Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

That's looking great, Brett !
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Covering is laborious to say the least so I took some time to look over the wings, do some final sanding and check
    the fuel tanks for leaks. Filled the tanks with fuel then filled up the latex pressurization devise with human CO2 to simulate
    positive pressure in the tank under flying conditions. Lol - No leaks. Yay!

Found a few rough spots that would have shown thru the covering so those were sanded smooth. Still thinking of adding a USB
    charger port by each lift strut but IDK, I'm not looking at becoming the next U-tube sensation. I Just wanna have some fun with
    like minded Kitfox drivers.
    Any thoughts on USB ports or anything else before it's all covered? Please post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Lot's has been done over the past few months!

Thought I'd get the GA-35 WAAS, GPU-11, Sirius XM, and the TED TXPDR antennas done before covering is completed. Made a ground plane for the TED antenna. Was unsure if it was needed so did it anyway. Installed the skybolt fasteners for the full piece acrylic turtledeck. These are the ones with the bailing wire that folds down. Very nice! I installed dual 3amp usb ports by the wing lift struts on both sides. Faired in the lift strut closeouts with superfil.

Started to label all wires with my new Dymo label maker. Used clear heat shrink on each wire. Very handy! Thanks to one of our fellow builders for that tip! This is why you DON'T want to label with masking tape: Found one of my masking tape info labels gone off the ELT wires I did last year. Oh boy, here we go... So had to open the backshell on the unit to figure out the deal and what did I find? Two wires that came undone from the solder cups! Wth? Cold solder joint, so Re-soldered all the wires using my new, more powerful soldering iron. Nice to find that now vs later.

Rudder and elevator are done with one coat of poly-brush. Bottom and port side of fuselage is covered and shrunk to 250deg. Starting on starboard side today, then Vertical stabilizer, horizontal stabilizer and then wings. Went over the wings again feeling with my hand everything that will contact the fabric. Found numerous rough spots! Sanded and feathered the ribs till smooth one more time, lol. Went over all the other surfaces as well and fixed them as well. Amazing what your sense of touch can pick up!

Received my inflatable paint booth. It will fit inside my shop (barely) when inflated. If bad weather hits it won't blow into Kansas! Lol. I'll have to make some interior supports so I can turn off the fans when not in use. All I need is an environmental suit. I have two vehicles to paint as well so it will be worth the extra expense. I'll resell it all to another builder when done.
    Hot as hell here in the Midwest and the shop is 90+deg. Working mostly in the morning till I can't take it anymore.
    All the best to all our builders and flyers out there. Fly safe!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Great build thread. I'm working the kit that was owned by user rcbif from earlier in this thread.

Like you, I'm having some issues figuring out what I have/don't have and what's screwed up and needs doing over. I make it a little ways and then find out what I need to order. Then I mill around waiting for the UPS guy.

Still happy with my purchase. It's not going to be my last plane build so I'm not shooting for museum piece.

Anyway, great seeing what another 5/7 builder has gone through. I reserved N527KF since N57KF was taken. Unlikely anyone will notice but that's okay.

One idea... it is very likely you will want to put the transponder where your GA35 vertical mounting plate is. I put a vertical plate there with my 45R and safety trim. Just an idea.

Looking good! Only suggestion I have is to move your transponder antenna. I was told its best to have it as far away as possible from everything because they are very noisy. I had read in a past thread that someone was actually having it trip off the autopilot. May want to consult garmin if you have not already? Not saying it wont work there but, may want to double check before paint? Maybe others can chime in that ran it there with similar setup as you?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Assuming Im seeing the round ground plane there where your xpdr antenna is? I mounted my xpdr antenna there and I have had no problems.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks for the heads up on the transponder ant. Now's the time to relocate. I remember now reading about the autopilot kicking off do to the transponder ant. location being to close. Bugger!

As of now the GTX45R will be behind pilot seat. GPS 20A might be there as well or on the side plate of the GA-35 ant mounting bracket. All subject to change as I do not have them yet and necessity/function will dictate where they end up!

I really appreciate you guys posting your thoughts on all this. I know you all have thought about this yourselves ad nauseum. Thanks!!

Brett Butler

Yes it's on the round aluminum ground plane plate in the pic Eddie

Brett Butler

Some have opted not to use a ground plane. Could this shield the servo's from a majority of the noise generated? Need to research some more.

Brett Butler