Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Kitfox 4 Owner!

Default New Kitfox 4 Owner!

I am about to sign my name to a Kitfox 4 1200 with Rotax 912 UL. Here is a quick video of me taking the plane up and around for a few landings. Any advice on what to look for as far as fabric or Kitfox 4 specific issues? This airframe and engine only have 600 hours on them as of now.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fB9wQEz16Q

Default Re: New Kitfox 4 Owner!

That was fun !
    David McCormick
    Kitfox Classic IV powered by Jabiru 2200
    Based at Jersey Shore, Pa P96

Thanks! I have been going over the forum and finding things I’d like to change on it. First will be the ADS-B addition and throttle cable pushing forward on its own issue.

The throttle pushing forward will be the easiest to fix. Attached are a couple of pictures showing the mounting of a counter acting spring that fixes that issue to near perfection. The only challenge might be finding the exact spring strength - but very inexpensive relative to most things airplane. The clamp around the throttle system housing can be an Adel Clamp or any similar clamp or simply a strip of metal with a couple of holes drilled for the securing bolt and bent around the housing. Some might recommend the new split throttle cable eliminating the wide bell-crank assembly used on the IV, but or me, at least, I like the set-up because it allows for the white gizmo in the lower left which is used as a very simple way to balance the carburetors when needed. By turning the white knobs, it allows for adjusting the length of the left throttle cable without wrenches - and even from the cockpit while the engine is running.
    Throttle Counter Spring 1.jpgThrottle Counter Spring 2.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell, the amount of things you have to share with us here is astounding. It seems you have done so many things to your plane, and with sound reason, that you have photos of it all to share too?! I don't even need this latest thing but it sure gets my brain to gather data for some future employ. Thanks
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

HighWing,

Thanks for that! Once I'm off rotation next Thursday that is the first thing I'm going to do. Thanks a lot for the info!

Cool video!

i grew up in Yuma!!!!

NICE! I like it out there. Originally from El Centro, CA. I was stationed there when in the Marines, then ended up moving back in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Lowell, the amount of things you have to share with us here is astounding.
    Eddie, thanks for the kind words. Thinking of what I do probably has more to do my my incessant tinkering than anything, except probably my age. Talk to me about modern stuff like computers and coding, and I would definitely have that dazed look on my face. The white thing in the corner - carburetor balance gizmo came from the experience restoring a 1923 Classic car in the 80s - Marmon Four Passenger Coupe. It had an engine derived from the Liberty Engines from WW I fame - Aluminum engine top to bottom, Dual ignition, Carb Heat and on and on. Timing the engine amounted to starting it with the hood open, rotating the distributor to smooth running, reaching for the throttle arm, increasing RPM then tweaking the distributor and presto, ready to go. I thought the same procedure could be used to balance the carburetors. The Gismo had about an overall quarter inch of movement for the cable on the left carburetor, but no go on the balance by ear. eighth inch either way didn't change engine smoothness at any RPM I tried it on. Still, though, an easy way to use the pneumatic balancer.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel