Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: bbs428 Build

Default Re: bbs428 Build

You got me interested in researching antennas. My RV-6 antenna is on the bottom and performs very well. Here is the antenna I think I am going to use on the bottom of my Kitfox5. It is only 10" high so will fit very well from the baggage area forward. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...na11-13829.php

The comm antenna in my VT and it is working great!! Even driving it with what I believe to be the world's least expensive radio; I'm picking up pilots doing pattern work over 70 miles away. I don't have a picture of how I completed cable routing: the rough install for a ground test picture is here:
    Antenna in test.jpg

I did give some consideration to access but I opted for a risk mitigation approach - used high quality connectors and the most expensive cable known to man (sans NASA purchases) and the fact that I've never had a connection go bad. If something in this style of installation goes bad I'm pretty much in for installing the replacement 1/4 wave behind the turtle deck with the attending weight penalty.

Installation was to cut minor recesses in the ribs:
    Antenna rough instal.jpg

I attempted to keep it securely in place but away from the metal frame as well as restrictions permit:
    Comm antenna top end completed.jpg

And tested to make sure I could get the HT in and out without damaging the antenna:

Step 1 antenna positioning.jpg

Retention at the bottom end, after the HT goes in, is via a tie off to an installed tab:
    Comm antenna bottom end retainer rough.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RV6flyer View Post
    You got me interested in researching antennas. My RV-6 antenna is on the bottom and performs very well. Here is the antenna I think I am going to use on the bottom of my Kitfox5. It is only 10" high so will fit very well from the baggage area forward. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...na11-13829.php
    Roger that. Nice price as well. Appreciate the the feedback & heads up!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

"The comm antenna in my VT and it is working great!! Even driving it with what I believe to be the world's least expensive radio; I'm picking up pilots doing pattern work over 70 miles away."

Wow! Looks a lot bigger than the pic at the AC spruce site. That is a nice install.

Figures no matter how much research you do, you miss something. Sure would have liked to have stumbled over this nugget a few months back. Not the end of the world if it's a total fail. It can all be fixed, just have to throw more time and $$ at it.

The 2nd plane I build should be perfect... "
    cough"

Appreciate you posting DW.
    Last edited by bbs428; 12-16-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

I'm pretty sure the one on the ACS site is either of a version for a transponder - or the picture was just cut off. The two are of the same format, just tuned to different frequencies. (See http://www.advancedaircraft.com/)

Attention!

The Mrs. has decided we have to move to a new home. Not real happy about all this but as my wife says - "It's not all about you and that airplane."
    It is a much nicer home tbh and I am a team player.

The quote "Ours not to reason why, ours but to do or die" comes to mind...

So this project will be on the back burner for the next 3-5 months.
    Did I mention that I have to finish remodeling a bathroom to get this home on the market.

That is all.
    Last edited by bbs428; 01-28-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Brett Butler

Disclaimer!

The Mrs is a wonderful person whom I would never complain about. I wouldn't even have a plane without her!

Brett Butler

Wise man. Happy wife, happy life.

The remodel and move went as expected. Sucked the life out of me but the Mrs. is happy.

I relocated the Comm antenna to under the fuselage, forward of the landing gear. It's an AV-534 quarterwave antenna from Spruce. Hopefully all will be fine there.

I removed most of the access panel rings under the wings. Agreed that it was overkill to have that many. Was a pain to build up the surface for paint after removal but the Poly-fiber process made it somewhat easy to do. Lucky the wing was in UV grey and no topcoat paint.
    IMG_0580.jpg

Finishing the filling and painting on the lift struts and wheel pants. This is the last of the painting. It's taken all year to slug through the learning curve and get a good result. The weather window is closing rapidly here in the Midwest. 60 deg. weather is coming next week and is really nice for the Aero-thane, plus you don't sweat as much in your environmental suit!
    IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg

I'll be working on the windscreen, engine wiring/plumbing and the G3X wiring this winter. Really paid off having all the Garmin LRU's paid for before the covid fiasco and price increases.
    IMG_1086.jpg

My mission will be mostly municipal/county airports so the treaded training tires and the wheel pants will be a good thing. The smooth 8.50x22's will be for the off-airport stuff later as my time/experience increases. Gastons and others like it would be ok for the little tires and not to challenging.
    Here's a shameless plug for Gastons Resort:

At Gaston’s, we offer our own Bermuda grass airstrip. It’s open to everyone, not just guests staying in our cottages. Feel free to fly in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner any day of the week, or on Sunday for our famous Sunday brunch.

Latitude 36 20’55’N | Longitude 92 33′ 25’W | Gaston’s Runway 06/24
    Turf Surface -3,200 feet long | Field Elevation is 479 msl | Unicom 122.8
    Kansas City Chart | 3M0 | Airport Identifier
    No Tie-Down Fees | 100LL Fuel Available

gaston-aerial.jpg

Brett Butler

Enjoying my new shop. It's got a lot more room and 3 large garage doors vs one slider. The paint booth fits well inside and during the winter months and it's easier to heat the smaller space to continue working.
    IMG_0145.jpgIMG_0168.jpg
    Raining today so I'm organizing and cleaning the shop. I've been working on the lift struts. Big pita with all the cuts and fill.
    Balsa, super fil and lots of sanding is doing the job.
    IMG_1189.jpg
    Propeller spacer has been milled down 5mm to accommodate the alternator pulley. So, all that's back together again.
    IMG_1112.jpgIMG_1110.jpg
    I put together a wire harness board on the floor. In the lumber pile I found two 3/4", 4'x4' sheets of plywood and a 1"x4" to connect them. Measured out all the LRU's and will start to rough in the harness soon. It will be a lot easier to build the connectors and test the harness outside the plane. I've been to every wire/connector repair school that navy had back in the day. Hope I can recall my skills! lol. Looking forward to this part!
    IMG_1177.jpg

Time for guests to arrive, so time to put all this stuff up for a bit. Hope everyone here has a blessed Thanksgiving!

Brett Butler