaperons are very susceptible to dings and such. Look them over carefully. 1st coat of primer they'll stand out like a sore thumb. Lol!
    My rivet squeezer is this Knipex wrench. Very handy tool!

Web capture_19-3-2023_152447_duckduckgo.com.jpeg Web capture_19-3-2023_153623_www.amazon.com.jpeg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Due to a specific set of circumstances, I no longer have N66KF.
    Feb. On 27th 2023 I received a letter from the FAA stating my paperwork had to be redone as I no longer had N66KF! It now belonged to someone else. I looked up the N number and sure enough it was registered to someone else, and the date of change was also Feb. 27, 2023.
    Years ago, I would have had a serious melt down but these days, eh - it's just another day at the salt mine...

Complaining doesn't get you very far with any Gov. agency, and a quick search turned up that N46KF was available, so we secured it. Lucky me, I changed one 6 to a 4 and was done! Callie Graphics once again saved my bacon and had the replacements to me fast!
    I had that N number reserved for 2 years but due to my recent move and not paying attention to when it lapsed, caused the issue.
    Luckily, I didn't paint the N number on the plane, or I might have needed a defibrillator to get my heart started again!

IMG_1625.jpg

I've been working to permanently attach the flaperon hinges. I'm going to use a 5200-polyurethane sealant on the top hinges and on the pop-rivet heads to make them waterproof. Never know when you'll be caught out in the rain! I'll touch it up with the Aerothane Pontiac Red after the 7-day cure cycle.
    I cleco'd the hinges on and set the flaperons up and checked for proper operation. Had to adjust them several times to get them in line with factory specs. Very smooth and light in roll control. Real happy about that.

Upon inspection I was not thrilled with the paint on the bottom of the flaperons. The tops were very good - one side had a bit more debris in the paint but still very nice. But underneath was some overspray and orange peel. Tried something I never have done before. I used my flex polisher and starting with 1000 grit and water, sanded the bottom of the flaperons! Then I used 3000 grit and repeated. Then I used a Meguires polishing compound to finish. Took a full day to do both and the results were nice, not perfect but better than expected. I can live with that!

IMG_1614.jpg IMG_1612.jpg IMG_1619.jpg IMG_1638.jpg IMG_1633.jpg

I installed the stabilizer and elevator for the last time. Real glad I examined all the elevator bearings prior to install. Over the last few years, a lot of paint and dirt debris found its way into the bearings. Spent some time getting them all squared away. Pitch control was also smooth and easy.
    Prop. spinner and wingtips turned out nice as well!

IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1631.jpg IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1643.jpg IMG_1608.jpg

G11 Magnetometer came online and registered correctly and passed 2 of the three self-tests. Have to take it out to compass rose (outside the shop) to do the last test. ADHRS also passed its test, so no more big red X on the screen. G3x is looking good so far. Will have to wait until engine start to see if all of the sensors are wired correctly and reporting good data. Saved a ton of cash building my own harness and purchasing the G3x 3 years ago!

I was going to wire up a disconnect plug for the wing wiring, but my wing butt close-out will not accommodate a plug. Guess if the wings ever need to be removed, I'll have much bigger problems than a few cut wires! lol.

So that leaves the wingtips, windscreen, turtledeck to do. I'm leaving the wiring clean up and beautification for last, as I might have to troubleshoot a few things after the engine is online. List is getting shorter!

Called my friendly DAR who has just turned 95 years old! Neil says he's trying to retire, lol. So might get a lady DAR that works out of St Lous and Atlanta. She has a vacation cottage close by here on Tablerock lake or so he says. Setting it up for July/August time frame. We shall see if it happens in that time or not! lol.
    Last edited by bbs428; 03-23-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Brett Butler

Looked through the mail received yesterday and low and behold my registration was there! We are officially registered!

Even with the SNAFU - it was only 26 days to process!

Brett Butler

So is it true that you secretly walk out to your shop, step inside and say "DAMN that's a good looking plane!!!"? Man I would. Really nice work Brett.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

That thing is beautiful.

When I was reading that I thought you changed to 46KF and then got the mail that said 66KF was yours after all.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

It's so nice when everything works as advertised with no troubleshooting! All that engineering is paying off. Everything went together smoothly, heck even the paint lines matched up! Lol.

It's all switched on and off thru the GAD27 using discrete lo's. No relays. I commandeered the electric flap output circuit and now it serves for the strobe light. Used up the last of my Deutsch connectors. Handy and easy to use. (Thanks Gary)

Fun day!

IMG_1644.jpg IMG_1645.jpg IMG_1659.jpg IMG_1649.jpg IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1655.jpg IMG_1656.jpg

Brett Butler

You must have remembered some of that Tweet stuff from the Canoe Club my friend. You're so right about it being nice when stuff works like you thought it would. Think you're in the home stretch!!

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Ha-ha - I have forgotten so much Gary. The old adage - if you don't use it, you lose it is very true.

Good advice for anyone who attempts such an ambitious project is to:
    A. Do not **** off the wife!
    B. Be as tenacious as a honey badger. Do something to move you forward every day.
    C. When in doubt, refer to A.
    D. Losing interest or disillusioned? Refer to B.

Brett Butler