Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Yes it's on the round aluminum ground plane plate in the pic Eddie
    That is exactly what I did on my plane. I don't think I would leave it out, it is worth having a good ground plane. I have not had any problems with my autopilot kicking offline.

Xponder Ant.jpg
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My servos seem to be a lot closer to the antenna Phil... If I do move it, I'll keep the ground plane. Agreed it is good practice and makes for a good antenna mount.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I took that picture during my build, the autopilot wasn't installed yet. I just installed the servos this spring during my condition inspection. The aileron servo is in the exact same spot as yours.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

That is good news... Thanks for the input Phil.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

I had a source, maybe from one of Tony Bingellis' books that suggested that the metal tubing of the airframe is an adequate ground plane. I didn't install a ground plane anywhere on my plane and I have had zero issues. I just made sure the metal to metal contact was achieved. My pitch servo resides about 8" above that xpdr antenna and I have had no AP disconnects. I wonder if I had put in a ground plane, would I have been able to communicate further? I don't think I have had an occasion where I needed to reach someone and wasn't able due to distance.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

No cautions on the GSA-28 servo being to close to transmission sources but I did find this nugget of info in the GTX 45R install manual -

3.12.1 Transponder AntennaNOTEGround planes must be considered for installations on composite aircraft.
    Conductivewire mesh, radials, or thin aluminum sheets embedded in the composite material supplythe ground plane to maximize the antenna pattern (gain).
    This can improve transponderperformance.

Transponder antenna considerations help the installer to select the best location for the antenna.

Theantenna should:
    • Be attached away from major protrusions, such as engines, nacelles, propellers, and antenna masts.
    • Be as far as practical from landing gear doors, access doors, or other openings that could affect itsradiation pattern.
    • Be vertically attached on the bottom of the aircraft.

• Not be attached within three feet of the ADF sense antenna or any other communication antenna.
    • Not be attached within six feet of a DME antenna.

• Be attached to a minimum of three feet of cable from the GTX 35R/45R to prevent RFinterference.

My Antenna is within three feet of the transponder location so I'll relocate it to the other side which also solves the possible interference with the A/P servo's.
    You never know what you might learn when you RTFM!

Brett Butler

The location of the antenna and what’s around it affect its impedance and thus how much of the power is transmitted and how much is bounced back towards the transmitter. The closer you get the antenna’s impedance to that of the transmission line, the better.
    Last edited by dactel; 07-14-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

Thanks Terry, makes sense.

Brett Butler

I'm fighting the hot weather in my all metal shop to get the airframe painted before winter gets here. It's August in Missouri so that means 95+ deg. at 70+ % humidity or worse. Needless to say the plane will not build itself! Lol. So back to the salt mine... Good news is that I have lost 20 lbs. of lard and am well on my way to seeing 220lbs for the 1st time in 20 years! Goal is to be at 210-15 fully clothed when it's time to fly. I can dream - right?

So far it is turning out very nice but OMG the work involved is a killer! I plan on the heavier, more durable finish. I have 1/2 of a wing and the horizontal stab. left to do before I inflate the Chi-Com bouncy house paint booth. I can't wait! Lol.

Yes I'm sure I'll go looney tunes by the time this plane is flying - TO LATE!

**Be aware that a heat gun can ruin all your hard work if you use it incorrectly. Stits Poly-fiber manual warns NOT to use one due to it being impossible to get the temperature correct. You can blow a hole through your fabric if the wrong technique is used! I suggest making a 2x4 frame and practice if you have not covered before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by desertdave; 09-12-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Brett Butler

More covering pic's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brett Butler