Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Really glad you're safe, brother. Hope it's not an expensive repair!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I'm pretty sure Leading edge air foils used to rent out rotax tools. I don't know now that they sold out but I would think they still would.

Glad you got it down ok. Those hills with trees are worst to fly over than water to me. Haha
    Thats good to know. If I need to, I'll get in touch with them after the holidays.

Thanks man!
    Yeah, it was a "Stone the crow's" moment.
    The vibration felt like I slipped a quarter into the vibro-bed, but training kicked in quick, so I just flew the plane...
    was really hoping it wouldn't be into the tops of the trees and "News at 6...Local pilot goes for his own wild ride in Branson!"
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Really glad you're safe, brother. Hope it's not an expensive repair!
    Thanks, I appreciate that! Agreed, but It's all expensive, lol.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Update:

Was able to tear down the gearbox and look around. The thrust washer was gone (plastic in the oil tank) and the 29-tooth little drive gear next to the washer was galled up a bit. Everything else looked brand new.

Talked to Hal Stockman and he explained that when that plastic washer disintegrates or breaks up, the pre-load on the dogears (which is critical) drops and they start hammering on each other, hence the vibration. He has a fix that replaces that washer with one that is not plastic.
    I love being Experimental!!
    He made me an offer to look it all over, fix what was needed plus put in an oil sprayer that will extend the service life of the gearbox for a great price that I could not refuse, so I'm sending it to him tomorrow.
    Hal is the best!

Not sure if it will be back in time to put some hours on it and go to Oshkosh. If not, there's always next year!

IMG_2717[1].jpg IMG_2718[1].jpg

Brett Butler

That's awesome Brett. Kind of what you expected and now you'll be better than new. Glad that beautiful plane of yours is going to still be providing you all that fun. Even if you don't make Oshkosh it will be done right for sure.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Disregard, Looks like you have already talked to Hal