Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Esser's Model 6 Repair

Default Esser's Model 6 Repair

Apparently the Esser threads continue. I just bought a Model 6 that has been ground looped, ended up on it's back, and in need of repair. This will become my wife plane so I don't have to share

Looking for any Model 6 nuances. From what I gather the plane is almost the same as the 7 except firewall forward. Would these have the ethanol free tanks? I should be picking up the plane this week and will try to keep everyone in the loop.

So far I know I need:
    New windshield
    Right strut
    Propeller
    Prop strike inspection
    wing tips
    Aluminum header tank
    Potentially a new right flapperon
    Some wing ribs etc

52942892_2081268225301321_6743600023432331264_n.jpg52874819_961433050714711_4767441126221152256_n.jpg53285496_825647181123566_4031383924683833344_n.jpg52801049_310154526366445_3687634765449527296_n.jpg
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Esser's Model 6 Repair

I don’t think there is a difference for the 6 or 7 firewall forward... Why do you think they are?
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Wow! Looks like a fun project. Great find!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hey Josh you lucky dog! No the 6 didn't have the ethanol friendly fiberglass tanks I had my wings done when that was discovered.
    I intended to slosh the tanks but sold the unfinished kit before I got that far. I heard good and bad about sloshing but if had the chance I would just replace them now. You are in an elite club, The Series "6" club. That was the end of an era. John and Debra went on to better things when they got Kitfox out of the bankruptcy.

Wow! Great project. I recommend to strip the fabric off the wing to determine any damage not visible from the outside. While at that, strip the other wing and replace tanks to ensure there will be no problem later. Also, on the vertical stabilizer, after stripping off the fabric you can inspect to ensure there is no more damage there.

Just my thoughts.

Have fun with it.

Ralph

Josh, I'd recommend getting the main jigging points from Kitfox - i.e. wing pickup points, MLG pickups, tip of the vertical fin etc. You can then do a mensuration check to see if anything is twisted or not aligned. From reading the fb thread of the guy selling, I understand there's a bend tube above the cockpit - may be a sign of some twist or racking. Hate for you to do a lot of strip down and reconstruct and find you have a twist or other alignment issue that causes some balanced flight issues........ Just my thoughts.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Josh-

Fun project! You are indeed correct the engine mount was moved a few inches forward in the series 7 to help with CG when filling the baggage compartment. The baggage compartment is slightly smaller in the 6. Actually I think the baggage is the same size but the turtle deck doesn't extend as far rearward. The "swing chicken" as it is called, that bisects the elevator push tube is not there, instead a straight tube from the area of the mixer assembly to the elevator. There should be a shroud on the floor of the baggage compartment to protect the elevator push tube. There isn't a rake from the vertical stabilizer forward on the 6 and the elevator is smaller if that hasn't been updated. The smaller elevator isn't a huge issue if you don't change the firewall forward as the CG is slightly further back. If you do put the longer nose on it then I would absolutely put the bigger elevator on it or you won't be able to get it in to the 3 point attitude on landing with the more forward CG. Also, it most likely has non ethanol tanks (although I wouldn't put ethanol in any kitfox) and the plastic header tank is probably still in it. The rudder is rounded off, not square. On some, the control horns for the rudder are shorter (for a less sensitive rudder) but this causes the rudder cables to rub the fuselage and the linkages to leverage into the rudder. Hard to explain, let me know if you want pictures. Heater? Oil thermostat? Oil reservoir container location? Oil cooler location? Coolant radiator location? Movable rudder pedals? Trim switch is probably different, old design. Main Gear attach hardware probably different. Different flaperon brackets.

What motor is on it? If you are looking to go with a 914 the fit is very tight with the current engine mount. Let me know and I can send you some pictures.

These are the things I can come up with right now. My airplane is currently in Paul Leadabrand's hangar so I can give you some direct comparisons if you need any. Although you have that yourself now with two Kitfoxes. I will let you know if I think of anything else.

-Mark
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Sad to see that. That's the plane I was originally trying to buy last winter. I talked extensively with the original owner (actually his brother - the originally owner died before finishing it). The plane was completed by an EAA member somewhere up North there. Hope you got it for a good price and the engine is ok after the prop strike.

I think some of the differences from 6 to 7 depend on when the items were purchased. Mine is a 6 and when I got the FF forward kit in the fall I'm sure I was told it's the same as the 7. Nothing it mounted, so i can always take pics or measurements for you.

Also, I may have an extra flapperon (not sure which side off hand) if you want to take a look. It has a bit of damage to the skin where the hing tore through it from being compressed during travel.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

IMG_20170722_094109.jpg

This is what she originally looked like
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

. I heard good and bad about sloshing but if had the chance I would just replace them now. .
    I think since I'll be recovering and painting already, it's a good time to swap them out. I never put ethanol in my tanks but you never know if an accident etc. might happen.

Wow! Great project. I recommend to strip the fabric off the wing to determine any damage not visible from the outside. While at that, strip the other wing and replace tanks to ensure there will be no problem later. Also, on the vertical stabilizer, after stripping off the fabric you can inspect to ensure there is no more damage there.
    If the one wing is fine, I'll just cut out the tank area and pop the tank in. The other one I'll probably completely remove. The tail too.

Josh, I'd recommend getting the main jigging points from Kitfox - i.e. wing pickup points, MLG pickups, tip of the vertical fin etc..
    I think I have those all in my Super Sport manual but I will be thoroughly checking everything. I actually think the bent tube up top came from him putting his hand on the bar to brace himself as he flipped over, but it for sure warrants further inspection!

Fun project! You are indeed correct the engine mount was moved a few inches forward in the series 7 to help with CG when filling the baggage compartment...
    Thanks for all the great information! I'm just mulling over if I want to change the firewall forward now or if it will be fine as is. I'm not a huge fan of the two piece cowl set up. I guess with that swing chicken missing, you can't make an extended baggage area? I will probably enlarge the elevator if it hasn't been already since I'm covering and painting already.

The plastic header tank is in it but I will be replacing that. I think I get what you are saying about the rudder. Is it worth lengthening the horns? To answer the rest of your questions, from pictures it looks like: It has a heater, not sure about oil thermostat but the oil cooler is located just below the prop flange. Oil reservoir is in the center against the firewall. The coolant rad is on an angle mounted to some weird sheet metal baffle just below the engine. Looks like the baffle might actually be the firewall. It has adjustable rudder pedals, and the trim switch looks to be in the same location as my model 7. It has a 912ULS in it.

I think some of the differences from 6 to 7 depend on when the items were purchased. Mine is a 6 and when I got the FF forward kit in the fall I'm sure I was told it's the same as the 7. Nothing it mounted, so i can always take pics or measurements for you.

Also, I may have an extra flapperon (not sure which side off hand) if you want to take a look. It has a bit of damage to the skin where the hinge tore through it from being compressed during travel.
    Yes I believe the only make the 7SS FWF now but it bolts on the extact same. The Model 6 was a different design originally. I'm potentially interest in your flapperon! Let me know if it's the right side and how much you think you want for it!

Thanks for the info and questions everyone!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3