Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 1 Fuselage Tank

Default Model 1 Fuselage Tank

Hello to everyone,

Working on my completion of Model 1 SN133, which was originally built without the fuselage tank but with two six-gallon wing tanks. I don't think the original builder thought that situation through completely, since the CG ends up way aft under those circumstances. I'm adding some ballast up forward to compensate for flight tests, but I'd like eventually to add back the fuselage tank, either an original or a copy. I can weld aluminum if necessary.

I need maybe some photographs, drawings, or possibly a description of the tank itself to start the process. Anyone out there have anything? Original capacity was apparently somewhere around 9.75 gallons, arm forward of the datum, which makes quite a difference.

Any and all thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks in advance and Best Regards to all,

jda8818

KSEE, San Diego, CA

Default Re: Model 1 Fuselage Tank

Seems odd that the CG would end up way back, usually it's the other way on an early Kitfox. And what happens if you have the header tank and you burn off the fuel. What are you running for a motor? Also, don't mean to insult, but did you have the tail on the ground when you did the weights? Plane should be in a flying attitude. Floor boards level if I remember right. JImChuk

Here's the kitfox Model 1 weight and balance form from the builder's manual. The fuselage tank arm is 10 inches forward of the wing leading edge. Minus 10 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Here's the kitfox Model 1 weight and balance form from the builder's manual. The fuselage tank arm is 10 inches forward of the wing leading edge. Minus 10 inches.
    Yep, fuselage tank is forward of the leading edge (datum), whereas the wing tanks are obviously aft of the leading edge. Also, the header tank (which was added later) is behind the pilot/passenger seat at about +34 inches. So without the 58 lbs of fuel at a minus 10 inches and with 72 lbs at a plus 14 inches, plus the 7.8 lbs header fuel at a plus 34 inches the CG ends up aft. Not out of limits, but close with full fuel, ELT, pilot etc, all of which is aft of the datum. The airplane does not have a reputation for excessive directional stability, so for the 40 hour flight tests I'm adding 13 lbs at -34.25 inches (fwd two bolts of the engine mount supporting lead + steel) to bring the CG back where I think I'll like it. Once the flight tests are accomplished I'll either find a used fuselage tank or make a new one. I'm going up to El Mirage dry lake once it dries out (grin).

582 powered, and weighed with the bottom of the fuselage level. Main gear axles at 2.1 inches and tailwheel at 154 inches.

Thanks to everyone for their interest,

jda8818
    Last edited by jda8818; 03-06-2019 at 11:59 PM.