Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

I like the longer stringer that ramps up the vertical stab. Where you trying to create an off-set that would reduce the need for a fixed trim tab? I'm rebuilding a model III and would like to eliminate any tacky add-on ... but the tail surfaces are all single plate on the III, so it would be tricky to make it streamlined instead of kinky. Anyone tried this fix?

Thanks for reading my thread and commenting!

No, tbh I wasn't trying to reduce the need for the trim tab at all. I will be adding a small fixed trim tab block on
    the lower side of the rudder that I saw on one of the builds. Small, simple and effective. I will fabricate some
    threaded inserts so I can experiment with the size of the block easier.

My build incorporates most of the series 7 mods. Larger elevator, longer motor mount and smooth cowl among
    many other minor changes. This tail transition offered a cleaner look and it ties the tail in better imho.
    I have read from previous build threads that the base of the tail was a bit tricky to cover. So I hope this helps, not
    aggravates that.
    For lack of a better term I'll call it the razorback mod, lol. Looks a lot better imho and is very light and strong.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

BRRRRRR it's cold! 7 deg atm.

Not to anxious to work out in the non-heated shop today. But prior to the deep freeze, we were able
    to get the wings drilled and all our measurements remained constant, yay! Nerve racking to say the least.
    I'm glad That part is done! Now we need some warm weather to attach the chrome-moly reinforcements
    to the spars and set our butt rib and #1 rib in place. Thinking about the epoxy under 32 deg.
    I need to see 50+ deg for me to be comfortable with the glue.

Received an AE three stack relay board, Garmin G3X gap 26 pitot tube/tubing kit and GSA 28 connector kits.
    The relay will be for the "hat" switch for trim and a third for a spare.
    I'm still looking at nav/pos/strob wing lights, and wing mounted taxi/wigwag lights. Not sure which way to go.
    No night flying for me these days but I would like the plane to be night flight legal.
    Any Suggestions?

Working on the paint scheme was fun. It was nice to sit in the warmth of the fire and color away. Stumbled
    onto a distinct color scheme that I liked. I was going to plagiarize the Legend super cub scheme that I
    absolutely love but it irked me that I was going to copy another plane. Last thing I wanted to hear was there's
    the "little legend" or god forbid a "There's the "mini legend"... but only in his own own mind",
    no matter how true/untrue the statement was! lol.

Still playing around with some ideas. This one is a little busy but fun.
    My favorite colors from my favorite flag!

wing settup5.jpgparts delivery ac spruce.jpgresized americub.jpgpaint scheme.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

That paint would be awesome.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

With Oshkosh behind me I'm back in the shop working. Long hiatus with a bathroom remodel and some leaky water pipes but that's all done. Thank goodness!

Nice to finally meet a lot of you at Airventure. I hope to see you all again soon but this time flying my own!!

Landing gear is on order from Grove. Wing tip landing lights on the way. Got a great deal on my Pulsar AeroLEDs Nav/Pos/Strobe lights and paint from Wicks also at Airventure.

The GMU-11 is temp. mounted. Re-attached the butt ribs .040 higher than the wing. The reinforcement strips for the windscreen attachment to the outside. Got it wrong on the first try!
    Fitted the wing tip reinforcing strips. Wing butts are done until final paint. Used 1/8th balsa sheet to do the close-outs. Fuel placards came out nice. False ribs are in and varnished.

Leading edge cuffs are done and top wing ribs a filled in and smoothed.

The AOA probe is a Gap-26 from Garmin. Fabricated the base and two port attachments from lite ply and scrap aluminum.

One of our members gave me this gem - Carbon fiber reinforcement rods are practice arrows. Cheaper to cut them up than to order pure carbon rod. Two bays per arrow. They are insurance that the trailing edge does not get pull
    ed in during fabric shrinking when covering the wing. Thank you!
    Doors and wingtips are ready to massaged into place.
    Question - How does that top door trim panel under the wing get trimmed out onto the tabs? I can't seem to find a pic that spells it out for me.

I hope to be fabricating the flaperon system next week.

20190822_213736.jpg20190822_213801.jpg20190822_212940.jpg20190820_170243.jpg
    20190818_123014.jpg20190822_213033.jpg

Brett Butler

Working a lot but progress is slow. Cain't help myself but to do simple tasks over and over till I'm satisfied. Argg.

The wing butt closeouts have been front and center. Knowing it will be easily noticed by me and others for the rest of
    it's life, I'm trying to make it all look as good as I can.

I decided to use #6 truss head screws and some original fuel placard screws to have the butt ribs removable if needed.
    Spent way to much time getting it all squared away but it's done. I might get some small bolts for the door hinge tab
    but as it is, it's solid.

