Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Esser's Model 6 Repair

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Esser's Model 6 Repair

OK, we picked up the plane and got it home. The plane is in better shape than I hoped. The spars are fine with no dings. The one wing has two bays of trailing edge that need to be replaced, and a few loose false ribs on the outboard end. Really a testament to the strength of this wing. The wing tips COULD be salvage able if you were good at Fiberglass-Reinforced which I'm not...

The rudder tail post is straight and undamaged but the foam tip got all smashed so the fabric still needs to be removed and that fixed.

Right now I'm leaning towards removing ALL the fabric from the wings so I can really inspect the wing and recover. I'm really not looking forward to that process but I think it will be cheap piece of mind.

I definitely need to order a new strut and a new flapper for the right side.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Gonna put Oratex on the wings?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Probably not. I’ll probably be recovering the entire plane and I can do that for about half the price of Oratex. Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s a cool product but the fact that some people having issues with it, coupled with the fact that covering is a weak spot for me, I figure I’ll stick with what I know since they don’t have the colour I want anyway!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great find! Glad your not finding it in worse shape. Should be a great plane after you massage the hurts out of it!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Well turns out the one wing was worse than expected. The rear spar bent at the number 5 rib where the I beam starts. I briefly spoke with Brandon and he said it's typically easier to build a whole new wing than replace a spar but it is possible. So I have some things to think about. I am going to call him Monday and talk about my options.

For some reason it wouldn't upload my pictures. I'll try again later.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

shoot, sorry to here that. Kinda a big hit depending on how you look at it. Shoot, you know how to build, I believe you said your wife built with you. Put a little sweat equity into it. Enjoy it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's a bummer Josh. I'm sure you were prepared for the possibility, but it's still a drag. One way or another I'm sure you'll get her all squared away.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

STi wing!!!!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I'm not sold on the STI wing. By the time you're all said and done, it's probably around $15,000+ and I can fix this for a couple thousand. Plus my plane already has a standard wing so if Nat's plane get's an STI wag then our planes won't have similar performance. I think I am going to play around with leading edge droop cuffs of my own design.

The bent wing is a bummer but I went into this expecting to have to rebuild two wings so anything beyond that is icing on the cake.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3