Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

Some details on the wingtip light mount for Jason. It was a real pita getting it all to work. Third pic is upside down. Light is angled down.

IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0543.jpg Wing tip taxi light1 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg Wing tip taxi light2 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Some details on the wingtip light mount for Jason. It was a real pita getting it all to work. Third pic is upside down. Light is angled down.

IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0543.jpg Wing tip taxi light1 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg Wing tip taxi light2 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg
    Thank You! I will need to be doing this in the near future. I just fitted the aluminum strips to the outboard edge of rib 10. Was it difficult getting the curve right on the lexan? I was thinking about getting a sheet and trying to lie it over the top of the unmodified wingtip and applying heat to see if it would take the shape of the wingtip

As for the Lexan lens, I did use a little heat to help it conform to the shape of the wingtip. Luckily it is pretty flexible. Be careful, too much heat and you'll be redoing it all again!

I used flush rivets on the 4 mounting tabs. Used some good quality body filler over the rivets and sanded smooth. The oversize tabs made it easier to position the mount where it needed to be and to fasten it. It conformed to the complex shape well.
    Around where the light attaches, I doubled up the aluminum and fastened with aluminum pop rivets to give some strength. It turned out light and strong.
    Dipped it all in Alodine before riveting it all together.
    Heads up on the wingtip leading edge - when you attach it, you'll have to compress it some to mount it to the wing which stresses the leading-edge joint I experienced some cracking. Also, I had to reinforce the thin area between the light and the wing with aluminum and epoxy. I used 3m 5200 polyurethane sealant on the outside in the cracks as it met all the requirements, and I had it on hand. Any good outdoor sealant would work.
    I'll get some pics of the completed wingtip soon with the AeroLed Nav/pos and wingtip light installed soon.

You will be amazed at how much time you'll have in the wingtips when you're done. A metaphor on the entire Kitfox build!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

As to the rotisserie Jason, I used two chi-com moving dollies, some leftover wood and some pvc pipe. Cheap and it worked well. Other can chime in on their mousetraps!
    A couple of extra high sawhorses came in handy as well.

20200922_170450 (2020_09_30 23_33_18 UTC).jpg 20190221_173249 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg

Brett Butler

[QUOTE=

You will be amazed at how much time you'll have in the wingtips when you're done. A metaphor on the entire Kitfox build![/QUOTE]

This is a very true statement. I was always amazed when starting any small section of the build that my time est to do the job was always to low. Haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    This is a very true statement. I was always amazed when starting any small section of the build that my time est to do the job was always to low. Haha
    That’s the truth! I think I have about 12 to 16 hours just putting the aluminum strips on the outside of rib no 10. 2/3 of that time was getting rid of a big gnarley bead of hysol the wing shop put on there.

I distinctly remember someone telling me one time “Fits like a Kitfox part.”

As to the rotisserie Jason, I used two chi-com moving dollies, some leftover wood and some pvc pipe. Cheap and it worked well. Other can chime in on their mousetraps!
    A couple of extra high sawhorses came in handy as well.

20200922_170450 (2020_09_30 23_33_18 UTC).jpg 20190221_173249 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg
    Any trouble with having the “Y” centered.

I read a post from Larry Wenning where he used an engine stand and propped the other end on a tall sawhorse.

I think my plan today will be to try and replicate that setup. I was given an engine stand (actually 3 of them). 1 is stock from Harbor Freight the other two are welding projects.

what I was thinking was to offset the arms of the Y where the wing would rotate on the center of the cord length. That would help with clearance issues I may have with the engine stand. Then add some 2x4s to my wing jig to make an “H” for the other end to rotate around. Similar to your high saw horses

We used a similar set up as Brett. The wing could be fixed in place in four different orientations. Super simple and lightweight.
    IMG_0397.jpg
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Power up went well. Updated the system and database. 16g memory cards were the largest recommended. Garmin suggested to use 2, one for updates and one for the database - maps and charts.

IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1529.jpg Web capture_20-2-2023_214642_.jpg

All was not perfect in Mudville my friends. As I was testing my hat switch, I realized I had no down trim! Yikes! I powered up in configuration mode and verified the hat switches were indeed working correctly. A quick continuity check from the GAD27 to the TCW booster verified all was good there. Hmmm? Decided to give a call in to the Garmin tech support and that was disappointing. To be fair I've called at other times and have received excellent help.
    Deciding to take matters into my own hands, I decided to check for shorts as well and lo and behold, pin 14 at the pitch trim servo was indeed shorted! Now were getting somewhere!

I disconnected the connector at the servo and the short went away! Or so I thought. Connector checked good so I went to pin 13 and 14 in the servo itself and pin 14 was shorted! Wth? Started to sweat a bit, envisioning a 650.00-dollar test and check bill from Garmin, (I bought my G3x over 2 years ago so i'm out of warranty), I took the servo out and looked it over carefully. The retaining nuts for the connector were loose! Really? How'd that happen? The connector receptacle was moving in when pressed and every time it was pressed, it shorted pin 14!

Holy Toledo!

Tightened up the nuts and wala - no more short! Powered it all up and now the pitch trim works in both directions!

Happy days!

Brett Butler

Wrapping up the wings. Finished the false spars underside of the fuel tanks. Carved a set of flaperon tips from balsa block. Not so good, modified that set, now just fugly looking. Got it right on the second try. Happy with them now.

Flaperons needed to be cleaned of mud dauber and spider nests inside the spar. Scoped the spar (camera on the end of a flexible wand) and it looked fine. One rivet on the trailing edge gave me some trouble but other than that, it was all textbook. Old style flaperon hinges were a pita but turned out nice. Square brackets are for the wingtip taxi/wigwag lights.
    Hinges on the flaperons had to be polished and lubricated before they worked properly. For once all my measurements came out spot on! Wth!
    Removed the wings and installed the false ribs under the fuel tanks and lift strut close outs. One of our members did his like this and it came out nice. I taped them flush and backfilled around it with epoxy. Thanks to you whoever you are!

Received the Grove landing gear, Beringer main/tail wheels, brakes. Still waiting on the Desser 8.50x6x4 tundra tires. When its back on it's feet it will be time to move the fuselage into the heated garage. I'll be working on the firewall, engine mounting, cowl fabricating/fitment. Avionics have been 90% identified. 100% Garmin G3X. Just finalizing the last few components before buying. I'll do the best I can to document the wiring harness build, good and bad. I'll be placing LRU's around in different locations to see how the wires will work out and come up with plan of attack. Finally - something I know how to do... at least I used to know. lol!

I think I'm still going to get it all done, everything installed and running. Sort it out, then cover and paint. We shall see how it all sorts out! Exciting right? You bet!

I really liked your idea of making the flaperon tips match the wingtips

did you end up taking this all the way to the back of the trailing edge?
    Attached Images Attached Images