Had to do some final bubble door trimming and enlargement/massage of the holes. I initially drilled the doors last winter.
    Well it's 90 deg. in the shop and the holes were off by a skosh. By gosh the door does grow when warm! Go figure...
    Used my 6 inch cut off wheel to give the doors the needed clearance. Used my dremel and a small fine diamond abrasive
    bit to enlarge the holes. Did not use any acrylic drill bits during the fabrication. To risky imho.

My 1994 build book had me cut my tail excess panel at the bottom and the top is binding. Noticed at Oshkosh that all the
    planes had the cut at the top... I see why now. I have to shrink the metal a bit around the green dot to get it to conform
    properly or remake the panel. And so it goes...

butt rib close out1.jpgBubble door.jpgBubble door1.jpgtail access panel.jpg

Anyways Its time to move on from this exercise to another. Wing tips and flaperons are next. Then engine, avionics, wiring,
    cowl, windscreen and turtle back. I figure I'll get it all put together within reason, work out the bugs, disassemble, cover
    and paint. Sounds all good but who knows how it will all come together.
    One bite at a time... Lol.

Brett Butler

Wrapping up the wings. Finished the false spars underside of the fuel tanks. Carved a set of flaperon tips from balsa block. Not so good, modified that set, now just fugly looking. Got it right on the second try. Happy with them now.

Flaperons needed to be cleaned of mud dauber and spider nests inside the spar. Scoped the spar (camera on the end of a flexible wand) and it looked fine. One rivet on the trailing edge gave me some trouble but other than that, it was all textbook. Old style flaperon hinges were a pita but turned out nice. Square brackets are for the wingtip taxi/wigwag lights.
    Hinges on the flaperons had to be polished and lubricated before they worked properly. For once all my measurements came out spot on! Wth!
    Removed the wings and installed the false ribs under the fuel tanks and lift strut close outs. One of our members did his like this and it came out nice. I taped them flush and backfilled around it with epoxy. Thanks to you whoever you are!

Received the Grove landing gear, Beringer main/tail wheels, brakes. Still waiting on the Desser 8.50x6x4 tundra tires. When its back on it's feet it will be time to move the fuselage into the heated garage. I'll be working on the firewall, engine mounting, cowl fabricating/fitment. Avionics have been 90% identified. 100% Garmin G3X. Just finalizing the last few components before buying. I'll do the best I can to document the wiring harness build, good and bad. I'll be placing LRU's around in different locations to see how the wires will work out and come up with plan of attack. Finally - something I know how to do... at least I used to know. lol!

I think I'm still going to get it all done, everything installed and running. Sort it out, then cover and paint. We shall see how it all sorts out! Exciting right? You bet!

Attached Images Attached Images

Brett Butler

Looking good Brett, you are making nice progress and yes the more it starts looking like an airplane the more exciting it gets. Trust me your journey will be worth it. Finished my Series 5 in 2003 and I still look forward to every flight. We just got blasted with snow yesterday so I'm grounded till it melts next week , still a bit too early for the skis. Bruce N199CL

Looking good.
    Are you upgrading to the super sport turtle deck as well? It is longer than the model 5 deck, and requires 3x new mounting tabs be added, but makes your cargo area opening beneath the turtle deck considerably larger since it eliminates an aluminum cross-member the 5 uses that blocks a good portion of the opening. Also affects where the fabric gets attached, so something to consider before covering if you haven't. I haven't yet decided if I will weld the 3x tab onto my frame, or make some brackets to hysol on.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

"Are you upgrading to the super sport turtle deck as well? It is longer than the model 5 deck, and requires 3x new mounting tabs be added, but makes your cargo area opening beneath the turtle deck considerably larger since it eliminates an aluminum cross-member the 5 uses that blocks a good portion of the opening. Also affects where the fabric gets attached, so something to consider before covering if you haven't. I haven't yet decided if I will weld the 3x tab onto my frame, or make some brackets to hysol on."

Thanks for asking rcbif - Yes I have the newer SS turtle deck and was unaware of the extra tabs so thanks for the heads up.
    I figured something would have to be fabricated for attachments. I have some sheet chrome moly to make them. Hysol tabs would work. It's not critical load bearing structure so no worries there.
    Haven't looked at the way fabric will be effected around the new turtle deck. Hmmmm? Thanks again - Dang it - looks like there is a bit more to do, as usual. lol.

Arlina - Appreciate your encouragement. I know SOMEDAY I'll be flying - lol.

A builder sacrifices his/her time, sweat and hard earned capital to create something from a pile of parts for something we may or may not fully understand at the moment. We just forge ahead and dream of the day we lift off into the sky where we belong...

Brett Butler