Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Some pics of the rope harness that didn't get in the last post.

IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1298.jpg IMG_1262.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Brett - Is this your voltage regulator? How did you decide which side of the firewall to put it? Juss wonderin.

Merry Chistmas mate and hope for you and yours a great New Year.

G

Regulator.jpeg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Brett - Is this your voltage regulator? How did you decide which side of the firewall to put it? Juss wonderin.

Merry Chistmas mate and hope for you and yours a great New Year.

G

Regulator.jpeg
    Yup, that's the stock Ducati regulator. It's there on the inside of the firewall because it seemed like a good place as any.
    Figured the fan couldn't hurt as some say it runs hot. Being the backup, I'm not as concerned on placement. Don't think there's a perfect spot tbh.
    If it were my primary, I might have found a place under the cowl and how to get some good airflow on it.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Knee deep in alligators, or in this case G3x wiring. I have good days and not so good days understanding what's going on. Back in the day, I could clearly see how the circuits/wiring worked in my head. Now in my 60's, I have to work at it a lot harder by making capacious amounts of diagrams and notes. Not to mention lots of coffee and no beer till quitting time!
    Good news is that I understand all the moving parts and were making headway, albeit slowly. I sure hope the smoke stays in the LRU's when the power gets applied!

IMG_1382.jpg IMG_1384.jpg

Nylon zip ties are temporary. I like string ties. What a mess! Sausage making is not pretty halfway through.

Brett Butler

Brett, it never ceases to amaze me how many wires go in to our "simple little airplanes." Looks like you are doing a great job keeping it all organized though. Whenever I take the cowling off mine and look behind the panel it looks like I threw a pan of spaghetti back there and called it done. A daunting task to be sure but when you are done you will have a great airplane. Bruce N199CL

More wire sausage making. And a few odds and ends.

It's been cold and I have completed some tasks, others not so much. Working on my certification paperwork in the morning when it's just too cold to go out to the shop. I'll plug the EAA homebuilders "Step by Step Certification Guide." Excellent resource! I also attended an EAA webinar on the subject. Learned a lot of what I thought I knew, Lol.

So far only 2 calls to Garmin on some obscure details on sensors.
    Found out that snaking and securing the wire bundle under the center console is best for younger hands and backs! I have to do warm up exercises just to get to the places I need to! Spent a lot of time routing wire bundles, not liking the result and then redoing it all another way.

The GEA24 is the only LRU left to populate. Getting close to the "turn it on" for the 1st time part. Decided I needed water temp. so I got a VDO sender from a/c Spruce and installed it in the radiator. So now I have water/oil/head temperature and oil pressure. No EGT as I have carb's. I do have an AFR gauge so I can dial the carb's in and keep an eye on them.
    Installed the red tail com antenna and like it much better than just the bare whip style. Nice shot of the underbelly. You can see a few details.
    I used 3m hd. double-sided tape to affix the lower firewall to the fuselage aways back. Read about that in another build thread. Turned out nice. I used versatube 3003-0 as brake lines and they exit right under the center console faired with seaplane gromets. Turned out nice.

Notice the "high end" LP heating system, lol. So I just moved the plane into the paint booth. Keeps me warm at about 60 deg. The metal shop is just too expensive to heat. Ceiling is insulated but the walls are not.

IMG_1461.jpg IMG_1486.jpgIMG_1482.jpg

Have been doing a lot of research on my new 45amp alternator and how to wire things up so they don't smoke. I'll report all that when it's sorted and working. Lots of moving parts to figure out.
    The weather is turning warmer for a few weeks here in flyover country, so we'll have to make the most of it. No time to waste! Back to work!
    Last edited by bbs428; 02-04-2023 at 03:25 AM.

Brett Butler

Brett, the project is coming along nicely and your craftsmanship doesn't go unnoticed. I do like the clean look on how you did your brake lines , but i am a bit concerned that after many cycles the 3003
    aluminum may work harden to failure and spoil your day. Maybe some who is smarter than me can chime on the properties of the 3003 tube to say if this should be a concern. If you google this html
    there is a neat video on the grove gear drop tests . Bruce N199CL

https://groveaircraft.com/droptest.html#

Wow! that video an eye opener. I knew the landing gear flexed but that's crazy man! Thanks for posting Bruce, much appreciated.

Tbh - I don't know how many cycles the landing gear would have to flex to have a versatube fail.
    I guess it would depend... if I was retired Air Force, I would flare gently and grease every landing with minimum flex!
    But since I'm retired Navy there is no flare, I just aim for the numbers and bounce it on the deck with a thump and a screech!
    There's a bad joke in there but I'll refrain...

The lesson for all of us 1st time builders, just do it right the 1st time, follow the book and quit thinking your gonna do it better!

Brett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Brett, the project is coming along nicely and your craftsmanship doesn't go unnoticed. I do like the clean look on how you did your brake lines , but i am a bit concerned that after many cycles the 3003
    aluminum may work harden to failure and spoil your day. Maybe some who is smarter than me can chime on the properties of the 3003 tube to say if this should be a concern. If you google this html
    there is a neat video on the grove gear drop tests . Bruce N199CL

https://groveaircraft.com/droptest.html#
    It is a totally different kit but Vans will run the 3003 versatube all the way down the gear leg loop it around the gear leg a fill turn then connect it to the caliper. My C150 is plumbed with hardlines and C172s are also.

I recently watched a video by Homebuilt Help discussing replacement of nylon brake lines with hard lines although he suggested using a braided line where there would be movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Murphy View Post
    It is a totally different kit but Vans will run the 3003 versatube all the way down the gear leg loop it around the gear leg a fill turn then connect it to the caliper. My C150 is plumbed with hardlines and C172s are also.

I recently watched a video by Homebuilt Help discussing replacement of nylon brake lines with hard lines although he suggested using a braided line where there would be movement.
    Thanks for posting that Jason,

I ordered some 3/16 NSR nylon tubing from a/c Spruce and might redo some of the high flex areas. I use ss braided line from the lg to the wheel.
    All my original tubing has mysteriously disappeared into the void. Being mfg. from 1998, it's better gone. Although I did find all the brass 3/16 SAE fittings!

NYLON TUBING 33NSR 3/16 BLACK | Aircraft Spruce

Brett Butler