Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

One thing I don't like about my one-piece lexan turtle deck, SS7, is that it rattles and buzzes on the ground at idle and taxi. It is not too terrible but is kind of annoying. In flight it is fine. If I find the time I will try an aluminum angle stiffener placed crosswise in the middle. Anyone else addressed this issue successfully?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Is the noise from the flat faces hitting a resonance, or the edges buzzing? If its the edges, maybe some edge trim on the lexan, or strategic pads on the fuselage would help?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/edge-trim

If it's a resonance on a face, Maybe you can use some of the 3M acrlic door tape, or VHB tape to secure a poly carbonate angle first to see if that works. May as well try to keep it clear if you can.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/1755k62
    or
    https://www.mcmaster.com/3161t21
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    One thing I don't like about my one-piece lexan turtle deck, SS7, is that it rattles and buzzes on the ground at idle and taxi. It is not too terrible but is kind of annoying. In flight it is fine. If I find the time I will try an aluminum angle stiffener placed crosswise in the middle. Anyone else addressed this issue successfully?
    Jim,
    As you know, I modified mine with the hinge for more convenient access to the cargo bay and in doing so I added extruded aluminum angles at the hinge attach line for stiffness. I have no discernible "rattle or buzz". I think a stiffener would work just fine for you... some guys were doing that (maybe the factory even - on request?) well before I did the hinge thing. And as far as the hinge goes, there are others who did that before I did also... maybe not the exact same way, but still the same concept. I think that 1/2" or 3/4", 0.063" angle would be sufficient.

I see absolutely no reason to worry about keeping it clear - you don't normally even notice it back there, and in my opinion it certainly doesn't obstruct the view (such as it is) in any important way.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I put a strip of 1" wide foam under the aft edge of my one piece plexiglass turtle deck. I have never had a buzz or rattling. I think mine is 1/8" thick.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I assume I'm hearing the same rattling as you are Jim. Most noticable when I'm on grass and the plane is rocking more. But so far I'm just living with it. Like you say, its quiet in the air.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Started working the cowl install and it's going ok so far. Question on the spinner to cowl gap. I'm at .25 gap. Seems a bit much. Worried that if I try to get any tighter It will bite me down the road. Any thoughts??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks for the comments on stiffening the turtle deck. I do have a strip of thick Teflon tape under the rear edge. The reason I think its the big flat surface that is vibrating is that I can stick my hand back there and support the lexan when it is buzzing and the buzzing stops.

bbs428, I wouldn't try to get too tight with the spinner to cowl gap because the tighter that gap is, the more difficult it makes taking the lower cowl on and off. It can be somewhat difficult at best.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I wouldn't go any tighter than 1/4". The engine will move during operation and sag as the engine mounts age.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

"I wouldn't go any tighter than 1/4". The engine will move during operation and sag as the engine mounts age."

Thank you! Agreed on the sag.

The book says
    1/8 - 3/8. All I had to do was look ahead a few pages! Good grief!

Plane drew blood today...one of many droplets given in this build.

Cannot say enough how this forum has helped me. I have searched through the past builds of the cowl installs done and mine is no exception. Nothing lines up and I'll have to do a lot of massaging in order to get something that looks respectable.

Onward and upward!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

The weather has NOT been cooperating lately but when does it in late November/December in the mid-west?
    I have made some progress despite this and family holiday obligations.
    The Cowl slipped a bit and turned out a bit lower than I wanted but I adjusted it and re-drilled the holes and all is good. Was a lot of work to get it where it is! Replaced the two fiberglass tabs with aluminum ones and placed two more on the upper cowl ahead of the most forward camloc as far forward as possible. Used flush style 1/8th ss pop rivets and Aeropoxy to attach them. Worked out nice.

1st pic is where it was when I started. Pencil lines in the last pic is how I mark for more material to be removed sanding along the edge. Used 1/4 inch wood spacers superglued to the front of the cowl to help for spacing. Clear packing tape holds everything together as I drilled. Still have to do the final bodywork. Wish the cowl was better finished as it will be a PITA to get it acceptable for paint.

I am so slow. Lol. I keep thinking I'll pick up the pace but it never seems to work out.

Brett Butler